Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cameron's New Cabinet

I have to admit to some astonishment that news of the removal of Michael Gove from his post has been greeted on this forum with total silence.

Given the general opprobrium with which he usually has been associated here, I think it odd that the extinguishing of the only star to have shone in Dave's firmament of dismal mediocrity has passed unremarked. And I presume, unlamented. :erm:

Originally posted by Cornet IV View Post
    I have to admit to some astonishment that news of the removal of Michael Gove from his post has been greeted on this forum with total silence.

Given the general opprobrium with which he usually has been associated here, I think it odd that the extinguishing of the only star to have shone in Dave's firmament of dismal mediocrity has passed unremarked. And I presume, unlamented. :erm:
    I think you are looking in the wrong place :whistle:

Comment

Originally posted by Cornet IV View Post
      Some of us out celebrating?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

In a funny sort of way, its rather a shame that he no longer controls the country's education, because he certainly gave every sign of needing some. Now he just swings a whip and the recipients are all too likely to enjoy that to fear that it will to anything positive.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Some of us out celebrating?
          Yes but there are still the mainstays of Teresa's Nasty Party there - Hi Eric, OK Gideon!... and the new Foreign Secretary is definitely not an improvement on the previous model but a least we're spared Liam!

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            I think you are looking in the wrong place :whistle:

http://www.for3.org/forums/forumdisp...urrent-Affairs
            Clearly, I am. But not sure I have the stomach for participation in the other thread! :oh:

Thanks Mr GG.

Comment

Governments like the one we have will continue to remodel education as a pointless hoop jumping control exercise, sell arms to dangerous people, give contracts to their mates, destroy the remaining elements of cooperative society such as the NHS, and so on.
              getting rid of gove isn't really a leap forward.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Governments like the one we have will continue to remodel education as a pointless hoop jumping control exercise, sell arms to dangerous people, give contracts to their mates, destroy the remaining elements of cooperative society such as the NHS, and so on.
                A very depressing analysis Teamsaint - but one which sadly rings true at the moment.

I do however believe in a better future:peacedove:

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
                  A very depressing analysis Teamsaint - but one which sadly rings true at the moment.

I do however believe in a better future:peacedove:

Best Wishes,

Tevot
                  And so do I Tevs, so do I. I believe(dangerous things beliefs) in having eyes open to what is going on now, and expecting things to get better.

Expecting a better future is an important part of the way forward.

Most of us want to create and live in a better, more collaborative world, and I feel sure that this will come about. Nothing, not even Neocons systems and social Darwinist beliefs, can triumph for ever.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    ...and so on.
                    No, but it may at least halt some of the stupidity. I don't think that Gove really meant badly, but I don't think he has any idea of the difficulties of providing mass education, rather than educating an elite of the top 1-5% ability range. I have already commented on some of the unwanted (by me anyway) side effects of some of the policies. The scandalous transfer of assets to private organisations via academies from public ownership perhaps wasn't intended, but will lead to schools selling off land to developers - and doing deals via "enabling development" (Ha!) and in the long run some things will improve a bit, but nothing like as much as if decent plans and methods had been used to make suitable provision for educational resourcing. Of course with some models of government the government itself is not really responsible for much, providing or managing resources etc. - simply leave it all up to "market forces", but make sure that they can't really work sensibly anyway. Make sure that local authorities are rate capped, so they can't provide adequate resources anyway, even if the local community could actually afford to pay for them. Make sure that education and also planning departments either have no plans, or have really poor plans due to having to provide resources (which may included housing to specified targets) but with insufficient funding to make it all work.

This is Britain, or at the very least England, after all!

Comment

Sadly Grayling remains despite having as little respect for the rule of law as King John .

Albeit the High Court gave him an almighty and deserved kicking today over the proposed legal aid residence test .

Comment

Forum members might be delighted to learn that the gloriously indefatigable Mr Gove is set to make frequent appearances on our television screens in the run-up to the General Election. In fact he already appeared on BBC TV yesterday evening during an interview with a helpfully fawning Huw Edwards.

Mr Gove may not be quite as photogenic as his replacement at Education but he is clearly extremely intelligent and a skilled political operator to boot.

Those who think that this Grand BĂȘte Noire de la Gauche will now retreat in reputational tatters from public view are quite deluded.

Comment

Meanwhile, a corporate lawyer from a privileged background, with form for voting against gay marriage takes over at education about which she knows.......er...lots.....having a son.

As a side bet, I'm not thinking along the lines of abolishing free schools, supporting teachers, demanding more freedom and room for creativity in the classroom.

Comment

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps

Mr Gove may not be quite as photogenic as his replacement at Education but he is clearly extremely intelligent and a skilled political operator to boot.
                            As were Mussolini, Saddam Hussein and others. But they were still misguided and dangerous idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                              Forum members might be delighted to learn that the gloriously indefatigable Mr Gove is set to make frequent appearances on our television screens in the run-up to the General Election. In fact he already appeared on BBC TV yesterday evening during an interview with a helpfully fawning Huw Edwards.

Those who think that this Grand BĂȘte Noire de la Gauche will now retreat in reputational tatters from public view are quite deluded.
                              He's been shunted out of harms way because his boss couldn't afford the prospect of teachers on strike in the run-up to the General Election or having to stop Gove sniping at the Blessed Theresa. Skilled political operator my backside.

Comment

Working...
                              X