Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the only way to go off-topic on an off-topic thread is to go on-topic ... ?

I'm sure some members might object to that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      I can't really think of an example of a Mahler symphony "going off-topic",
      It depends on the subject of the symphony - as they all seem to be about Mahler, they can't really go off-topic.

(I think that, in that sense - ie being about the composer - they bear a strong similarity to A la recherche du temps perdu, which, however much it might meander, is never about anything but Proust)

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        It depends on the subject of the symphony - as they all seem to be about Mahler, they can't really go off-topic.

(I think that, in that sense - ie being about the composer - they bear a strong similarity to A la recherche du temps perdu, which, however much it might meander, is never about anything but Proust)
        ... o, I think A la recherche is a leetle more universal in its scope than you imply :winkeye:

Comment

Oh yes, but the universe in Marcel, or Marcel in the universe (just as Mahler's symphonies are about how he sees the universe - or at least the world and heaven)

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            Oh yes, but the universe in Marcel, or Marcel in the universe (just as Mahler's symphonies are about how he sees the universe - or at least the world and heaven)
            Yes; Mahler wandering off-topic? The very idea would be funny if it weren't so utterly absurd!

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
              Yes; Mahler wandering off-topic? The very idea would be funny if it weren't so utterly absurd!

Comment

I was only wondering how long that might take you. The problem here, of couse, is that it's not Mahler doing the wandering, as well you know.

Keep Calm and Carry On Keeping Score, Mr Tippster...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  I was only wondering how long that might take you. The problem here, of couse, is that it's not Mahler doing the wandering, as well you know.

Keep Calm and Carry On Keeping Score, Mr Tippster...
                  It was merely meant to be a simple-minded joke in response to serious-minded pomposity, ahinton.

Btw ... do you never sleep?

Comment

Working...
                  X