Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ho Hum

Seven mental health patients have killed themselves in England since 2012 after being told there were no hospital beds for them, the BBC learns.

Police are called to supermarkets across the UK amid crowd surges as people hunt for "Black Friday" offers.

who is mad is an interesting issue i feel .....

the lack of proper asylum facilities for the personally distressed and disabled is scandalous; i do hope the posh boys trust funds are worth it ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

the lack of care for older people blocks the hospitals

natch getting worse as cuts in care budgets take effect
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      the lack of care for older people blocks the hospitals

natch getting worse as cuts in care budgets take effect
      Or maybe not having fully-consultant led services with 7 days a week discharge (not ghost-town hospitals at weekends) might have something to do with hospitals being unable to manage their bed availability too. Very easy to blame the people lying in the bed, social services, family carers and government cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Or maybe not having fully-consultant led services with 7 days a week discharge (not ghost-town hospitals at weekends) might have something to do with hospitals being unable to manage their bed availability too. Very easy to blame the people lying in the bed, social services, family carers and government cuts.
        Does this make sense?

Comment

I think it does if you mess around a bit with the placing of the hyphens, thus:

fully consultant-led services with 7-days-a-week discharge
          (I remember being told off by a consultant for malingering in hospital when actually I was desperate to get out, but the consultant who did the op. hadn't been back to tell me I could go!)

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
            (I remember being told off by a consultant for malingering in hospital when actually I was desperate to get out, but the consultant who did the op. hadn't been back to tell me I could go!)
            That's the point!

Funny enough, my friend was signed of by the consultant surgeon yesterday and able to leave at 12.30. By 17.45, the hospital conceded failure and explained that they thought he'd gone for a scan!!?? Apparently it's £750 worth of cost to the NHS for a patient to stay per night. So losers all-round, there!

I think hospitals should sort out their internal bed-management issues before they start taking legal action against elderly people who are blocking beds, for whatever reason.

There are an awful lot of beds being blocked because hospitals mainly discharge between Tuesday and a mad rush on a Friday morning! So long as people's support is in place, discharge can be 24/7.
            Last edited by Beef Oven!; 29-11-14, 14:48.

Comment

look to the ££££££££££ first but i do agree that consultants can be self interested skivers, but not many; after all there is only one David Mellor [tell me that is true!]

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                look to the ££££££££££ first but i do agree that consultants can be self interested skivers, but not many; after all there is only one David Mellor [tell me that is true!]
                The £750 cost relates to a night's stay for a patient, not the consultant's cost. Not sure who you might be agreeing with about consultants being self interested skivers (?).

Comment

In my case, it was probably more than £750, because the NHS sent me to a private hospital, I was never sure why (and I wasn't principled enough to refuse to go there).

The reason it took me so long to get out was that the consultant was so busy doing operations at thwe local HHS outfit he didn't have the time...)

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    In my case, it was probably more than £750, because the NHS sent me to a private hospital, I was never sure why (and I wasn't principled enough to refuse to go there).

The reason it took me so long to get out was that the consultant was so busy doing operations at thwe local HHS outfit he didn't have the time...)
                    Then they should operate a 'surgeon of the week' or some other on call surgeon system. There would have been someone in the hospital at the correct level, who could have discharged you.

It's a managerial issue - I'm not blaming the consultant - they have enough to do without managing the day to day operational issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      Then they should operate a 'surgeon of the week' or some other on call surgeon system. There would have been someone in the hospital at the correct level, who could have discharged you.

It's a managerial issue - I'm not blaming the consultant - they have enough to do without managing the day to day operational issues.
                      The art of delegation.

Comment

Mr Bevin had a his own views about the consultants; my own experience of working with them in mental health is now dated - the most recent evident i have is the series Gerry Robinson made for tv on the management of the heath service with all its capital equipment and facilities idle for long hours, but especially on Friday afternoons .... many i have [alas] recent personal experience of seem decent people but one still meets the whingeing well off gp .... perhaps worse than any cadre and its failings is that good bad or indifferent none of the people in the NHS seem able to overcome the leviathan that is the NHS bureaucracy and establish truth and sanity in its management ...

Comment

er not to mention what goes on behind closed doors in the TTIP dealings and the resistance of agribusiness and the food industry to regulation of endocrine active substances

Comment

Working...
                          X