Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    I'm keen to keep them separate because there are likely to be developments around the Murdochs in USA, Australia and in UK which are not part of Leveson's remit
    Fair comment.

Comment

Ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court on charges of conspiring to pervert the course of justice linked to the phone hacking scandal.

She, her husband Charlie Brooks and four others have been bailed for a fortnight, until 22 June.
      Ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks has appeared in court to face charges of conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

:smiley::contented sigh emoticon:

Comment

Are you also missing our cycling comrade ?

Comment

In an interesting but perhaps not that surprising a development, Rupert Murdoch has announced that News Corp is being split into two separate publishing and entertainment companiescompanies

Mogul confirms empire will be divided into separate entertainment and publishing companies. By Lisa O'Carroll

The question remains: which of the new companies would bear the financial risks of the ongoing fallout from the News of the World phone-hacking scandal, which has already cost News Corp more than £100m.

Besides legal costs, News Corp also faces a potential investigation and fines in the US under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, which punishes companies that have bribed officials abroad.

:smiley:

Comment

An interesting development today ...

Private investigator Glenn Mulcaire has lost his legal battle to conceal the identity of journalists who instructed him to hack into mobile phone messages.

Private investigator Glenn Mulcaire loses his Supreme Court battle to conceal the identity of the person who instructed him to hack into phone messages.

Mulcaire, who worked for the News of the World, was jailed in January 2007 for unlawfully intercepting voicemail messages received by royal aides. He appealed to try to avoid being forced to answer questions in civil proceedings that could incriminate him.

Five judges unanimously dismissed his appeal to the Supreme Court.

Comment

Another interesting development ...

"Rupert Murdoch has resigned from a string of directorships controlling his News Corporation's UK newspapers."
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

And yet another interesting (and most welcome) development ....

"The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) announced that the former News International staff and a private investigator will face court on a total of 19 charges.

Prosecutors said that among those charged included Coulson, who went on to become the Downing Street head of communications and Brooks, the former News International chief executive, the newspaper’s former head of news Ian Edmonson, Neville Thurlbeck, its former chief reporter, Stuart Kuttner, the managing editor and former executives Greg Miskiw and James Weatherup.

Also charged were private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, who was jailed in 2007 after admitting illegally intercepting messages of members of the Royal Household, who has since apologised to the victims of phone hacking.

Andy Coulson and Rebekah Brooks, the former News of the World editors, are among seven former staff members who have been charged in connection with the phone hacking scandal.

Alison Levitt, QC, Principal Legal Adviser to the Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer, said at the press conference

"May I remind all concerned that these eight individuals now will be charged with criminal offences and that each has a right to a fair trial."

She added: "It is very important that nothing is said, or reported, which could prejudice that trial. For these reasons it would be inappropriate for me to comment further."

Comment

if I've understood this correctly, for these charges to even have been contemplated there must presumably now be some hard evidence in the possession of the police that shows that editors not only knew hacking was going on but may even have directly commissioned it

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    if I've understood this correctly, for these charges to even have been contemplated there must presumably now be some hard evidence in the possession of the police that shows that editors not only knew hacking was going on but may even have directly commissioned it
                    On the other hand, since everyone protests his/her total innocence either a) the villains are individuals who have not as yet been identified or b) there was no wrong-doing of any kind. Anywhere. By anyone ...
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      On the other hand, since everyone protests his/her total innocence either a) the villains are individuals who have not as yet been identified or b) there was no wrong-doing of any kind. Anywhere. By anyone ...
                      well yes, I see that is the alternative scenario

I was just trying to interpret [for my own benefit] the words of the lady from the DPP (or do I mean CPS)

During June and July 2012, the Crown Prosecution Service received files of evidence from the Metropolitan Police Service, relating to 13 suspects. This has followed a period of consultation and co-operation between police and prosecutors which has taken place over many months.

All the evidence has now carefully been considered. Applying the two-stage test in the Code for Crown Prosecutors I have concluded that in relation to eight of these 13 suspects there is sufficient evidence for there to be a realistic prospect of conviction in relation to one or more offences.

[my bold]

The full statement from the Crown Prosecution Service in relation to charges for alleged hacking of phones.

Comment

Latest development: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/au...-phone-hacking

Comment

Murdoch getting a bit rattled?

News Corp chief causes outrage on Twitter with caustic dismissal of victims who lobbied David Cameron last week

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            Good to see him in his true colours, Flossie - many thanks :ok::ale:

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Good to see him in his true colours, Flossie - many thanks :ok::ale:
                              Yup - the problem (his contempt) in a nutshell... :sadface:
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

The Sun newspaper has been ordered by a high court judge to reveal what it knows about the alleged theft of a mobile phone belonging to Labour MP Siobhain McDonagh, which was reportedly handed to the paper by a member of the public.

Mr Justice Vos also on Wednesday issued a temporary injunction against the Sun preventing the tabloid publishing any material in relation to confidential information on the phone.

Tabloid also told not to publish information obtained from Siobhain McDonagh's mobile, which was reportedly handed to it. By Lisa O'Carroll

Comment

Working...
                                X