Prom 59: Tonhalle Orchestra Zürich, Hadelich / P. Järvi, Wednesday 30 August 2023

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 59: Tonhalle Orchestra Zürich, Hadelich / P. Järvi, Wednesday 30 August 2023

Wednesday 30 August 2023
    19:30
    Royal Albert Hall

Beethoven: Overture 'The Consecration of the House' (Die Weihe des Hauses), op. 124
    Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto in D, op. 35
    [Encore: Howdy Forrester: "Wild Fiddler's Rag"]

interval

Dvořák: Symphony No. 9 in e (Z nového světa / 'From the New World'), op. 95
    [Encore: Hugo Alfvén:​ The Mountain King - Ballet-Pantomime, R.99, op.37 - "Shepherd Girl's Dance"]

Augustin Hadelich, violin
    Tonhalle Orchestra Zürich
    Paavo Järvi, conductor​

The Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich performs two Romantic classics: Tchaikovsky’s passionate Violin Concerto and Dvořák’s nostalgic ‘New World’ Symphony.

Starts
    30-08-23 19:30
    Ends
    30-08-23 21:30
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 18-09-23, 00:34. Reason: encores

I do appreciate it when foreign orchestras bring us something from their homeland. In Switzerland’s case a piece by Honegger or Martin would be very welcome. Tonight, we have a hackneyed concert. The concert will have to be splendid to displace our favourite New World Symphony from our brains. Even when fit, I would not choose to buy a seat for this Concert.
    But… what do I know? I see that all seats are already sold!

I’ve just realised that Tchaikovsky composed his Violin Concerto on Lake Geneva.

It’s his “Swiss” violin concerto.
    Last edited by edashtav; 30-08-23, 19:16.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
      I do appreciate it when foreign orchestras bring us something from their homeland. In Switzerland’s case a piece by Honegger or Martin would be very welcome. Tonight, we have a hackneyed concert. The concert will have to be splendid to displace our favourite New World Symphony from our brains. Even when fit, I would not choose to buy a seat for this Concert.
      But… what do I know? I see that all seats are already sold!

I’ve just realised that Tchaikovsky composed his Violin Concerto on Lake Geneva.

It’s his “Swiss” violin concerto.
      I think it’s part of the obligation of the Proms to do the core classics for new listeners / youngsters. Probably less important now because of recording.The Beethoven isn’t performed that much but it’s arguably the best piece (a late masterpiece really) in the concert - featuring ,if I remember the notes from my Klemperer recording aright, a double fugue.

Comment

Interestingly spacious roomy acoustic on this broadcast. Quite different from the LSO Mahler Prom, or are my ears deceiving me?

Comment

Originally posted by gedsmk View Post
          Interestingly spacious roomy acoustic on this broadcast. Quite different from the LSO Mahler Prom, or are my ears deceiving me?
          Hadn’t noticed that but I’m not listening that closely. I’m impressed by this fiddle player though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I think it’s part of the obligation of the Proms to do the core classics for new listeners / youngsters. Probably less important now because of recording.The Beethoven isn’t performed that much but it’s arguably the best piece (a late masterpiece really) in the concert - featuring ,if I remember the notes from my Klemperer recording aright, a double fugue.
            I do take your point re core classics, EA, but doubt whether, given all the expense of hiring foreign orchestras, that they are likely to add sufficient personality, flair or expertise beyond what one one might expect from one of the Beeb’s house orchestras.
            Yes, the Beethoven was a good choice and it was well played: those ‘five pillars’ at its onset sounded grand in the RAH although I felt the fugue sounded a tad rushed. The coda was very Rossinian - a point picked up by tonight’s announcer.

I’m finding the first movement of the Tchaikovsky to be dreamy, safe ‘n accurate rather than lively & sparkling. It’s like a Swiss watch : I want Russian ardour and some vodka-fuelled excess! The woodwind chording, however, was exemplary.
            The slow movement is so chaste: Tchaikovsky entertaining a group of nuns to tea by the Lake.

Comment

I agree, tonight is a watercolour, Rattle’s concert was an oil-painting with every brush-stroke visible.

Comment

Cor blimey, not very cor anglais!

Comment

One of the most thrilling perfs of Dvorak 9 I have ever heard - AND live! Terrific!

Comment

No they’re not, I thought so too with plenty of bass. Superb concert.
                    As a second horn player I’ve never had to play the stratospheric, exposed arpeggio that comes at the end of the symphony when the lip is tiring. Quite often it resulted in a Dominant Seventh instead!
                    Last edited by jonfan; 31-08-23, 08:04. Reason: Extra

Comment

The performance of Dvorak's last symphony was very good with exceedingly few bloopers and a high level of excellent unity, coordination and 'give and take'. A firm bass line was a boon. The interpretation was without idiosyncracies except for an occasional mannered holding back of a beat. However, the orchestra was thoroughly rehearsed and knew when to look up. Like some of the Boston orchestra's recent efforts, I felt that perfection had been sought and achieved, at the cost of individuality. Very much an 'international' product, understandable given the orchestra's polyglot personnel and Scandinavian conductor. There wasn't anything 'Swiss' in the evening - or its encore. I CRY SHAME, OTHERS WILL THINK DIFFERENTLY.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed the Tchaik VC - good lively performance and lovely orchestral playing - will listen to the rest of the concert on Sounds!

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Interesting comment, but how to compare the Beethoven with either of the other two? I think it is the relative popularity of the three works that inspired that comment, as the startling originalities of both the Tchaikovsky and the Dvorak have become ho hum to us due to over familiarity. I agree that the Beethoven is undervalued.

Comment

It was a good New World and I like Hadelich's playing but agree the first movement could have had more fire for my liking .

Nice to hear Consecration of the House in concert - its a remarkable work.

Comment

Working...
                            X