Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Yes, Radio 5 Live is the only national station not included. All the other network radio stations and national digitals are mentioned. Is it in a hub of its own?
    This is a major internal reorganisation of the BBC Radio division by its Director, Helen Boaden, who does not have responsibility for Radio 5 live and Radio 5 live sports extra.

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Comment

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
      This is a major internal reorganisation of the BBC Radio division by its Director, Helen Boaden, who does not have responsibility for Radio 5 live and Radio 5 live sports extra.
      A "director for radio" who has no responsiblity for two Radio stations; don'tcha just love the BBC!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Radio 5 live and sports extra (based in MediaCityUK, Salford) are the responsibility of Peter Salmon who is the Director, England and who also has direct responsibility for BBC Sport (and BBC Children's).

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          A "director for radio" who has no responsiblity for two Radio stations; don'tcha just love the BBC!
          HG does seem to have hit upon an anomaly, though according the BBC, Radio 5 live is part of "BBC Radio" http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/info/

"BBC Radio includes

Music radio on Radio 1, Radio 1Xtra, Radio 2, 6 Music and Asian Network
          Speech, drama, analysis and the arts on Radio 4
          Classical music and jazz on Radio 3
          News and sport on 5 live and 5 live sports extra
          Local programming from 40 stations in England
          6 dedicated radio services in the nations (Radio Scotland, Radio nan Gàidheal, Radio Ulster, Radio Foyle, Radio Wales, Radio Cymru)
          Comedy, drama and children's programming on Radio 4 Extra
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

At first, I was heartened by the fact that R3 isn't going to be "merged" with R2, which the recent CFM-isation threatened.

However, in view of the BBC's evident ability to organise its radio stations in two different ways at the same time, perhaps my optimisim was excessive....

Comment

This seems to be the answer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/ins.../salmon_peter/

His basic salary seems to be more than Helen Boaden's. Perhaps he gets "Salford Weighting"?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

French Frank, "BBC Radio" means the full list of radio services, although I don't understand why the World Service isn't included in your list too!

Various Directors have direct responsibility for different radio stations. Obviously, the Director, Radio has the lion's share of the UK-wide stations and so it seems a fair job title - less cumbersome than the alternative Director, Radio (Except For 5 live and sports extra, National Regions, Local and World).

Comment

Various Directors have direct responsibility for different radio stations.
                  Though, as far as I can see, only 5 Live/Sports Extra of the network/national stations come under a separate Director, under BBC North. Even local radio and the 'devolved nations' come under the Director of Radio. Peter Horrocks is Director of BBC World Service Group, including the WS itself. A much more meagrely remunerated post.

But only Boaden is on the BBC Executive Board.

Comment

65 BBC radio staff to lose jobs

Hopefully this shouldn't be too bad???

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...o-cut-65-posts

Comment

I'll redirect this to the 'Shape of things to Come' thread.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Even local radio and the 'devolved nations' come under the Director of Radio.
                        Not according to the BBC website linked to in #16.

Comment

Not according to the BBC website linked to in #16.
                          Presumably my same mistake again: BBC Radio is not necessarily the responsibility of the Director of Radio. BBC North, BBC World Service Group and BBC News Group each have their responsibilities. Makes sense, I suppose, when you're rationalising to save costs ...

Comment

Looking at Ariel's report, it seems (obvious really) that production (and management?) jobs will go. Presenters are all (?) freelance anyway, so will be engaged as and when controllers want them, from their separate budgets..

Comment

I happen to know of somebody who has recently been taken on in production at the BBc on around £15k

Helen Boaden is on £455k.

a top salary limit of, lets say, £250 k would free up resources for at least 12 new trainees on £15k.

But of course, some people are irreplaceable.
                              So they tell us.
                              Last edited by teamsaint; 12-06-14, 14:09.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                              X