Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
    No, it's not, but AV was widely seen as a first step towards a a true proportional system by its advocates.
    Whatever gave you that idea?

Many of those who'd hoped for a more proportional system were very much against AV because they felt it would set back the campaign for PR for at least another generation.

Both FPTP and the Monarchy have the clear, undeniable backing of the great majority of the UK electorate
    I don't know how large a majority you'd consider qualifies as great, but remember that in the recent general election 44% of the electorate showed their clear, undeniable backing for FPTP by not voting for anyone at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post

Many of those who'd hoped for a more proportional system were very much against AV because they felt it would set back the campaign for PR for at least another generation.

I don't know how large a majority you'd consider qualifies as great, but remember that in the recent general election 44% of the electorate showed their clear, undeniable backing for FPTP by not voting for anyone at all.
      And I'm not sure if there has ever been a referendum in this country to decide on keeping the monarchy or not. So that dispenses with the tipster's claims as to its democratic credentials.

Comment

I read and listen quite a lot ...

I accept that some proportional advocates may have sulkily withdrawn their votes in the referendum because what they really wanted was not on offer. However, many others were on record as saying they would vote for AV as that was the better system on offer (for them), and certainly preferable to FPTP (for them).

Ah ... you mean the sort who tend to continually moan that their glass is half-empty rather than be cheered that it is half-full?

Well, they were wrong weren't they? By refusing to vote in the referendum they only ensured that their despised FPTP is here to stay for a very long time.

How silly!

don't know how large a majority you'd consider qualifies as great, but remember that in the recent general election 44% of the electorate showed their clear, undeniable backing for FPTP by not voting for anyone at all.
        Strange, wonderfully subjective logic ...

However, even by your very own highly-individualistic reckoning a clear majority still voted in favour of FPTP, whatever one might define as 'great'?

So your chosen "kite" in argument against FPTP is seen to collapse before it even manages to get off the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          And I'm not sure if there has ever been a referendum in this country to decide on keeping the monarchy or not. So that dispenses with the tipster's claims as to its democratic credentials.
          That last sentence is beginning to sound very much like another valued poster, S_A!

Talking of which ... fancy organising an e-petition to Parliament in favour of a referendum on the continuance of the monarchy?

Dave just loves referendums!

Comment

This is all a bit like republicans wanting to ditch the monarchy because they say it is 'undemocratic'.
            If you consult your trusty dictionary you will find that it IS 'undemocratic'.

Both FPTP and the Monarchy have the clear, undeniable backing of the great majority of the UK electorate. Nothing could be more 'democratic' than accepting the majority will of the people.
            Do they?
            You seem to be sure of something with no evidence at all

I've worked out what you do for a living

YOU are a homeopath aren't you?

Fetishising 'democracy' as the way to answer ALL questions is very foolish IMV

here are some people who know a bit about what they are talking about

Letters: George Osborne’s proposals are not fit for the complexity of a modern 21st-century economy and, as such, they risk a liquidity crisis that could also trigger banking problems, a fall in GDP, a crash, or all three

But don't trust them ASK that nice chap you met walking your dog the other day

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              If you consult your trusty dictionary you will find that it IS 'undemocratic'.

Do they?
              You seem to be sure of something with no evidence at all

I've worked out what you do for a living

YOU are a homeopath aren't you?

Fetishising 'democracy' as the way to answer ALL questions is very foolish IMV

here are some people who know a bit about what they are talking about

Letters: George Osborne’s proposals are not fit for the complexity of a modern 21st-century economy and, as such, they risk a liquidity crisis that could also trigger banking problems, a fall in GDP, a crash, or all three

But don't trust them ASK that nice chap you met walking your dog the other day
              Indeed, George Osborne is an extremely nice chap, MrGG ...

Comment

Indeed, George Osborne is an extremely nice chap, MrGG ...
                He might be a "nice chap" but is a total ar*e and you really wouldn't want him to be in charge of the scissors

Comment

Dave just loves referendums!
                  Shouldn't that be referenda?

Comment

No.

Comment

Well. yes ... but, unless it's published in The Guardian, Flossie is most unlikely to be impressed, I fear ...

I must admit I have used 'referenda' in the past and also 'stadia' (which now sounds to me even more pretentious!)

However, in the ever-increasing wisdom of advancing years, I have long come to the conclusion that we are all supposed to be communicating in English not Latin, and because a word has been borrowed from the latter does not mean we must stick to the grammatical rules of that long-defunct secular language. This, of course, also applies to modern foreign lingoes. When we order half-a-dozen pizzas from the local take-away we wouldn't describe thus as 'six pizze' now, would we? I'd like to see Flossie try that one out in Glasgow, even with that city's long-celebrated and justly-proud large Italian community!

All this seems so obvious to the more logical thinker, doesn't it, Jean ... ?

Comment

Referenda simply sounds more elegant than referendums. And according to Scotty tipps' favourite dictionary: noun (plural referendums or referenda)

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          Referenda simply sounds more elegant than referendums. And according to Scotty tipps' favourite dictionary: noun (plural referendums or referenda)
                          One is delighted to note that dictionaries have suddenly and quite remarkably entered the referential lives of some members.

Whatever the debate one is always inclined to gratefully acknowledge and even celebrate the introduction of fact as well as mere opinion or simple preference. Especially if it confirms the unimpeachable validity of a simple and regularly-used English word, as in this case.

A thousand brave, Flossie!

Comment

Working...
                          X