• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Orang Utangs; Smog and Palm Oil

er try very hard not to use the stuff, palm oil that is ....

the fires in Indonesia are smogging out SE Asia and killing off Orang Utans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i really really like Orang Utans very much
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

the fires in Indonesia are smogging out SE Asia and killing off Orang Utans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me, too - they make terrific Librarians, too (provided you don't call them "monkeys".)

I do try very hard to avoid it - but the problem is it's in so much stuff. Good to have this list for reference, Calum. <gratefulale[palmoilfree]emoticon>
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Ahollingsworth1961

My regular treat of a can of coke and a packet of Walker's cheese & onion crisps is orang utan friendly!!

Very interesting list.

Comment

• aeolium
        • Nov 2010

So does Terry Pratchett. I enjoyed his recent BBC film about his return to Borneo to investigate the changes in the fortunes of the orang-utans there.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ahollingsworth1961 View Post
          My regular treat of a can of coke and a packet of Walker's cheese & onion crisps is orang utan friendly!!

Very interesting list.
          Hmmmm.....well my preferred breakfast of a couple of grilled Richmond Sausages on a bed of Crunchy nut cornflakes with a light drizzle of melted Cadbury's Dairy Milk is looking a bit of a no no from now on....

and as ever, Thanks Jazzer , you are a star.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Orang utangs played a significant part in Bill Bailey's recent documentary about Alfred Russel Wallace - such gentle creatures and fatally interested in humans too. The thought of their being smoked out is very distressing.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

... and an excellent documentary that was too Ams! i thought Bailey made his case for Wallace most convincingly .... despite it being another bl%%dy travelogue
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

... and an excellent documentary that was too Ams! i thought Bailey made his case for Wallace most convincingly .... despite it being another bl%%dy travelogue
                Agreed completely, Calum - so much so that I got hold of a copy of Peter Raby's book entitled 'alfred Russel Wallace' and a good buy it was too.

The Bill Bailey doc could quite easily have been blended into one, I felt and tho the travelogue side was nice to look at, and did give some insight into the difficulties that Wallace faced physically on his explorations, there was no need for so much.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Unsustainable palm oil development fuels widespread rainforest destruction, human rights abuses, illegal wildlife smuggling, climate change and the destruction of delicate ecosystems across South-East Asia.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Another tragic aspect is that lax laws in the United States allow people to keep orangs as pets, often in awful conditions only to abandon them when they become unmanageable. I have a friend who is about to spend time as a volunteer in a rescue and conservation centre in Florida. They have animals from all over the States that need rehabilitation and can never be returned to the wild.

We hear quite a lot about the plight of animals like orangs and gibbons being sold and ill treated in Indonesia and elsewhere, but the pet trade feeds terrible suffering in so called civilised countries as well.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                      Late Member
                      • Sep 2012

For my 80th birthday, my daughter, who is a professional wildlife artist, presented me with her pastel painting of a baby orang-utan and his mother.

This painting, entitled "Clinging On" was a finalist in the BBC Wildlife Artist of the Year in 2012.

If you would like see it and her other animal pictures take a look at her website:

Original pastel pet portraits by artist Georgina Gibbons, BBC Wildlife Artist of the Year finalist. Lovingly painted from your photographs - amazing likeness.

Here is what Georgina has to say about this portrait:

Clinging On

Baby orang-utan. Pastel on “Pastelmat” Framed size approx. 49 x 61 cm (19.5 x 24") Finalist in the BBC Wildlife Artist of the Year 2012 competition

“I think this baby’s expression captures trepidation about the future - clinging on to Mum but the species is also just about clinging on to its existence in the wild.”

Reserved for an exhibition

(No, I'm not advertising. She already has more commissions than she can cope with.)/

HS

BTW If you want to know what she calls me, take a look also at "Grumpy Grandad", a Silverback Gorilla.
                      Last edited by Hornspieler; 28-06-13, 07:36. Reason: An appropriate comment to this thread

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

i have a similar midriff Hornspieler

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

check out these pics

Comment

Working...
                          X