• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Breaking the mould - it took 100 years!

What Roy Jenkins, David Owen, Bill Rodgers and Shirley Williams and their CSD/SDP couldn't do, Nigel Farage has!

We now have a four party British political party-system, but it took 100 years for a party other than the Conservatives or Labour to win a national election.

Arrogantly marking the electorate down as racist or stupid for being interested in a different, populist centre-right party, has cost the elite career-politicians dear.

Well done the UKIP for opening up the options for us.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

YEah right !
    Lets elect a dodgy ex stockbroker with very dubious financial history
    how very refreshing and "different"

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      YEah right !
      Lets elect a dodgy ex stockbroker with very dubious financial history
      how very refreshing and different"
      Play the ball, not the man, there's a good chap, Gongers ;-)

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Play the ball, not the man. There's a good chap, Gongers ;-)
        Same as it ever was
        I never thought that I would end up living in a Viz cartoon
        Terry Fuckwit for prime minister

Lets have a look at Nige's accounts then if he is SO honest ........ hummmmmmmm

Time to read The Mass Psychology of Fascism Methinks

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Same as it ever was

You're not taking this very well, are you?

Take a leaf out of ff.'s book ;-)

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

What Roy Jenkins, David Owen, Bill Rodgers and Shirley Williams and their CSD/SDP couldn't do, Nigel Farage has!
            They haven't yet won a seat in the House of Commons. In a General Election the turnout will be higher - and one could assume that all those who wanted UKIP voted in this election. FPTP won't be in their favour. They got 4m votes - they'll need about 11m to win a GE.

The SDP were winning 'safe-seat' by-elections with huge swings. When UKIP starts doing that, perhaps there will be a parallel. But look what happened to the SDP - the Two Party system ploughed on.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Where I like, I am surrounded by Little Englanders, many of whom make racist comments. Those with UKIP posters in their windows fit very much into this category and form a discussible segment of the gene pool.

On this occasion, I don't blame Nick Clegg.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                Where I like, I am surrounded by Little Englanders, many of whom make racist comments. Those with UKIP posters in their windows fit very much into this category and form a discussible segment of the gene pool.

Not sure how much benefit there is in discussing the characteristics of UKIP voters, but round here they come from all sections of society, as far as I can see.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Not sure how much benefit there is in discussing the characteristics of UKIP voters, but round here they come from all sections of society, as far as I can see.
                  Hummm

I don't think you will find many who can read a map !
                  (unless of course they are ignoring the "policy" of the 40 mile exclusion zone around the UK that doesn't seem to include parts of Northern France ?)

How many are keen on getting handguns back ? (another wonderful policy from the Kippers !)

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Well if you are right, then there are people at all levels of society who cannot read maps.
                    This wouldnt be surprising.
                    Neither is the thought that there is a good deal of very deep anti EU sentiment in our country.

This of course would be better channeled into better thought out strategies for smaller, more democratically responsive, less corrupt government, both in the UK and elsewhere.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      They haven't yet won a seat in the House of Commons. In a General Election the turnout will be higher - and one could assume that all those who wanted UKIP voted in this election. FPTP won't be in their favour. They got 4m votes - they'll need about 11m to win a GE.

The SDP were winning 'safe-seat' by-elections with huge swings. When UKIP starts doing that, perhaps there will be a parallel. But look what happened to the SDP - the Two Party system ploughed on.
                      It's whether or not things are different now. Back then, the view was that the electorate wanted pretty much the same policies from their parties, but more 'centre-flavoured'.

The world renowned psephologists at the University of Essex, chiefly Anthony King and Ivor Crew were consulted heavily in the late 70s and early 80s, by the 'gang of four', and the idea was that in going for the 'middle-ground', a credible political party would 'mop-up' the votes.

As we know party partisanship was much stronger than was thought, and the required party de-alignment did not take place.

Are voters more disaffected now, with parties, elites and career politicians, than with policies? The signs are that they are.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

That's a stereo-type of your own making. And talking of gene-pools in discussing people that you don't agree with, is worrying.

Maybe it all this says more about you, than it does about the UKIP supporters that you are maligning.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

All the people who would have voted UKIP, did.
                          That is still only 27% of a 34% turnout.
                          9.18% of possible electorate voted UKIP
                          Victory?
                          Ooops

Comment

• amateur51

Same as it ever was

At one time Nige was incandescent about the EU's accounts - I think you have a sound point there MrGG

Comment

• amateur51

That's a stereo-type of your own making. And talking of gene-pools in discussing people that you don't agree with, is worrying.

Maybe it all this says more about you, than it does about the UKIP supporters that you are maligning.
                              Has anyone else noted the speed and content of Bill Tong's replies in triumphalist mode?

The dyslexia doesn't seem to be much of an impairment this morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X