Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

That was my response , since the other two of that name mean nothing to me!
    In this case, ignorance is bliss!

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

A sharp fall following a flat refusal to listen?
      RRV was the only thing on Radio 3 I listened to. Now it's gone from it's slot there's nothing left. I listen to France Musique Classique Plus now. The fascinating repertoire and performer choices never cease amaze me.

Comment

Originally posted by neiltingley View Post

RRV was the only thing on Radio 3 I listened to. Now it's gone from it's slot there's nothing left.
        I know us 'oldsters' can't handle change of any sort but I've tried to adapt to the new saturday schedule and it just doesn't work for me. My saturday's are ruined!

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post

I know us 'oldsters' can't handle change of any sort but I've tried to adapt to the new saturday schedule and it just doesn't work for me. My saturday's are ruined!
          But Sounds...The response in answer to all R3 discombobulated listeners.

Comment

I don't know how everyone does their R3 listening - whether on a portable radio or HiFi. If the latter, if you have a DAC, just connect a spare PC to the DAC via a spare USB port and run Sounds through it. Alternatively, if you just have an amp and no DAC, Arcam do a very acceptable and cheap Bluetooth DAC which can be hooked up to an RCA input on your amp. Then download the Sounds app on your smartphone and play any programme from the schedule. Quality will be 320mbps (CD quality) so more than acceptable I would have thought.

If you're happy with a portable radio, then there are several good quality wireless smart speakers which can be controlled again via bluetooth. It really isn't rocket science and even my 80 year old technophobe mother is happy listening to her favourite radio programmes, or streaming Spotify from her phone in perfectly good sound.

Comment

But Sounds...The response in answer to all R3 discombobulated listeners.
              Yes, the beauty of that is that you can still listen to it on a Saturday morning. A week late. The feedback programme made it clear that SJ has just been studying the listening figures and wants to shuffle programmes around to get more listeners for R3, listening for longer. He didn't seem to realise that the figures he quoted (7hrs per listener per week) were, from a historical perspective, rather good for R3.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                I don't know how everyone does their R3 listening - whether on a portable radio or HiFi. If the latter, if you have a DAC, just connect a spare PC to the DAC via a spare USB port and run Sounds through it. Alternatively, if you just have an amp and no DAC, Arcam do a very acceptable and cheap Bluetooth DAC which can be hooked up to an RCA input on your amp. Then download the Sounds app on your smartphone and play any programme from the schedule. Quality will be 320mbps (CD quality) so more than acceptable I would have thought.

If you're happy with a portable radio, then there are several good quality wireless smart speakers which can be controlled again via bluetooth. It really isn't rocket science and even my 80 year old technophobe mother is happy listening to her favourite radio programmes, or streaming Spotify from her phone in perfectly good sound.
                I was going to ask for a translation of this in the hope that it might help me, but then I noticed the reference to "spare PC" and "smartphone" and realised it wouldn't be that simple. Oh well, perhaps next year when the piggy bank has recovered a bit from major house expenditure! Although at the current rate of deterioration any new kit won't be seeing much action from R3, so accessing Sounds wouldn't be that important...

Comment

Saturday mornings are now unlistenable, jumping around all over the place and peppered with tedious interviews. I really miss Record Review with the excellent Andrew Macgregor and I do wonder if even one dedicated R3 listener wanted it shunted to Saturday afternoons, when no one with a life can listen to it. I BEG the new Controller to swallow his pride and move RR back to its traditional time on Saturday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Philidor View Post
                    Saturday mornings are now unlistenable, jumping around all over the place and peppered with tedious interviews. I really miss Record Review with the excellent Andrew Macgregor and I do wonder if even one dedicated R3 listener wanted it shunted to Saturday afternoons, when no one with a life can listen to it. I BEG the new Controller to swallow his pride and move RR back to its traditional time on Saturday morning.
                    To change would mean admitting to mistakes though. As it is, the combined weight of the Tom Service and Jools Holland initiatives mean that changes certainly won't be made as I imagine SamJ sees those as a really important part of his "vision" for R3.

