Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    The rot set in a long time before Blair, possibly as far back as Beaverbrook's involvement with Government. :erm:
    What a strange coincidence - an 85 year old I know was making exactly the same point yesterday.

In 1918 David Lloyd George granted Aitken the title, Lord Beaverbrook and appointed him as Minister of Information in his wartime coalition government. In the Second World War, Winston Churchill recruited Beaverbrook into his Cabinet where he served as Minister for Aircraft Production (1940-41), Minister of Supply (1941-2), Minister of War Production (1942), and Lord Privy Seal (1943-45).

During the 1st World War Beaverbrook acquired a controlling interest in the Daily Express and turned it into the most widely read newspaper in the world. Beaverbrook also founded the Sunday Express (1921) and in 1929 purchased the Evening Standard.

Clearly the 'go-to' man in times of trouble - might Sir Rupert step up to the mark in the Economic war? Or the frontline against terrorism, insurgency, and plain old-fashioned opportunistic looting.
    A bit late now perhaps, but perhaps one of his brood might like to?
    Last edited by Globaltruth; 08-08-11, 11:01.

Comment

I am trying to think of that press Lord/ baron that used to appear on all the chat shows in the 50's and 60's....gravelly voice and usually wore a spotty bow tie....[no, not Robin Day]....??
      bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        I am trying to think of that press Lord/ baron that used to appear on all the chat shows in the 50's and 60's....gravelly voice and usually wore a spotty bow tie....[no, not Robin Day]....??
        You mean Lord Boothby?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DB1Kdz28ws et al

:smiley:

Comment

Known as Lord Boozby, from what i remember...

Comment

Yep, that's him....relax now....

I note he was not a Press Baron....just a Baron....and a bit of a Monger {not fish}....
            bong ching

Comment

great utube link amateur 51. i particularly enjoyed boothby's cousins' excuses regarding dear ol boothby's habit of 'fibbing'. how very quaint!

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                great utube link amateur 51. i particularly enjoyed boothby's cousins' excuses regarding dear ol boothby's habit of 'fibbing'. how very quaint!
                I enjoyed Ludovic Kennedy's getting so amused by the story he was telling about Boothby that he cracked up but being a TV professional he repeated the story word-for-word without chortling second time around, without the camera chappie's having to stop.:laugh:

Comment

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is investigating a claim that an officer investigating Milly Dowler's murder gave information to the News of the World newspaper.

The police watchdog is investigating a claim that an officer investigating Milly Dowler's murder gave information to the News of the World.

Comment

this might be the one that nails Coulson ...more here
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                      this might be the one that nails Coulson ...more here
                      Nails Coulson praps and then on to the Murdochs. Comes to something when your own lawyers' evidence shafts you :laugh:

Comment

..oh what tangled webs etc [never could learn that by rote :cool:]
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Indeed CdJ.

read the full text here (Harbottle and Lewis response to committee)

But if you're in a hurry just read the 'call and response'
                          In Appendix B

'GOTCHA'

as The Sun might say...

Comment

The IPCC, the police watchdog, said on today that it was opening an independent inquiry into allegations that John Yates might have secured a job for the daughter of a former News of the World executive.

But the IPCC effectively cleared Yates, Sir Paul Stephenson, the former commissioner, Peter Clarke, former deputy assistant commissioner, and Andy Hayman, former assistant commissioner, of carrying out any conduct that breached police disciplinary codes over their roles in the original phone-hacking inquiry and its review by Yates in 2009.

IPCC to scrutinise claims former Met police assistant commissioner secured job for Neil Wallis's daughter. By Josh Halliday and Sandra Laville

An interesting quote from PM Cameron in relation to the phone-hacking scandal at the end of this piece, indicating that he still doesn't get it:

"Clearly if I had known then all the things I know now, then obviously I would have taken different decisions."

But Prime Minister, you were warned several times by some very senior colleagues :doh:

Lack of judgement or pig-headedness?

Either or both?

Whichever, it does not inspire confidence in his ability :sadface:

Comment

A 38-year-old man has been arrested as part of the investigation into phone hacking, Scotland Yard has said. He attended a south London police station by appointment, where he is being held on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications. It is the 13th arrest police have made.

A man has been arrested on suspicion of phone hacking, Scotland Yard says - the 13th arrest as part of Operation Weeting.

Comment

A 38-year-old man
                                :doh: James Murdoch is 38. You had me going there. :doh:

Comment

Working...
                                X