Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Twere Facebook Wot Dunnit!

I have a lot of respect for Malcolm Rifkind. He has always come across as a politician of integrity, but his participation in the 'Facebook' smokescreen that is being put up divert attention away from the failings of MI5/6 with regard to Lee Rigby's killers gets us nowhere.

I suspect that he hardly knows what Facebook is, let alone, what it is capable of. Certainly he is not able to comprehend that the algorithms utilised by FB to monitor erratic or suspect traffic are deeply unsophisticated. They can scan for keywords and their repetition but there's no 'brain' behind the software. On Newsnight this evening he kept on pressing the point that FB refer possible paedophile traffic to the authorities, so why not terrorism (though he actually had no statistics to suggest what quantity of referrals might be bona fide).

For goodness sake, someone get him a ticket for 'The Imitation Game' and he might have an idea of the impossible scale of detection via social media; or better still, he might just stick to the main criticisms of his own report which centre on the failings of the intelligence services. If such an advanced and sophisticated community can't find a needle in a haystack (and who else could?) then what the hell does he really imagine Facebook is capable of?

My thoughts too. I read the reports and summaries of this pathetic buck passing exercise this morning and was not impressed. Then, being a constructive sort of person, I wondered what I would recommend to whoever. First, FB etc would need to be appraised of whatever technologies were appropriate and persuaded to instal and use them, plus employing trained people to check the messages highlighted. Who pays, how do we convince organisations in the USA to do our surveillance work for us? Perhaps GCHQ could establish exchange posts with FB et al? I'll bet there'd be a rush - swap Cheltenham for California for a couple of years. No - then back to the drawing board and sharpen up our own operation and stop hoping someone else, totally unqualified and unequipped, would give us hot information. Which, when it came, would probably be lost, ignored or Friday afternooned.

You will gather I am totally cynical and untrusting regarding our intelligence services and have no faith whatsoever in Malcolm Rifkind, fine Edinburgh lawyer as he may be.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
      ..... Certainly he is not able to comprehend that the algorithms utilised by FB to monitor erratic or suspect traffic are deeply unsophisticated. They can scan for keywords and their repetition but there's no 'brain' behind the software. ....
      Really? How do you know this? Are you privy to Facebook's internal workings? If so then a fair comment. If not......

Comment

Originally posted by arancie33 View Post
        You will gather I am totally cynical and untrusting regarding our intelligence services....
        So pray..do tell. What do you think they should be doing better? If you were Head of MI5/GHCQ what magic wand would you wield?

Comment

Originally posted by Risorgimento View Post
          So pray..do tell. What do you think they should be doing better? If you were Head of MI5/GHCQ what magic wand would you wield?
          Whinge...negative post...whinge...negative post..it's just the same old...same old...[yawn emoticon]
          Such self-knowledge

Comment

As a sometime, occasional customer, I found their attitude patronising and in the best traditions of "mother knows best". They are human like the rest of us and need to accept that sometimes their judgements are flawed by the lack of openness to question and discussion. And, in their traditions, I can go no further! As for the magic wand, I think it's called "manpower" (or woman-power of course")
            Last edited by arancie33; 26-11-14, 22:26. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Such self-knowledge
              And the point of your usual pathetic sniping post is what exactly? Haven't you got a new gay romance in the newspapers to wax lyrical about and bore us to death with?

Comment

Originally posted by arancie33 View Post
                ...... As for the magic wand, I think it's called "manpower" (or woman-power of course")
                And improved access to emails, mobile phones etc. of suspects.

Comment

And improved access to emails, mobile phones etc. of suspects.
                  May we start with yours and those of your friends and family?
                  Last edited by Guest; 27-11-14, 09:43. Reason: trypo

Comment

And the point of your usual pathetic sniping post is what exactly? Haven't you got a new gay romance in the newspapers to wax lyrical about and bore us to death with?
                    Do you not notice the huge amount of space devoted to celebrity boy-girl romances? I mention a few boy-boy romances and you go bonkers.

Calm down dear!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Do you not notice the huge amount of space devoted to celebrity boy-girl romances? I mention a few boy-boy romances and you go bonkers.

Calm down dear!
                      Hope he (assuming it is 'he') takes that bit of advice, before getting worked up into a right little state; unless you've inadvertently hit a raw nerve!

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        Hope he (assuming it is 'he') takes that bit of advice, before getting worked up into a right little state; unless you've inadvertently hit a raw nerve!
                        Not at all. I think judging by Am51 response I definitely touched a raw nerve.

Interesting isn't it. How certain trolls derail a thread consistently. I was half expecting Tonto and the Lone Ranger to come to his rescue.

Ah well...was it ever thus. I see Loser's Corner aka Political & Current Affairs hasn't changed.

Comment

Interesting isn't it. How certain trolls derail a thread consistently. I was half expecting Tonto and the Lone Ranger to come to his rescue.

Ah well...was it ever thus. I see Loser's Corner aka Political & Current Affairs hasn't changed.

Actually, some winners have been there of late.

Comment

Have you always been a dick?
                            Or did it come on slowly in your teenage years?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              Have you always been a dick?
                              Or did it come on slowly in your teenage years?
                              No sexism or ageism on this forum please ...

Comment

Working...
                              X