***** As if we hadn't got anything better to do this summer!!!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***** As if we hadn't got anything better to do this summer!!!

Guess what!?!! :yikes:

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Guess what!?!! :yikes:
    Might the reference to "summer" provide some clue? Maybe the old homily "ne'er cast a clout till May be out" is of some relevance here...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      Might the reference to "summer" provide some clue? Maybe the old homily "ne'er cast a clout till May be out" is of some relevance here...
      Underlined word is significant!

Comment

Oh, I don't know, Dave ... I've just been waiting for this chance since last June! :devil:

Comment

Chance for what? More wasted effort - more shenanigans!!!

Comment

Chance for what? More wasted effort - more shenanigans!!!
            Certainly! But it’s also a good opportunity to settle the dispute about Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Like how?

Comment

Looks like we've been moved to the basement again! I didn't even mention the 'P' word.

Sorry - this has really "made my day" - :fuming:

Comment

It's also a bit more important than random chats about Broadchurch or Line of Duty!

Comment

It's also a bit more important than random chats about Broadchurch or Line of Duty!
                    I'm afraid the "silent majority" always gets its way in here, Dave. (Grr..)

Comment

But the "p" word is surely illustrative of what is, at least purportedly, a "broad church", although where the "line of duty" might be therein remains open to question.
                      Last edited by ahinton; 19-04-17, 09:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        If only! That said, I don't think that such a dispute, whatever form it might now take almost ten months on from announcement of the opinion poll result, is likely to be "settled" by a General Election alone or indeed even at all, since what exercises many minds about that situation most these days is not so much the rights and wrongs of it but the ongoing and developing uncertainties and indecisions surrounding it, neither of which is likely to be addressed by either the holding or the outcome of a snap General Election (whatever the latter might be), not least because the General Election will be held in UK only (obviously) whereas Brexit and any dispute about it directly impacts upon and is relevant to 28 European nations.

Still, whatever the purpose (if any) of calling it might or might not be, it will likely stimulate any appetite for that second Scottish independence referendum.

Comment

In deludedly speaking of "the nation coming together" in contrast with Parliament, Theresa May of course omitted to say anything about the divisions in her own party post-Brexit, and just talked about Labour, the SNP and LibDems.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            In deludedly speaking of "the nation coming together" in contrast with Parliament, Theresa May of course omitted to say anything about the divisions in her own party post-Brexit, and just talked about Labour, the SNP and LibDems.
                            Did anyone seriously expect otherwise? I imagine that she regards this as her potential get-out-of-jail card...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              Did anyone seriously expect otherwise? I imagine that she regards this as her potential get-out-of-jail card...
                              It all strikes me as a distraction, aided and abetted by the BBC's wonderfully impartial reportage and interviewing techniques (viz that dreadful presenter with the white walrus moustache*, always on hand when these occasions warrant, in the Commons corridors yesterday lunchtime), scrupulously to avoid talking about policies.

*(John Pienaar, grrrrrrrrrrrrr!)
                              Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 20-04-17, 16:29.

Comment

Working...
                              X