Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ageism

Elderly people will be treated like second-class citizens and denied medical care under new targets which give priority to saving the lives of young people

I am not completely clear about the issues here, but if the intention is to try to deter countries from giving sensble care to older people, then I am very much against it. The UK should stand against such measures. Conserving resources and using them effectively may be a good thing, but needlessly drawing a line based on age to deny someone reasonable care seems cruel and immoral.

I think it's a good thing. Medicine is practiced in an indirectly racist, discriminatery way. It emphasises treating elderly white European people and should focus more on preventing premature death, which affects third world, non-White people disproportionately.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      I think it's a good thing. Medicine is practiced in an indirectly racist, discriminatery way. It emphasises treating elderly white European people and should focus more on preventing premature death, which affects third world, non-White people disproportionately.
      Presumably the poster of this message has been fitted with an irony by-pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Presumably the poster of this message has been fitted with an irony by-pass.
        "Irony-sky" bypass more like..... (did you see what I did there?)

Comment

No.

It might be worth looking at life expectancy in 'third world' or 'developing' nations, and indeed discrepancies in life expectancy in the UK - with the increase in retirement age/state pension age there are people in many areas who won't be able to retire & receive a pension before they die.

Comment

Pass the violin, please.

Kumbaya..mmm...mmm...kumbaya.

The NHS is being driven to its knees by demographics and its inability to say 'No, I'm sorry, your body is ageing and there is nothing that medical science can do for you'. That's not to say I advocate withholding treatment for a disease that is treatable, before you all go off on one.

We need triage in the NHS.

At the top in terms of priority are those in the medical profession because it is they who we need in good health to look after us.

Next, are those people who, for example, need operations because they have illnesses that are outside their control.

Lastly, those who need operations, for example knee replacements, simply because of their own over-indulgence and lifestyle.

One could argue that there is another lower fourth level reserved for politicians. But I guess Teamsaint reserves this for bankers !
            Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
              Lastly, those who need operations, for example knee replacements, simply because of their own over-indulgence and lifestyle.
              How does this work?

Are you suggesting that knees only give way because their owners are very fat?

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                How does this work?

Are you suggesting that knees only give way because their owners are very fat?
                No I'm not although you know as well as I do that in some circumstances an overweight person is going to need surgery or treatment of some sort or other that is as a result of them being overweight.
                Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Working...
                X