• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
    It appears he may have been a cad and a bounder in his behaviour towards these ladies but that seems to have been about it
    But, in my view, the behaviour was more of a party matter than being a cad or bounder: because the 'ladies' were party members and he wielded considerable power within the party and over potential party candidates. It was, again in my view, the sexual harassment as an abuse power rather than sexual harassment alone that was the key factor.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      But, in my view, the behaviour was more of a party matter than being a cad or bounder: because the 'ladies' were party members and he wielded considerable power within the party and over potential party candidates. It was, again in my view, the sexual harassment as an abuse power rather than sexual harassment alone that was the key factor.
      Point taken although, to me, it was both. Unless and until he's taken to court for sexual harrassment by individual victims, his guilt and the extent thereof - or the lack of it - will not likely be formally established but you are quite correct in pointing out that sexual harassment as an abuse of power was and remains an issue for the party, just as it remains one for other instances when sexual harrassment is motivated thus.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        Point taken although, to me, it was both.
        That's what I said: not 'sexual harassment alone' i.e. BOTH.

Unless and until he's taken to court for sexual harrassment by individual victims
        I presume that is for them to try to do, not the party. If they consider the sexual harassment alone was serious enough to amount to a criminal offence, it should go to the police. If not, they leave it to the party who engaged a QC to carry out an inquiry and concluded there was 'not enough evidence' for disciplinary measures. In which case it remains, potentially, abuse of power (by sexual harassment). Which is where the problem of 'not enough evidence' is relevant on the principle of innocent until proved guilty.

It seems the LDs want to nab him for something; he objects, but so do the alleged victims, and both want to argue for their rights in public.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Yes, I can see that point which is wholly valid, imv.

The matter should have been dealt with internally but I suppose the Party was in an almost impossible situation here, especially as it is always terribly difficult to get to the truth of such things.

My own view is that Lord Rennard, whether 'guilty' or not, has already had his reputation tarnished, and I can't see any point in pursuing the matter especially as it is difficult to see what more Lord Rennard can do than apologise for 'any offence' which, of course, he has already done?

Comment

Working...
          X