Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    If I understood, the vote in England had to be passed by all three houses. It was voted for by the houses of bishops and clergy but not by the laity.
    Even the laity had a majority in favour, but it wasn't a large enough majority.

Synod is packed with conservative evangelicals.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      There's nothing passive-aggressive about it. There has been discussion on a thread somewhere (I'm confused now) about the lack of discussion about issues affecting women, non?
      I think the problem was that you included the word splendid in your announcement of the news, ams.

Had you made the announcement, and then, in a separate sentence, written something like I think that's splendid news. What do others think? that might have been OK.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        Er - what is deemed to be "contrary" to what "nature" here? Not Wales, surely?...
        Women in general, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
          I think the problem was that you included the word splendid in your announcement of the news, ams.

Had you made the announcement, and then, in a separate sentence, written something like I think that's splendid news. What do others think? that might have been OK.
          That's surely for the pedants' thread, n'est-ce pas? By that I do not at all suggest that you are yourself being pedantic, but that such a requirement in order to attempt to assuage certain potentially over-sensitive members is itself pedantic. Imagine it in the opposite context; it would hardly be considered "splendid" by any other than a handful of fanatics had women been barred from the office of Anglican bishop having had such an entitlement for generations!

Comment

Women in general, probably.
            Well, if so, we all know what to do with such a response, do we not? - though why it would realistically be "women in general" when only a very tiny handful of women would ever even want to become Anglican bishops in the first place escapes me, frankly...

Comment

They're talking about it on Woman's Hour at the moment.

Comment

They're talking about it on Woman's Hour at the moment.
                Splendid! :winkeye:

Comment

Splendid is a particularly enjoyable word to announce in mock Welsh....good for the Welsh Synod....
                  bong ching

Comment

ysblennydd ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      ysblennydd ?
                      You may well be right, MrGG.

'Ardderchog' is Welsh for 'excellent', 'outstanding' - and in saying it, you certainly sound it.

'Campus' is another alternative, much favoured by my Taid.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        ysblennydd ?
                        You did CSE Welsh too?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          I was thinking the same. It struck me as the type of passive-aggressive post that set things off on the wrong foot.
                          What's the problem? It is splendid for the Church of Wales, for women clergy in said church, and for women in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                            amateur, in view of the current rethink about sensitive topics, would you agree that leaving out the word 'splendid' would encourage more participation of the kind desired? I am not in the slightest trying to be provocative.
                            You might not be trying ...

It's this sort of response (the second post in the thread) that de-rails any sensible discussion. You don't give any reason why Amateur expressing his opinion that the news is 'splendid' should cause problems, or why the news is not splendid (I assume that you don't think it is, given your objection to the use of the adjective).

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              You did CSE Welsh too?
                              No
                              But online translation is available............. I did Russian

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                                You might not be trying ...

It's this sort of response (the second post in the thread) that de-rails any sensible discussion. You don't give any reason why Amateur expressing his opinion that the news is 'splendid' should cause problems, or why the news is not splendid (I assume that you don't think it is, given your objection to the use of the adjective).
                                I don't think he (?) was being serious ?

Comment

Working...
                                X