Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Don't get me wrong, i'm not opposed to people killing themselves.
    But isn't this the object of the Bill? To allow those who wish to die to be given drugs which they may take at a time of their own choosing (or not, if they change their mind), one of the criteria being that they must already be suffering from an irreversibly terminal condition and have no more than 6 months to live?

"A Bill To enable competent adults who are terminally ill to be provided at their request with specified assistance to end their own life; and for connected purposes."
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      No it's not
      because there will inevitably be some (maybe a tiny tiny number) of people for whom mistakes will be made.
      And in their interests (like those of innocent folks who are killed in the US for murders they didn't commit) we can't afford the risks.
      This is an entirely false analogy - those people were tried by a (possibly faulty) legal system & condemned to death. They did not request it. The people covered by this proposal have made it quite clear that they want to die at a time they choose, when they are ready.

All the examples you put forward as reasons for people not being given that choice are of people who have not made that choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        This is an entirely false analogy - those people were tried by a (possibly faulty) legal system & condemned to death. They did not request it. The people covered by this proposal have made it quite clear that they want to die at a time they choose, when they are ready.

All the examples you put forward as reasons for people not being given that choice are of people who have not made that choice.
        Mistakes happen, that is inevitable
        Some people "choose" things that they later regret, that is inevitable (unless you are like my mother!)

All i'm saying really in this analogy is that people have to be happy with "mistakes" happening.

I'm not, I don't trust the so called "safeguards" they can't be 100% reliable.

(Like the "safeguards" they have in the USA to stop innocent people being executed or the ones we have here to stop children and vulnerable people being abused and so on).

Should personal choice be held above all other considerations even if that choice has the effect of denying choice to others? (which I do think it does in this case, I know people disagree)
        Last edited by MrGongGong; 26-07-14, 06:15.

Comment

Working...
        X