Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think now that the hysteria over this issue has died down, we can see just how OTT the media coverage has been. For the last couple of weeks, one would have thought there was nothing else going on in the world. Afghanistan, Libya- remember them? But even before the tragic events in Norway, this was dropping down the news agenda. In a few month's time, I expect we'll all look back and wonder why on earth we all got so worked up about the whole affair.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
      I think now that the hysteria over this issue has died down, we can see just how OTT the media coverage has been. For the last couple of weeks, one would have thought there was nothing else going on in the world. Afghanistan, Libya- remember them? But even before the tragic events in Norway, this was dropping down the news agenda. In a few month's time, I expect we'll all look back and wonder why on earth we all got so worked up about the whole affair.
      Not even Sky News, The Times and The Sun seem to agree with you, Mr Pee :doh:

Where do you get your eccentric world-view from? :whistle:

Comment

I think that most of us far more concerned with the substance and significance of the issue rather than with any peripheral hysteria that may have accompanied it. In a few months' time, we'll still be embroiled in it, just as we will be in other issues such as but not limited to those which you mention here, not least because the fallout from it will still be continuing and will almost certainly be generated from many other places besides UK.

You appear to ascribe little importance to it. Why? Do you think that any means of obtaining information is morally and should be legally acceptable, or do you have some other reason/s?
        Last edited by ahinton; 25-07-11, 11:58.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Where do you get your eccentric world-view from? :whistle:
          If that's a "world-view", Elgar (who has less than no business to be portrayed in conjuction therewith) was a Mongolian...

Comment

In a few month's time, I expect we'll all look back and wonder why on earth we all got so worked up about the whole affair.
            That may correlate with how important you thought the Murdoch bid to take over BSkyB was in the first place. And if you thought the growing influence of News Corp was nothing to worry about, it must appear as if coverage of the phone hacking story has been OTT.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Well it is the Political Media talking about itself....and the pulling together all sorts of connections that were made....

It has been 'fascinating' [Nick Robinsons favourite word], mainly because everytime it was talked about, another link, connection, ramification was found, and a complex web of questions and answers was continually supplied....like a crossword we wanted to solve. I guess all those interested had their neural networks working hard creating shape and detail [painting schematic pictures]....At these times....like with Forestry Bill, and NHS Care Bill we get or feel plugged in to ???? something....
              bong ching

Comment

yes that feel of uncovering, seeing connections and just feeling [outrage whatever]
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  That may correlate with how important you thought the Murdoch bid to take over BSkyB was in the first place. And if you thought the growing influence of News Corp was nothing to worry about, it must appear as if coverage of the phone hacking story has been OTT.
                  It may also impinge upon the extent to which Mr Pee may believe that journalists are and should be entitled to carte blanche as to how they obtain their information without let or hindrance; it's surely worth bearing in mind here that, whilst phone hacking has been the main focus of the issue, it is the wider issue of how journalists obtain the information upon which they seek to rely that is at the root of the problem and, on that one, it's worth remembering, for example, that the medical records of Gordon and Sarah Brown's son were not obtained by phone hacking.

I wonder if Hereford Cathedral, the Elgar Society and/or other persons/organisation ought perhaps to consider takling out an injunction against innapropriate use of a photograph of the statue of Elgar with his bicycle that still stands to the north side of that Cathedral despite all the works around it that are now nearing completion, but I suppose that this is off-topic...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    it's surely worth bearing in mind here that, whilst phone hacking has been the main focus of the issue, it is the wider issue of how journalists obtain the information
                    And, on the other side, how the police and politicians relate to the press/media at various levels.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      And, on the other side, how the police and politicians relate to the press/media at various levels.
                      Well, yes, that too, of course - it was, however, for the sake of specific context that I confined my reference to the fact that other means whereby journalists obtain information might be at least as suspect - and as prevalent - as phone hacking.

As I mentioned in another place (albeit in a somewhat different context):

Q. What made you give up journalism as a career?
                      A. I found that I simply couldn't hack it.

Comment

Welll, you would say that, would you, Kelvin? (or is it Jeremy?)

Comment

Whittingdale's frustration

Another one joins the club

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...hs-evidence.do

I definitely agree with the previous poster's comments about the media loving to talk about the media though...let's hope everything is made clearer when it goes to court. Anyone seen Messrs Jarndyce and Jarndyce? :doh:

Comment

interesting analysis here
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

And here is comment on the comment....analysis of the analysis....

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourking...-murdochs-fall
                              bong ching

Comment

yep just read that and pefer the point of view in the commentary on the analysis ... interesting site innit

Comment

Working...
                                X