Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    And it does seem that The Sun journalists are invoking their Human Rights with a legal challenge
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...s-corp-inquiry
    ...but have they chosen the right QC?
    http://www.geoffreyrobertson.com/9qu...forRupert.html

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      And it does seem that The Sun journalists are invoking their Human Rights with a legal challenge
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...s-corp-inquiry
      & of course the Sun has never critisised the ECHR, has it? What a bunch of hypocrites!

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        & of course the Sun has never critisised the ECHR, has it? What a bunch of hypocrites!
        Utterly butterly remarkable! :ok::biggrin:

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          Oh, I wasn't aware that it is a condition of employment that every journalist on a newspaper has to agree with that paper's editorial direction. For example, I have no idea what the sports correspondent's views on the ECHR might be, and I really don't care. Neither, I think, would the editor.
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
            Oh, I wasn't aware that it is a condition of employment that every journalist on a newspaper has to agree with that paper's editorial direction. For example, I have no idea what the sports correspondent's views on the ECHR might be, and I really don't care. Neither, I think, would the editor.
            "Sorry old man, you appear to have hooked that one into the long grass!"

Daft as a box of frogs you are, Mr Pee :biggrin:

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              "Sorry old man, you appear to have hooked that one into the long grass!"

Daft as a box of frogs you are, Mr Pee :biggrin:
              Floozie accused Sun employees en masse of being hypocrites. I pointed out that such a charge of hypocrisy would only be valid if every journalist and employee of the newspaper shared the paper's editorial line on the ECHR. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that they do not, and that therefore calling them hypocrites is unfounded.

As a result of which, you post some sort of golfing(?) analogy, the relevance of which escapes me, and accuse me of being daft.

Do please explain.

Edit:-

(On reflection, don't bother. Life really is too short.):erm:
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Floozie accused Sun employees en masse of being hypocrites. I pointed out that such a charge of hypocrisy would only be valid if every journalist and employee of the newspaper shared the paper's editorial line on the ECHR. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that they do not, and that therefore calling them hypocrites is unfounded.

As a result of which, you post some sort of golfing(?) analogy, the relevance of which escapes me, and accuse me of being daft.

Do please explain.

Edit:-

(On reflection, don't bother. Life really is too short.):erm:
                Gladly, Mr Pee. Your chum, the mythical ECHR-loving Sun journo does not have to work for them - s/he could decide that to do so is just not worth the pain and scorn. Simples.

Comment

the shareholder risk management now being implemented by NewsCorp is implacable, will not stop, and will sacrifice anything in the UK to avoid liability in the USA .... all the News Int people are finished, their only future is to demonstrate, through their arrest/redundancy etc the impeccable corporate responsibility and diligence of NewsCorp to the USA authorities
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

You were expecting logic and a rational argument, Mr P? ?????? I'd suggest that from certain quarters the standard of comment you will get is at the level that you quoted, rather than the "intelligent discussion" of the type desired by the forum's leader...

"The Sun" and Rupert Murdoch and everything he does = Bad. "The Guardian" = Good. Just keep to that very simple, narrow level and you may begin to understand how some people think.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                      You were expecting logic and a rational argument, Mr P? ?????? I'd suggest that from certain quarters the standard of comment you will get is at the level that you quoted, rather than the "intelligent discussion" of the type desired by the forum's leader...

"The Sun" and Rupert Murdoch and everything he does = Bad. "The Guardian" = Good. Just keep to that very simple, narrow level and you may begin to understand how some people think.
                      Are you suggesting that, bearing the revelations of the last 8 months or so in mind, that the Sun and Rupert Murdoch represent some sort of pinnacle of achievement in the world of journalism and broadcast media, Simon?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post

"Some" people, perhaps. By no means all. I for one have no doubt that even Rupert Murdoch may have done some good for some people in his life at some point, even though at the moment I have no idea what that may be beyond creating jobs for people. Likewise, I certainly do not believe that any newspapers, or their staff, are infallible. That said, the sheer amount of evidence already submitted to the Leveson enquiry and the extent to which all manner of wrongdoing and interference, actual and/or potential, in the private lives of all sorts of people is being uncovered in more and more places simply cannot be denied; it can be brushed under the carpets of those who decide for themselves that they'd rather remain in a state of denial for some reason or none rather than to hear it or read about it, of course, but that's hardly the same thing, but those who adopt such a stance have almost certainly never (at least knowingly) been victims of or otherwise affected by the kinds of activity that are being investigated day by day during the course of an enquiry which may continue for years rather than weeks or months, otherwise they might think differently.

Comment

There must be an awful lot of clothespegs in the Sun offices!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Gladly, Mr Pee. Your chum, the mythical ECHR-loving Sun journo does not have to work for them - s/he could decide that to do so is just not worth the pain and scorn. Simples.
                            Yes, that would be lovely. But in the real world, journalists have to earn a living just like everybody else. Any pain and scorn- if they are subject to it- would be a lot less painful than being unable to pay the mortage and ending up on the street.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Yes, that would be lovely. But in the real world, journalists have to earn a living just like everybody else. Any pain and scorn- if they are subject to it- would be a lot less painful than being unable to pay the mortage and ending up on the street.
                              You asked me to explain my position and I have, Mr Pee. From your response, we obviously have different priorities and values, which is fine.

Are you familiar with the Faust legend?

Comment

rupert's going to be discussing faust with his london ni staff this morning.

here he is getting ready for the arrival of (the remainder) of ni staff

Comment

Working...
                                X