Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    Well, if you can point me in the direction of an arts sector job that has been lost as a result of Sky's investment in the Arts, then please do. :erm:

As for your second paragraph, all companies depend on the efforts and energy of others, don't they? Whether it be the shelf-stacker at Tesco or the managing director. They also succeed because they market a product for which consumers are willing to pay- BSkyB have just posted increased profits, and nearly 700,000 new subscribers over the past year.

As for the "National Game", I assume you mean the premiership, now probably the leading football league in the world, with plenty of people willing to pay. And if they don't want to, there is no shortage of pubs that show every game- and perhaps, if they are serious supporters, then they'll be paying a heck of a lot more than £45 per month to go and watch the games for real anyway. Sky didn't steal the Premiership. just as they didn't steal F1 from the BBC. They put in a bid which the BBC chose not to match. It's called market forces.
    look matey , people like me kept football alive in the dark days when it was dangerous and unpleasant to go. people like me have spent decades pumping our hard earned time, money, and energy into the game that we love, often in the face of indifference to the problems from those at the top(at best) and outright hostility at worst(under thatcher).]
    then when a "market" (with one bidder really) emerges for live TV football, murdoch built an empire by taking on the monopoly, pushing the subscription cost, through the roof, and helping to take the game out of the reach of the ordinary people who had suppoorted the game for decades, and about whom he gives not a damn.

The game has been stolen by murdoch and the big money boys, and the money put in the pockets of him and the footballers.

And please don't talk to me about serious supporters...42 years on and counting from my first game at my home town club, through thick and thin, rain and storm on open terraces, violence and indifference, I think I know all I need to know about that. And I know when something is being stolen from me , and that is precisely what murdoch and his cronies inside the game did.

Oh and some businesses are created by the energy and efforts of the owner. Others are created on the back of exploitive practices in rigged markets.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Anyway, I get the feeling you must be at a loose end these days, given the amount of time you expend scrutinizing the Leveson pantomime, so I thought this might enable you to make more constructive use of your time:-
      Actually me loose ends are pretty much occupied at the moment, thanks Mr Pee.

I live on disability benefits and received a letter this morning to tell me that my Disability Living Allowance has gone up a modest amount/month. Not earth-shattering news, but nice to have. The next letter was from my local authority, telling me that that my Housing Benefit was being reduced by £40/month, wiping out several times the increase in income that I'd just read about. I've spent quite a bit of time this afternoon trying to get through to the Council so that they can explain it all to me, but I guess that it's so that I can hold my head up when Mr Cameron next tells the nation that "We're All In This Together" :erm:

Tom Watson was re-elected at the last election so I assume his constituents think highly enough of him. I think he's done a pretty good job under considerable stress from the activities of Murdoch's undercover spies. Do you not understand what News International has done to those people who have dared to shine a light on their scuzzy business methods, Mr Pee?

I had a job 'in the Arts' in a box office for six months in 2006 but lost it because I couldn't concentrate hard enough to do the cashing-up accurately every night I was on shift. No money was lost, it was just that someone else had to re-count it all next morning. I knew that I could do this task but the medications I take make me fuzzy when I'm tired. So thanks for your faux concern Mr Pee, but no thanks :smiley:

Comment

the company that [Rupert Murdoch] has built from nothing
        I'm sure Rupe's dad would be pleased to hear that.

Comment

Pee Sky Pee, anyone?...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            Pee Sky Pee, anyone?...
            :laugh::laugh::yawn::yawn:
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Had a brief (it was all I could stand) look at Sky News yesterday: overweight middle-aged men in double-breasted suits barking the headlines at the viewer.....a level of repetition which can only lead to madness if watched continuously for more than, say, two hours....backgrounds that grate on the eye.....all in all, something vaguely barrow-boyish about it all. We then have to factor in the useless Kay Burley and the puerile Adam Bolton.

The BBC, for all its faults, still knows instinctively how to do these things...the Digger and his cohorts don't.

Personally, I'd like to see a subject called 'Hating Rupert Murdoch' introduced at primary school level and taught right up to 16+. We'd see the benefits to our society pdq.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                Had a brief (it was all I could stand) look at Sky News yesterday: overweight middle-aged men in double-breasted suits barking the headlines at the viewer.....a level of repetition which can only lead to madness if watched continuously for more than, say, two hours....backgrounds that grate on the eye.....all in all, something vaguely barrow-boyish about it all. We then have to factor in the useless Kay Burley and the puerile Adam Bolton.

The BBC, for all its faults, still knows instinctively how to do these things...the Digger and his cohorts don't.
                It seems the Royal Television Society would disagree, Mandy. Three awards last year, including News Channel of the Year:- :laugh::laugh:

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                Personally, I'd like to see a subject called 'Hating Rupert Murdoch' introduced at primary school level and taught right up to 16+. We'd see the benefits to our society pdq.
                Why do you write such c**p? It just makes you look like a complete buffoon. http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smile...sed-140297.gif
                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Why do you write such c**p? It just makes you look like a complete buffoon. http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smile...sed-140297.gif
                  Takes one to know one, Mr Pee :winkeye:

Comment

Why do you write such c**p? It just makes you look like a complete buffoon.
                    No, Mr Pee; it just makes YOU take things literally when so you choose...

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Takes one to know one, Mr Pee :winkeye:
                      I knew that was coming. But I still had to let Mandy know.:whistle:

Mark Twain.

Comment

good piece by Oborne in Torygraf today; telling point and these nice little listies

Here are the News International crowd: Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Peter Mandelson, David Miliband, David Blunkett, John Reid, Tessa Jowell, Michael Gove, George Osborne, William Hague. David Cameron, John Whittingdale and Jeremy Hunt (as well as Mr Hunt’s brainless sidekick, Ed Vaizey) should also be added to this list.

And here are the refuseniks: Vince Cable, Tom Watson, George Galloway, Iain Duncan Smith, Owen Paterson, Dominic Grieve, Ken Clarke. This is a much shorter list. My hunch is that their integrity has paid off and we are coming to the end of the Murdoch era, which was based around a cult of celebrity, collusion, criminality and deceit.
                        i know which list gets my vote ....
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

I knew that was coming. But I still had to let Mandy know.:whistle:
                          Why? How and/or by whom were you coerced into so doing?

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                            good piece by Oborne in Torygraf today; telling point and these nice little listies

i know which list gets my vote ....
                            I don't think either list would get mine! Although I certainly would not go within a mile of any list that included George Galloway, who should know all about celebrity- Celebrity Big Brother anyone? :erm:

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              Why? How and/or by whom were you coerced into so doing?

What a very odd question, even by your unusually obtuse standards.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Celebrity Big Brother anyone?

i would vote for gorgeous George against any MP who has represented me ... ever ...
                                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X