Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.... this is the end my friend

This invaluable book, subtitled ‘from competition to the foundational economy’, describes the failure of a 30 year old policy experiment with competition and markets and proposes a new experiment in social licensing of foundational activities. The repeated failure of that old experiment in subjecting the basics of everyday life to competition is conclusively demonstrated by detailed case studies of three sectors broadband, food supply and retail banking, where private sector business models lead to underinvestment, damaged supply chains and gouged customers. The radical move is then to change the frame and envisage a new experiment. The three sectors are only part of a much larger foundational economy, producing mundane goods and services which form the basis of civilised life. In this sheltered zone, firms and sectors enjoy privileges which bring profit. The book argues for a new experiment in social licensing whereby the right to trade in foundational activities would be dependent on the discharge of social obligations in the form of sourcing, training and living wages. This argument for reframing economic policy choices comes from a team of researchers and policy advocates based at the Centre for Research on Socio Cultural Change who blog as Manchester Capitalism. Their book combines rigour and readability to suggest a better way of organising the fundamentals of economic life as a way out of the current impasse. Such a radical strategy is essential to replace the current vacuum in ideas, resulting in a dispirited economic consensus and voter apathy. Reading this book should help remove the need for a question mark in its title.
    THE END OF THE EXPERIMENT? MANCHESTER UNIVERSITY PRESS ISBN: 978-0-7190-9633-4

Aditya Chakrabortty: Taming corporate power: The state has the powers to make business serve us better. A north London borough is leading the way

way to go Enfield ....

a reminder
    OECD report rejects trickle-down economics, noting ‘sizeable and statistically negative impact’ of income inequality

Once upon a time, in the middle of the last century, America had a thriving economy in which the middle class was at the center and everyone—poor and rich alike—did better. But then, starting in the late 1970s, a group of self-serving rich people began to sell a promise that if we took better care of them, their wealth would trickle down, and that would help everyone else prosper. The country bought that line. And for three decades both parties yielded to it. The results were great for the very rich—and disastrous for everyone else. Wages stagnated. Inequality became extreme. Mobility slowed. By 2008, things were so upside down and we had so lost our way that the economy collapsed. Out of that ruin, many began to remember the old ways: the truth that lasting growth and shared prosperity come from the middle out and not the top down. Now we are joined in a battle of ideas to see whether middle-out economics can dethrone trickle-down.
    further reading
    Middle-out economics argues that prosperity doesnt trickle down from the wealthy or corporations; rather, it flows in a virtuous cycle that starts with a thriving middle class.
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

and
    A Conservative member of a cross-party report on the issue of food poverty declared that one of its principal causes was that 'poor people do not know how to cook'

genius in a beard ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

pennies dropping all over the place

The government is too dependent on a handful of "quasi-monopoly" private companies to provide public services, MPs warn.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        pennies dropping all over the place

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30399245
        Four days on and no responses.

Perhaps everyone thinks the same as me.........b...o....r...i....n....g

It is tiresome to keep seeing the same old chestnuts being posted time after time after time.

Comment

Another reason for putting the political discussions down here in the Basement is that the majority who find them boring don't have to read any of them.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Another reason for putting the political discussions down here in the Basement is that the majority who find them boring don't have to read any of them.
            Strange argument. I find The Choir thread boring but I manage to avoid reading it even though it is upstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Risorgimento View Post

It is tiresome to keep seeing the same old chestnuts being posted time after time after time.
              Do you have something to say on the subject addressed in this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                Do you have something to say on the subject addressed in this thread?
                I have little doubt that, if he had, he would have said it...

Comment

This thread is so pointless, it looks as if it's disappeared up its own proverbial!

Comment

I guess the purpose of this thread was to draw attention to articles suggesting alternative capitalist models to the present one.

The reason for my not previously contributing is that I remain unconvinced that those in whose hands the future of global capitalism resides are not quite happy to see the immiseration of the vast majority of the world's population(s) in order to hang onto their wealth, privilege and control over how everyone else thinks, spends or starves, including their idolisers and other sundry pessimists and defeatists, even if this leads to irreversible climate change, natural resource exhaustion and environmental ruination. At which point, they in their tiny numbers (which is what makes it so infuriating that the majority of us continue to bow and scrape to them) will presumably have devised means to escape so that they can replicate their will to domination over some other poor planet, should they manage to find one, leaving those on Earth to return to the condition of subatomic particles.

Comment

Four days on and no responses.

I think that very few people think the same as you.
                      And what Cage said about "boring"

. I refuse to be trolled by cretins.

There is zero moderation on this board.

Goodbye.
                      Be a good chap and shut the door on the way out please.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        I think that very few people think the same as you.
                        And what Cage said about "boring"

Be a good chap and shut the door on the way out please.
                        What..and leave Loser's Corner to its own devices? Someone has to make you guys wake up to reality. Life's a bitch. Then you die. Get over it.

Comment

What..and leave Loser's Corner to its own devices?
                          Not knowing where that is (although you could find it easily by using a mirror), I cannot answer your question but, as simply shutting the door on the way out was all that was asked of you, you may as well just leave it at that.

Someone has to make you guys wake up to reality.
                          Have you been formally charged with such a task? If so, when and by whom?

Life's a bitch. Then you die. Get over it.
                          I don't think that one can get over very much after dying, but perhaps you're party to some secret that the rest of us here are not.

Comment

What..and leave Loser's Corner to its own devices? Someone has to make you guys wake up to reality. Life's a bitch. Then you die. Get over it.
                            At least Simon Says and Mr Pee were illogical positivists!

Comment

i am over it

What was the appeal and the tropes of national-patriotic discourse in nineteenth-century Italy? How did Romanticism intersect with nationalist politics? Why did a young man or woman become a patriot, join a nationalist movement and, if necessary, fight and die for the cause? By addressing these and other questions, the innovative essays of this collection provide fresh and topical perspectives on a central period in modern Italian history. Beside confronting the narrative of 'Risorgimento', its gendered tropes, and the actual experiences of men and women, the authors approach neglected areas of investigation on the Risorgimento - from the relationship between religion and the nation to the connections with the issue of empire and the aspirations of other peoples in the Mediterranean region. An important contribution to our understanding of Italian and more generally European nationalism, this volume also enlightens current discussions about the role of patriotism and the nature of nationalism in present-day Italy.

Comment

Working...
                              X