No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<<Yawn>>

Comment

Glenn Mulcaire takes legal action against News International to force firm to pay his legal bills

Private investigator takes legal action against News International to force firm to pay his legal bills. By James Robinson

And here are some Major surprises:

Andrew Sparrow: Chris Mullin's diaries reveal that former prime minister wanted Labour and Tories to unite to bring down tycoon's empire

Read the above link right to the end - there's an extraordinary revelation (even more extraordinary than the earlier ones :ok::biggrin:

Comment

:yawn::yawn:
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Glenn Mulcaire takes legal action against News International to force firm to pay his legal bills

Private investigator takes legal action against News International to force firm to pay his legal bills. By James Robinson

And here are some Major surprises:

Andrew Sparrow: Chris Mullin's diaries reveal that former prime minister wanted Labour and Tories to unite to bring down tycoon's empire

Read the above link right to the end - there's an extraordinary revelation (even more extraordinary than the earlier ones :ok::biggrin:
          That is a fascinating article, am51, and thanks for the link to it.

It's long bewildered me that the Tories and Labour haven't evolved a bipartisan policy on Murdoch - it's been blindingly clear for far too long that his only interest in politics is in what he can get out of it. Currying favour with him and his minions is in nobody's long-term interest.

The stuff about the 1990 Broadcasting Bill didn't surprise me at all, I'm afraid to say.

Fascinating that the people who post yawn icons on this thread are interested enough to keep following it.

Comment

Fascinating that the people who post yawn icons on this thread are interested enough to keep following it.
            I pop back now and again just to see whether there's anything remotely interesting or exciting going on, but there's just the usual suspects posting up links from the Guardian. :erm:

Hence the :yawn::yawn::yawn:
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Indeed Mr P.

Single-issue comments from single-track minds.

If you'll pardon the overstatement. :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                Indeed Mr P.

Single-issue comments from single-track minds.

If you'll pardon the overstatement. :laugh:
                Well, I certainly won't pardon or overlook it either from you or from Mr Pee. To begin with, I see no problem whatsoever with single-issue comments when a single issue is being discussed and, if the minds of those addressing such issues are on track and focussed, they will be single-track ones for the duration of that focus and attention.

As to Mr Pee's predictable response (why are so many of his responses predictable?), there are plenty of other topics here in which no one necessarily quotes from any journal at all and, in any case, not all journal quotes in this and similar threads have been from the Guardian. For anyone to be a "usual suspect" there has first to be someone to do the suspecting and something that the "suspect" has done that might reasonably arouse "suspicion"; the use of that term is thus at best unhelpful in the present context and certainly adds nothing useful to the discussion.

Comment

Glenn Mulcaire, the private investigator at the centre of the News of the World phone hacking, has been ordered by a court to reveal who instructed him to access the voicemails of model Elle MacPherson and five other public figures including Lib Dem deputy leader Simon Hughes

Steve Coogan leads battle to reveal whether News of the World ordered hacking of Elle MacPherson and five other public figures. By Lisa O'Carroll

Mulcaire, who was jailed in 2007 after pleading guilty to hacking the phones of members of the royal household for the News of the World, has been forced into making the disclosure following legal action by the comedian and actor Steve Coogan.

Good to see that Steve Coogan is prepared to put himself in the front line in this way. I'm full of admiration for this :ok::biggrin:

Comment

It would seem unreasonable to insist that News International pay his legal fees while refusing to provide evidence that he was asked/told to hack people's phones by his employers.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

> Good to see that Steve Coogan is prepared to put himself in the front line <

:ok: let's hope other celebs follow! coogan cut the mustard (against the odds) on a tv snippet i saw too.

Comment

yep ... Hugh Grant is having a good hackgate as well, and so is Jude Law i look forward to George Galloway getting in to court ...
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

A police officer has been arrested in relation to leaks during the Scotland Yard phone-hacking investigation.The 51-year-old detective constable was arrested at work on Thursday and bailed. He has been suspended.

The BBC understands a second man arrested on Friday as part of the Met's Operation Weeting was Dan Evans, 35, a former News of the World reporter.

A police officer is arrested over leaks during the phone-hacking investigation, Scotland Yard confirms.

The Met's Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers said the police officer's arrest was "hugely disappointing"

It's all going terribly well, isn't it :erm::whistle:
                          Last edited by Guest; 19-08-11, 19:10. Reason: sorting out me whistle

Comment

> i look forward to George Galloway getting in to court <

me too, all power to george!

i so wish jon gaunt was in a lot more trouble, for dragging up hugh grant's past ..... i can't stick hugh grant.... but next to jon gaunt, hugh's a 'likeable mature sex symbol, with genuine charisma'. (never thought i'd write that about hg - but there you go)

i've just had the yearly magazine arrive, from 'alumni - friends of the uni' i went to. plastered on the front cover is a (frankly) detestable looking chap, who apparently used to work as editor of 'the sun'. i thought this deeply hypocritical, tactless in the extreme. it (wrongly imo) assumes ex students want to hear from this person, about his career at 'the sun' under murdoch. surely not something to crow about, and especially not right now! worst of all, it pretends to be 'advice' to graduates ....(pass the sick bag emoticon).

at this rate, next year's magazine cover just might be - 'jack the ripper, did he have good taste in women'? by steve wright and peter sutcliff!

(i also note that the lingo around business, and entreprenurial risk generally, is increasingly fake, or outright cobblers ....eg 'growing' your own graduate business'.....? and 'graduate green shoots' etc. as with 'the big society' it appears to be language filched from elsewhere, reappropriated for the purpose of whatever myths the author/s fancy peddling. whereas you'd think academic institutions might be concerned about their own credibility, logically)?

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                              > i look forward to George Galloway getting in to court <

me too, all power to george!

i so wish jon gaunt was in a lot more trouble, for dragging up hugh grant's past ..... i can't stick hugh grant.... but next to jon gaunt, hugh's a 'likeable mature sex symbol, with genuine charisma'. (never thought i'd write that about hg - but there you go)

i've just had the yearly magazine arrive, from 'alumni - friends of the uni' i went to. plastered on the front cover is a (frankly) detestable looking chap, who apparently used to work as editor of 'the sun'. i thought this deeply hypocritical, tactless in the extreme. it (wrongly imo) assumes ex students want to hear from this person, about his career at 'the sun' under murdoch. surely not something to crow about, and especially not right now! worst of all, it pretends to be 'advice' to graduates ....(pass the sick bag emoticon).

at this rate, next year's magazine cover just might be - 'jack the ripper, did he have good taste in women'? by steve wright and peter sutcliff!

(i also note that the lingo around business, and entreprenurial risk generally, is increasingly fake, or outright cobblers ....eg 'growing' your own graduate business'.....? and 'graduate green shoots' etc. as with 'the big society' it appears to be language filched from elsewhere, reappropriated for the purpose of whatever myths the author/s fancy peddling. whereas you'd think academic institutions might be concerned about their own credibility, logically)?
                              :erm: Which uni did you go to, hsf? :devil:

Comment

the one with the very cheapest local accomodation, of course, serial apologist. i'm not fick, or summat. :ok:

Comment

Working...
                                X