Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    I thought UKIP made a virtue of thinking outside the box?
    I thought that it was boxing outside the think, but hey - what do I know?!...
    Last edited by ahinton; 18-12-14, 14:28.

Comment

Comment

Bellocs about b*ll*cks, one might say...
        Last edited by ahinton; 18-12-14, 17:29.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Bellocs about b*ll*cks, one might way...
          Hilaire-ious!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            Bellocs about b*ll*cks, one might way...
            Has to be from Exxex, to make "again" rhyme with "PM".

Comment

I am wondering what Hilaire Belloc has to do with that little poem. Did he like green eggs and ham or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                I am wondering what Hilaire Belloc has to do with that little poem. Did he like green eggs and ham or something?
                Looks like the work of a poetess to me, though it may not be particularly PC to say so ...

Comment

I fear that memory failure on my part as to misattribution on someone else's is at fault here; for some reason I had in mind that
                  I do not like thee, Dr. Fell
                  The reason why I cannot tell
                  But this I know and know full well
                  I do not like thee, Dr. Fell.

was by Belloc but, even if indeed so attributed, I see now that it long predates him.

Apologies!

Comment

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                    Looks like the work of a poetess to me, though it may not be particularly PC to say so ...
                    Your mental processes are exquisitely weird, I must say - why do you have that impression, pray tell? and what gives you the idea that it might "not be particularly PC to say so"?

Comment

Poetess is one of those gendered terms that implies a lesser status than its male counterpart, and for that reason it has dropped out of use.

Mt Tipps of course thinks the word is not used as a result of political correctness, but I think women poets may be allowed to be addressed however they prefer.
                      Last edited by jean; 18-12-14, 19:55.

Comment

Your mental processes are exquisitely weird, I must say - why do you have that impression, pray tell? and what gives you the idea that it might "not be particularly PC to say so"?
                        You've sufficiently answered your own second question by your initial words so no need for any further clarification from me! :laugh:

As to your first, let's just say an educated hunch on the available evidence!

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                          Poetess is one of those gendered terms that implies a lesser status than it ms male counterpart, and for that reason it has dropped out of use.

Mt Tipps of course thinks the word is not used as a result of political correctness, but I think women poets may be allowed to be addressed however they prefer.
                          Well of course only one lucky person knows what Mr Tipps thinks!

So logically you would refer to the Duke of Cambridge/Prince Kate and not the Duchess of Cambridge/ Princess Kate ...?

A tad confusing for the world's royal-watchers, maybe ...?

Comment

So logically you would refer to the Duke of Cambridge/Prince Kate and not the Duchess of Cambridge/ Princess Kate ...?

A tad confusing for the world's royal-watchers, maybe ...?
                            Don't be an arse
                            the word "poetess" has gone out of use
                            in the same way that Actors can be male or female

and

I'd refer to those folks you mention as 'benefit scroungers'

Comment

Didn't you tell us yourself it was a matter of political correctness?

If a feminine form is in common use, it isn't marked, and there's nothing odd about using is.

However if it's hardly ever used - and you're well aware of this, as you make clear - then using it makes a particular point.

If for example you refer to Marin Alsop as a conductress, conclusions will be drawn about your opinion of her. You need to be aware of that, as presumably you are - or you wouldn't have brought up your little obsession, again.

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                                Didn't you tell us yourself it was a matter of political correctness?

If a feminine form is in common use, it isn't marked, and there's nothing odd about using is.

However if it's hardly ever used - and you're well aware of this, as you make clear - then using it makes a particular point.

If for example you refer to Marin Alsop as a conductress, conclusions will be drawn about your opinion of her. You need to be aware of that, as presumably you are - or you wouldn't have brought up your little obsession, again.
                                I'm in no way qualified to express any sort of opinion about Marin Alsop and any silly and irrelevant conclusions drawn by others is their affair and certainly not mine!

The fact that you appear to object to the musician's gender being instantly noted suggests it might well be you that harbor's some sort of 'obsession' rather than myself?

Comment

Working...
                                X