Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
    The point is surely that the comments were not racist, as even the FA appears to concede.

Imho, by far the most offensive factor in this absurd case is the outrageous suggestion that Whelan is a racist.

At worst he was simply unwise to even think of uttering words now deemed to be 'unacceptable'.

He should have known better and displayed more caution with his words, but to punish a man or woman for outmoded and stereotypical language regarding other races is distinctly worrying for those who genuinely cherish freedom of speech?

The fact is he has been punished solely for his comments and nothing else!
    But he was punished for that for a reason!

There's a hole in my bucket...

Comment

The fact is - persons on a certain age think nothing of saying they're going down the Slinky Chinky for a take away. It's a generational thing common in old codgers. However, his other comments were definitely anti-semetic which worryingly is on the rises, and for that he should be told off.

Comment

The fact is he has been punished solely for his comments and nothing else!
        With the introduction of various sorts of 'hate speech' legislation, that is what happens. You have ignored the 'exemplary' argument - that a man in his position in football should, as you say yourself, 'have known better'. And as ahinton would no doubt say, well, he kens the noo.

The entire issue of what people 'say' is high profile with Twitter and cyber bullying now rife.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          The entire issue of what people 'say' is high profile with Twitter and cyber bullying now rife.
          Yes, and never mind if there's truth in it - lets go and torch a pediatrician because he looks foreign, and let's 'all the people who've ticked 'like' on your Facebooker page' denounce you because, quite frankly, you're not so fashionable now ...
          Personally, if I had my way with Lord Berners, I'd ban the internet for 6 months and let people get a life.

Comment

With the introduction of various sorts of 'hate speech' legislation, that is what happens. You have ignored the 'exemplary' argument - that a man in his position in football should, as you say yourself, 'have known better'. And as ahinton would no doubt say, well, he kens the noo.

To compare what Whelan said in a Guardian article and some of the idiots to be found everywhere on the internet is unhelpful. Whelan actually referred to himself as a 'Limey' without a murmur of complaint from anybody ... double standards again?

You, yourself, have been accused of making 'derogatory' remarks about KD this very afternoon, and this is the danger. Soon everyone will be so frightened of causing 'offence' to over-sensitive souls they will simply be reluctant to say what they really think.

Give me a Richard Barrett or Beef Oven, any day of the week. I may disagree with most or many things they say but I uphold their right to say it!

Comment

I'm sorry that this forum will close.
              I have learned a good deal on here, from many of the contributors, which surely is the point. My days of believing in party politics seem well behind me, but Individually we still need to find ways to keep hope for a better future, so maybe there are other ways to do that, and other places to discuss the possibilities.

(Oh, and I'm a good deal more careful about my carrier bags, and recycling in general now !)
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                if I had my way with Lord Berners,
                I don't think he would have enjoyed it very much.

Comment

To compare what Whelan said in a Guardian article and some of the idiots to be found everywhere on the internet is unhelpful.
                  Fining and banning Mr Whelan was one of the things I'm NOT responsible for. I'm merely highlighting the current situation to explain why others get twitchy.
                  Whelan actually referred to himself as a 'Limey' without a murmur of complaint from anybody ... double standards again?
                  A reference to English(?) sailors drinking lime-juice to avoid getting scurvy. Not particularly offensive, is it?

You, yourself, have been accused of making 'derogatory' remarks about KD this very afternoon, and this is the danger. Soon everyone will be so frightened of causing 'offence' to over-sensitive souls they will simply be reluctant to say what they really think.
                  Possibly, though I at least have a clearer idea of a distinction between negative criticism based on a particular example and being derogatory.

Give me a Richard Barrett or Beef Oven, any day of the week. I may disagree with most or many things they say but I uphold their right to say it!
                  The law of the land allows for free speech - it's not being removed. If people come to this forum primarily to discuss 'politics' they're really ignoring its main purpose.

There have been enough warnings about what Anna has called the Yah-Boo stuff, and I'm fed up. That's all. I fully expect to be the one who gets the flak - a rare moment of agreement and solidarity on all sides. From my point of view, it's other people who've made the decision. But I've allowed people plenty of time to throw their rotten eggs at me. Make the most of it :-)
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Fining and banning Mr Whelan was one of the things I'm NOT responsible for. I'm merely highlighting the current situation to explain why others get twitchy. A reference to English(?) sailors drinking lime-juice to avoid getting scurvy. Not particularly offensive, is it?

Possibly, though I at least have a clearer idea of a distinction between negative criticism based on a particular example and being derogatory.

The law of the land allows for free speech - it's not being removed. If people come to this forum primarily to discuss 'politics' they're really ignoring its main purpose.

There have been enough warnings about what Anna has called the Yah-Boo stuff, and I'm fed up. That's all. I fully expect to be the one who gets the flak - a rare moment of agreement and solidarity on all sides. From my point of view, it's other people who've made the decision. But I've allowed people plenty of time to throw their rotten eggs at me. Make the most of it :-)
                    Well, that's fine ... it's your forum after all!

However, I've not noticed you have been particularly averse to joining in 'political' discussion and giving as good as you get ...

If you are now 'fed up' with it all, that's something only you can resolve but no use blaming members for simply taking advantage of a forum facility that you, yourself, provided!

What you (and Anna) realistically expected from a politics and current affairs sub-forum apart from much 'Yah-Boo stuff' is quite another question ...

As I said before it's been good while it lasted so many thanks for that and I wish you a most happy and rewarding New Year!

Comment

What you (and Anna) realistically expected from a politics and current affairs sub-forum apart from much 'Yah-Boo stuff' is quite another question ...
                      I expected a discussion - not a bar room brawl - sort of a lot of grown ups talking about stuff .... 'Twas not to be!! And a Merry Hogmany to Youse Too"

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        I expected a discussion - not a bar room brawl - sort of a lot of grown ups talking about stuff .... 'Twas not to be!! And a Merry Hogmany to Youse Too"

Thank you, Anna .... how sweet!

Ah, the good old days at the BBC ....

Andy Stewart and The white Heather Club 1960. Auld Lang Syne.

Comment

Working...
                        X