• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Flooding

Like many natural phenomena and man environment interactions flooding is more complex than appears at first sight ....

Monbiot

DEFRA Mistatements of Funding

it would seem to require rather more brainpower than the Cabinet can muster in Patterson despite his brother in law .... and taking on the EU, Corporate Agriculture and the Landed Gents who shoot grouse .... now where else have we encountered such a concatenation of privileged interest and blinkers?
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

i do not believe it!
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      That's remarkably crass even by UKIP standards.

I wonder if anyone has thought to ask the governments of Russia, India, Uganda or Nigeria (amongst others) for a comment?

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

BBC "Related Stories" - Warning as river levels still rising :smiley:

A UKIP councillor from Oxfordshire blames the recent storms and floods on the Government's decision to legalise gay marriage.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          BBC "Related Stories" - Warning as river levels still rising :smiley:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-25793358
          As I have observedd elsewhere, I'm astonished that a distinguished member of the UKIP-if-you-want-to "party" (some party!) is so overtly unaware of the fact that it was the storms and floods which were directly responsible for the passage of the same-sex marriage legislation...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Three cheers for UKIP, for once again being the defenders of free-speech and democracy.

One may not subscribe to the teachings of religious books such as the Koran, Talmud or the Bible, but we should respect other people's right to believe, and not try to ridicule or silence them.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Three cheers for UKIP, for once again being the defenders of free-speech and democracy.

One may not subscribe to the teachings of religious books such as the Koran, Talmud or the Bible, but we should respect other people's right to believe, and not try to ridicule or silence them.
              But it's ok to tell unpleasant lies about people who are different from you, on the basis of their belief in these books? Charming!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                But it's ok to tell unpleasant lies about people who are different from you, on the basis of their belief in these books? Charming!
                No, it's neither ok nor charming. Democracy presents many dilemmas like this. We must unchain our brain.

Comment

• amateur51

No, it's neither ok nor charming. Democracy presents many dilemmas like this. We must unchain our brain.
                  I sincerely hope that Mr Silvester takes your advice.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

The dilemmas that democracy gives us are for everyone to work through.

Comment

• amateur51

The dilemmas that democracy gives us are for everyone to work through.
                      Indeed. I am quite clear in my own mind that climate change has nothing to do with religion generally or with equal marriage in particular.

If Mr Silvester or anyone else has any scientific evidence to the contrary, I am prepared to consider it on its merits, of course.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Yes, OK, but they aren't the only ones - and when doing that results in a spectacular own goal as in this case, one might wonder whether they're sacrificing electoral hopes on an altar of free speech and democracy (as though virtues in their own right rather than being inherent constituent parts of a civlised society) rather than opting for the silence of expediency; that said, UKIP has, at the same time, wisely sought to persuade the public that it does not identify with this crazy idea.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

He doesn't strike me as the kind of person to take anyone's advice, actually.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Damage limitation?
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              Yes, OK, but they aren't the only ones - and when doing that results in a spectacular own goal as in this case, one might wonder whether they're sacrificing electoral hopes on an altar of free speech and democracy (as though virtues in their own right rather than being inherent constituent parts of a civlised society) rather than opting for the silence of expediency; that said, UKIP has, at the same time, wisely sought to persuade the public that it does not identify with this crazy idea.
                              UKIP appears to be putting some considerable daylight between itself & Mr Silvester, I mean his views ;D

UKIP suspends Oxfordshire councillor David Silvester, who blamed the recent flooding on the government's decision to legalise gay marriage.

Comment

Working...
                              X