X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Barrett

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Could you give me an example of where antisemitism (is it a special and uniquely offensive hate crime? more than other persecutions?) is discussed without this being mentioned?
    All other things being equal it would not be a special and uniquely offensive hate crime, but the history of antisemitism, especially in the 20th century, makes all other things very unequal. Discussion of it doesn't invariably have to bring Israel in (I think it was you who first mentioned it on the closed thread) but given the situation in Palestine it seems increasingly to do so.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

On some discussion forums any discussion of this is explicitly banned.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

I'm not surprised, it can get very nasty and I've received a few threatening messages myself during discussions on the subject.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Please don't try to imply that the nastiness is all in one direction !

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
            I don't think that is implied at all

Comment

• Richard Barrett

There was no such implication; but in my experience one side of the argument tries to work with facts and the other with bullying and insults. Your experience may be different. Anyway, I don't much see the purpose in spending time discussing whether and how something we aren't going to discuss is being discussed!

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                There was no such implication; but in my experience one side of the argument tries to work with facts and the other with bullying and insults. Your experience may be different. Anyway, I don't much see the purpose in spending time discussing whether and how something we aren't going to discuss is being discussed!
                Point taken; there would indeed be an unintended irony should the post count of a thread asking why another's been closed come to exceed that of the said closed one!...

That said, in noting your observation that, in discussion of the subject that's now off-limits here, "in my experience one side of the argument tries to work with facts and the other with bullying and insults", I don't believe that such a situation is by any means confined to discussions of anti-semitism...

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  There was no such implication; but in my experience one side of the argument tries to work with facts and the other with bullying and insults. Your experience may be different.
                  It is. Please stop this now.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

It is. Please stop this now.
                    Beef Oven was recently urging people to "back-off" (though why the hyphen I do not know). You are now asking Richard to "stop this" (without being entirely clear as to what "this" is). That seems to me to illustrate two instances of members telling others what to do (and/or what not to do). Does the mere fact that Richard's experience is indeed different to yours mean of itself that he should shut up about its being so?

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Every accusation of bullying and insults without any examples gives the impression that that's all there is to be said. It isn't, but we are not going to get any further here.

So can we all please stop?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

my thoughts exactly jean
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Every accusation of bullying and insults without any examples gives the impression that that's all there is to be said. It isn't
                          The fact that the succinctness of Richard's post was such as to leave no room for the provision of such examples doesn't mean that he couldn't have provided any; indeed, I'm sure that he could have done, as they're from his own experiences.

Ah, well...

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Yes, and I could have provided counteriexamples from my experience, too.

But we are not going to have this discssion here. So can we - all of us I mean - stop the innuendo? Now?

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Yes, and I could have provided counteriexamples from my experience, too.
                              I have no doubt that this is the case.

But we are not going to have this discssion here.
                              The subject under discussion here is, as best I understand it from the thread title, the reason why the other thread had been closed; if we're not to have that either, then this thread may as well be closed likewise, for there will be nothing to post into it.

So can we - all of us I mean - stop the innuendo? Now?
                              I have no idea; much presumably depends upon what you consider to be "innuendo" here and, if by it you mean anything and everything that's posted here, once again the only ways to stop would either be to close the thread or for everyone to agree to post nothing further to it, of which the latter option might arguably be thought to render its existence rather pointless.
                              Last edited by ahinton; 10-12-14, 14:01.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Y- stop the innuendo? Now?
                                That's a bit stiff ;-)

(I'm not sure you meant "innuendo" ? )

Comment

Working...
                                X