Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the quality of ignorance is .....

Most people around the world are pretty bad when it comes to knowing the numbers behind the news. But how issues such as immigration are perceived can shape political opinion and promote misconceptions

which tends to support my thinking that it is the 'austerity' mood and 'small government' politics following the great financial theft from the taxpayer by the vampire squids of the City & Wall St that has persuaded an awful lot of people that there is not enough to go round, that we face real deprivation of resources ... the negative consequences for the peoples' incomes of the toff boys priorities has deeply incensed these concerns ....

there is no feeling of positive futures for youngsters, no sense of protection, no discretionary money ... so immigration becomes the touchstone ... and right wingers of UKIP and Tory suasions play it for all it is worth .... and no one arguing the real issues

it has not been nearly this bad a political miasma in my adulthood .... [the last days of Churchill and Eden were pretty awful but i was a kid]

on incomes see also:
    Rafael Behr: The Conservatives think they’ve beaten Ed Miliband on the economy. They should listen to austerity-hit voters
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

The articles themselves are quite interesting, though I'm less sure of your interpretations from them.

Comment

this sort of stuff

and the scare tactics of all despotic political leaders; they want every one scared, they want everyone to know who is to blame; what they do not want is for you to knaow that what they are going to do is not what you think it is .... so "austerity" is a pretext for small state Thatcherism and petty bourgeois wealth defence .... now if people think that there are say 20% of the population of the Muslim faith whereas there are 5% i do not think Mr Farage is going to spread the true facts ... he will continue to use immigration as code for race and being swamped eh? ... and so are the Tories .... it is extremely nasty [let them drown that will teach em eh Theresa?] ... the immigration brouha takes attention well away from the major economic fraud perpetrated by the Coalition in respect of austerity policies and the implosion of the tax base as income have fallen; and spending on public services has been reduced [this could not possibly explain the shortage of doctors it must be the flood of immigrants with ebola eh]

this is all much worse than the Enoch rivers of blood stuff; do not for one minute think that UKIP is not about race - immigrants are the new n word ... and not just here ... look across Europe [Hungary say] at the rise of the populist right and its nasty stuff about foreigners etc ...
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        this is all much worse than the Enoch rivers of blood stuff; do not for one minute think that UKIP is not about race - immigrants are the new n word ... and not just here ... look across Europe [Hungary say] at the rise of the populist right and its nasty stuff about foreigners etc ...
        Oh dear, more scare tactics!

Comment

not intended as such Beef Oven i am genuinely frightened of politics presently

Comment

not intended as such Beef Oven i am genuinely frightened of politics presently
            the ultimate scare tactic? make people afraid of that which might rescue them?
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

i do not think that the right has ever been att all concerned with rescue

and it is on the rise

fear of the foreign, the outsider, the alien is a core device of the right's political praxis .... and demonising the facts which contradict the nonsense they peddle .... the right has always been resistant to evidence .... for example the study on economic impact published yesterday .... see also

if you are asserting that there is no coherent social democratic response to the right's gains i am afraid you are correct imv ....

as i type i am listening to IDS wriggle his way through challenges at the Work Pensions Ctte in Parliament - this charlatan has done irreparable harm to the lives of disabled and disadvantaged people and has a record of being warned for false assertions and statistics by the National Statistical Service ... all scare about scroungers and tough penalties eh ... but no social justice
              Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 05-11-14, 12:48.

Comment

Good thread Calum, reading it while also listening to Neil MacGregor's History of Germany series on R4

Comment

fear of the foreign, the outsider, the alien is a core device of the right's political praxis
                  Only when and to the extent that it suits it; foreign countries are very convenient for trade deals, after all...

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    Complacency of this order is worthy of Mr Pee, and that's saying something.

Comment

Like this you mean ?

oooops

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        Like this you mean ?

oooops
                        Lol! Yes!

Wouldn't it be better use of your time, stirring your small Xmas penis-puddings, rather than reading the Express?

Comment

.............i do not think that the right has ever been att all concerned with rescue
                          They got the trains to run on time...............

Comment

They got the trains to run on time...............
                            Getting the trains to run on time in the first half of the 20th century was of course an essential precondition for efficient military mobilisation.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              Like this you mean ?

oooops
                              "Poverty-striken"? Wossat then?

Comment

Working...
                              X