X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    This kind of thing is better sorted out by PMs. If posts are offensive, they shoo;d be reported. by clicking on the triangle.
    Agreed

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

and rather than being added to the 'Why has the truth ...' thread Rissy's thread should have gone straight to the dungeon.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I've merged these two threads as I don't see much point in it being discussed on the open forum where the majority of members don't understand what is being said. As there seems to be some dispute of a factual nature, may I suggest that Risorgimento is admitting that his behaviour in the past has not have been exemplary, nor has that of others: he names Mr GongGong, amateur51 and Flosshilde.

He suggests a goodwill truce where both sides respect the members commenting and either respond - respectfully - to comments made or don't respond at all. 'Witty' one-liners are tedious for everyone except the 'wit' who posted them.

I should say that I resolved two days ago to close the P&CA forum on Christmas Eve and impose a total ban on all political discussion, however marginal (Platform 3 to remain for light-hearted general discussions). The chorus of general disapproval here over the closed thread having died back, I have rethought the resolution - for the moment.

May I suggest that the basic request of Risorgimento should be adopted? Those who don't agree or 'don't understand' what that refers to had better be excluded from P&CA altogether. This is the season of goodwill ...
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          May I suggest that the basic request of Risorgimento should be adopted?
          No problem here, although I'm sceptical about his motives.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            No problem here, although I'm sceptical about his motives.
            Likewise.

He's been pretty rude about you too, french frank so I don't understand why you're giving him the oxygen of publicity.

But you can't have it all I guess :lol:

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

May I suggest that the basic request of Risorgimento should be adopted? Those who don't agree or 'don't understand' what that refers to had better be excluded from P&CA altogether. This is the season of goodwill ...
              If I am one of the people whom he claims to have sent a PM to then where on earth is it?

and wot Floss said

One of the (and i'll probably get banned for this but HERE goes , an hour of Messiaen in Lincoln Cathedral this afternoon almost made me believe ;-) ) things that the apologists for unacceptable actions (Mark Regev being the perfect example ............. and whoosh I vanish in a puff of smoke?) is to make out that YOU are the one being "reasonable" and "civilised".

Wot floss said

BUT hey folks, 1 hour of Messiaen and a fine malt ....... I luuuuuurve you all XXXXXXXXX

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                He's been pretty rude about you too, french frank so I don't understand why you're giving him the oxygen of publicity.
                But I don't consider it necessary to be rude back or retaliate in any way, because I would consider that a waste of energy.

I wouldn't waste my time wondering what devious motive lay behind it either. You accept the proposition (in good faith) or you don't.

There is also, possibly, a difference between saying things calculated to annoy people and saying things with which they'll disagree. In the first case you're baiting them to be rude - and they usually are - in the second case there is at least a chance of an intelligent debate.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

There is also, possibly, a difference between saying things calculated to annoy people and saying things with which they'll disagree.
                  There are one or two people who do both (in the same post) - which makes me suspect that the first is their primary interest. There are many people who manage to post opinions that they must know others will disagree with, but manage to do it in such a way that doesn't imply (or state openly) that only an idiot would disagree. Which means that they are interested in intelligent debate and not disparaging & provoking people.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

There are now considerably more posts in the thread about why the "Truth" thread was closd than there were in the "Truth thread itself"; I wonder what message, if any, that fact might send?...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      There are now considerably more posts in the thread about why the "Truth" thread was closd than there were in the "Truth thread itself"; I wonder what message, if any, that fact might send?...
                      People like to have rambling conversations?

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        If I am one of the people whom he claims to have sent a PM to then where on earth is it?

and wot Floss said

One of the (and i'll probably get banned for this but HERE goes , an hour of Messiaen in Lincoln Cathedral this afternoon almost made me believe ;-) ) things that the apologists for unacceptable actions (Mark Regev being the perfect example ............. and whoosh I vanish in a puff of smoke?) is to make out that YOU are the one being "reasonable" and "civilised".

Wot floss said

BUT hey folks, 1 hour of Messiaen and a fine malt ....... I luuuuuurve you all XXXXXXXXX
                        And the same to you, Ms GongGong ... :-)

You are certainly right about Messiaen and a fine malt though one can choose some Bach or Bruckner as an alternative mix, according to taste.

The mere words of a preacher, however accomplished, are simply no match!

Btw ... wot DID Floss say ... ?

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                          Btw ... wot DID Floss say ... ?
                          "no no, it was Rev. Green in the vestry, with a thurible. "

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                            • Jun 2014

Knew it was him/her, all the time! :-)

Comment

• amateur51

But I don't consider it necessary to be rude back or retaliate in any way, because I would consider that a waste of energy.

I wouldn't waste my time wondering what devious motive lay behind it either. You accept the proposition (in good faith) or you don't.

There is also, possibly, a difference between saying things calculated to annoy people and saying things with which they'll disagree. In the first case you're baiting them to be rude - and they usually are - in the second case there is at least a chance of an intelligent debate.
                              There's gnomic.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

Amongst other things.

Comment

Working...
                                X