No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should we remember slavery?

One for ff, perhaps!

Hugh Muir: Bristol's obsequious monument to a slave trader is a sorry reminder of past mores, but perhaps the answer lies less in boycotts and more in celebration of the contribution of minorities

Is there still a Colston Hall?

Originally posted by jean View Post
    One for ff, perhaps!

Hugh Muir: Bristol's obsequious monument to a slave trader is a sorry reminder of past mores, but perhaps the answer lies less in boycotts and more in celebration of the contribution of minorities

Is there still a Colston Hall?
    There is - and there will be a concert from there during the forthcoming Brahms Experience on Radio 3

Our crusading local evening paper launched a campaign to change the name some years ago. They consulted their readers who by a strong majority said, No, thank you.

It seems to me the kind of 'empty gesture' politics that could probably never end. The large, relatively new, office block in the city centre is the Colston Tower, there are at least three schools, two secondary, one primary, bearing his name and, if I remember, some almshouses. Set his philanthropy against what in his day was not considered wrong. And no doubt if he were alive now, brought up in the 20th/21st centuries he would abominate slavery.

This issue comes up regularly in Bristol. Like finding someone else to pressurise for an apology. I think it's a kind of militancy which becomes counterproductive - it's the campaigning that people find tiresome. The Bristol bus colour bar seems to me more shameful because it was relatively recent.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Perhaps we still have issues to concern us - http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...d-thai-fishing so no need to remember slavery - it's still here and with us today.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Perhaps we still have issues to concern us - http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...d-thai-fishing so no need to remember slavery - it's still here and with us today.
        Dave, thanks so much for posting that link. What an awful state of affairs.

Lots of nice words from those with the power to do something, but not nearly enough real action, I would think.

Not always easy for the consumer/citizen to know what to do in these circumstances, but what an eye opener. :(
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Lots of nice words from those with the power to do something, but not nearly enough real action, I would think.
          Rather like having a British politician and a Hollywood actress calling for an end to rape in situations of war.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Rather like having a British politician and a Hollywood actress calling for an end to rape in situations of war.
            Covered in classy fashion today in the mail, I understand.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
            X