Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ivy

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, sometime, but does anyone (whether gardener or wild-life lover) have views about it?

I find pulling it off a rough wooden surface rather satisfying.

Comment

At ground level it covers our front garden which is attractive and easy to maintain. However, it also has a habit of climbing up trees and effectively strangling them by cutting off their light. Sure, it does provide a haven for birds and insects, but I think some control is necessary.

Comment

There seem to be opposing views about it;

either https://treestewards.org/take-ivy-off-trees/

or https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/tre...d-flowers/ivy/

We tend to favour wildlife over tidiness in our garden. That's our excuse anyway. But it would be interesting to know the science.

Comment

I remove it from the trunks of the various ancient fruit trees but, if I removed it from spreading up the house, where would my resident sparrows go to roost? So the ivy stays as I get far more pleasure from the sight and sound of them than I would from a pristinely ivy-free house. I'm sure that the RHS wouldn't approve but, hey ... The one plant against which I wage constant war is clematis vitalba, aka old man's beard, which I have - almost - eradicated from the garden. Slicing through its tendrils with the big loppers is very satisfying indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
            I find pulling it off a rough wooden surface rather satisfying.
            Great to hear greeilex! Haven't had to do it lately (since moving house), but pulling loads of it, well-established and with thick woody stems, off the front of a three-storey brick townhouse was absolutely horrible!

Thank you so-o-o much for reminding me<shudder-icon>
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              Haven't had to do it lately (since moving house), but pulling loads of it, well-established and with thick woody stems, off the front of a three-storey brick townhouse was absolutely horrible!
              Fancy having a go on ....

.... times gone by, chez nous

Comment

...I don't think our love of wildlife goes that far.

Comment

HATE it! Seriously.
                  BUT
                  hassle is that if it comes of a wall, you can pull all manner of cements / etc off as well.

...as I am currently discovering.....................grrrrrrrr!

Comment

Yes I do have a view - you can have too much of a good thing. It causes problems on the soft bricks and lime mortar common in this part of the world, and expensive repairs on the liste building that is my workplace. It also isn't helpful when it completely engulfs trees. There is a compromise that has to be reached in many cases.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                      Fancy having a go on ....

.... times gone by, chez nous
                      johnb: very reluctantly, I do have to concede that you'd beat me hands down for the garden-club ivy prize!
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

This, on the other hand....

...is one of several pear trees which (we guess) were originally trained espalier-fashion against a south-facing 12' high stone wall in part of our garden. As no-one has espalier-ed them in living memory, they have grown up and up, and so has the ivy; on them and the wall. Not only are they bird-heaven, but as one can see from the profuse blossom (pic taken today) they don't seem unduly affected by the ivy. You just need a head for heights to pick the pears...and get them before the birds and wasps do.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                          I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, sometime, but does anyone (whether gardener or wild-life lover) have views about it?
                          Provides a vital supply of nectar and pollen for honey bees in the autumn when other sources are in short supply. People who've tried to extract a late season honey from what they bring in say it tastes like engine oil, though.
                          And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                            Provides a vital supply of nectar and pollen for honey bees in the autumn when other sources are in short supply. People who've tried to extract a late season honey from what they bring in say it tastes like engine oil, though.
                            Could perhaps run Ivyco trucks on it then!

OG

Comment

Working...
                            X