Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Don’t confuse expertise with "experts" and you’ll be fine.
    Said the man who puts his trust in spivs and liars

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      I'm not sure of this at all
      I heard a very interesting interview on R4 a few weeks ago (can't remember the exact details, sorry) with an ex ambassador from the UK to another EU country who was saying how folks in the UK often make the mistake of thinking that everything is about economics and trade.

I think those in politics like to tell us that if we vote "for" them we will be financially better off and many people fall for this putting their own self interest above others which IMV is rather sad.

The economy and terrorism are the top two issues for voters this fall. Overall, 84% of registered voters say that the issue of the economy will be very

Thats how it is. Not just in Britain.Not perhaps how it should be.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Said the man who puts his trust in spivs and liars

I don’t put trust in anyone. You’re just a bad loser.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Economics is the no 1 issue in almost all general elections.
          Very few of us understand even undergraduate theoretical macroeconomics, the sort of thing on which policy is based, but we are still entrusted to vote on these matters. Even ( especially?) the economists don't agree, or fully understand every aspect of economics.
          We all have to make judgements based on imperfect understanding, or informed by opinion rather than completely objective " fact".
          And that includes MPs, who of course are making decisions with a powerful political bias, and often as influence by the whip as objective reasoning.
          The remain campaign tried to scare the nation with forecasts of economic woe and calamity. When they were working-up their strategy they said that fundamentally people vote for what they think will be best for their pocket.

I’m so pleased they did.

They were wrong.

Comment

The remain campaign tried to scare the nation with forecasts of economic woe and calamity. When they were working-up their strategy they said that fundamentally people vote for what they think will be best for their pocket.

I’m so pleased they did.

They were wrong.
            How do you know?
            We haven't Brexited yet?

Comment

That's ok because you know we shouldn't trust "elites"
              So next time I want to find out about how to conduct I'll ask the postman rather than Tony Pappano or Susanna Mälkki.:yikes:
              !!!

But the point here is that, just because the in/out shake-it-all-about question sounds very simple in and of itself, the means whereby best to answer it are anything but.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                How do you know?
                We haven't Brexited yet?
                How do I know what?

Comment

I’m so pleased they did.

They were wrong.
                  Here we go again. Both sides provided sheaves of misinformation. Can we get back to the topic, please?

Comment

How do I know what?
                    Presumably, how do you know that they were wrong?

Comment

How do I know what?
                      That they were wrong.

Comment

That they were wrong.
                        Because in the end, voters stuck with their beliefs. The remain voters did not vote for what they thought was best for their pocket (they have told us loud and long why the want to remain) and the leavers, we are told, voted because we are racist, nationalist and ignorant.

Comment

Because in the end, voters stuck with their beliefs. The remain voters did not vote for what they thought was best for their pocket (they have told us loud and long why the want to remain) and the leavers, we are told, voted because we are racist, nationalist and ignorant.
                          Oh, I thought you meant that they were wrong to forecast woe and calamity.

Comment

Oh, I thought you meant that they were wrong to forecast woe and calamity.
                            That was wrong too, but I wasn’t thinking about that. Illustrating the risks and opportunities is not the same as telling people you know what will happen in the future. I hope the Bank of England and the IMF at least, have learnt their lesson.

Comment

How do you know?
                              We haven't Brexited yet?
                              Precisely. Even though we haven't left, and remain a full member of the EU, the pound has crashed and industries and financial institutions are preparing to move out of the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                Precisely. Even though we haven't left, and remain a full member of the EU, the pound has crashed and industries and financial institutions are preparing to move out of the UK.
                                Precisely? You then go on to contradict yourself!

P.S. (How are we a full member if we are barred from key meetings?)

Comment

Working...
                                X