Comment

Originally posted by Philidor View Post
                      Well I’ll be listening as it’s raining heavily this pm . Not that interested in the review as I have the JEG Vespers and don’t want another recording as I can’t recollect ever listening to that all the way through. In addition I haven’t bought a CD for two years and have never bought a download. So I guess listening to BAL a is a habit. Might listen to the recommendation on Qobuz though.

Comment

SamJ sees those as a really important part of his "vision" for R3.
                        He should be pressed to explain in detail what his vision is. I wasn't impressed by his youthful enthusiasm on Feedback which seemed to ignore any thought other than the marketing of Radio 3 to the 'largest possible' audience. A pseudo-intellectual R3 member of staff once clarified that 'possible' didn't mean 'the largest audience possible' it meant 'the maximisation of the audience likely to be attracted to what Radio 3 does'. Still no indication of what, in his view, Radio 3 "does".

There is a speciousness to suggesting, as SJ did on Feedback, that the aim of persuading listeners to stay tuned to R3 is that they should 'get more out of their licence fee'. Nothing to do with the fact that the longer they can be persuaded to listen the greater is R3's market share of listening - incidentally commercial broadcasters' gold standard?
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

He should be pressed to explain in detail what his vision is. I wasn't impressed by his youthful enthusiasm on Feedback which seemed to ignore any thought other than the marketing of Radio 3 to the 'largest possible' audience. A pseudo-intellectual R3 member of staff once clarified that 'possible' didn't mean 'the largest audience possible' it meant 'the maximisation of the audience likely to be attracted to what Radio 3 does'. Still no indication of what, in his view, Radio 3 "does".

There is a speciousness to suggesting, as SJ did on Feedback, that the aim of persuading listeners to stay tuned to R3 is that they should 'get more out of their licence fee'. Nothing to do with the fact that the longer they can be persuaded to listen the greater is R3's market share of listening - incidentally commercial broadcasters' gold standard?
                          That pretty much sums up my feelings about what was not a very challenging interview. I always think that people who use the word 'absolutely' as often as he seemed to are still trying to convince themselves of their own beliefs while trying to explain them to others.

Comment

Yes, YES!

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

That pretty much sums up my feelings about what was not a very challenging interview. I always think that people who use the word 'absolutely' as often as he seemed to are still trying to convince themselves of their own beliefs while trying to explain them to others.
                              Feedback doesn't do "challenging" any more: that's why they sacked Roger Bolton, who had trodden on a few too many elegantly-shod toes and got the boot. Andrea Catherwood is an intelligent broadcaster, who constantly gives the impression of thinking more trenchant thoughts than she's prepared to utter.

I made a cameo appearance on a recent edition, to moan about yet another heart-rending dose of "ordinary people" telling their "absolutely amazing stories" at 9:45 on a Monday morning, to add to the pile of emotive "human" gush in which Radio 4 majors these days. Needless to say, my balanced critique (praising Alexei Sayle's equivalent show and the excellent random postcode-based documentary series) was cut and pasted to make me sound like the baldest old grump, which was what I knew they'd do. Nor did Ms Catherwood press my points on the blithely sunny presenter of Hope Café, the offensive programme in question. But how do I complain to Feedback about being misrepresented on Feedback?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

Feedback doesn't do "challenging" any more: that's why they sacked Roger Bolton, who had trodden on a few too many elegantly-shod toes and got the boot. Andrea Catherwood is an intelligent broadcaster, who constantly gives the impression of thinking more trenchant thoughts than she's prepared to utter.

I made a cameo appearance on a recent edition, to moan about yet another heart-rending dose of "ordinary people" telling their "absolutely amazing stories" at 9:45 on a Monday morning, to add to the pile of emotive "human" gush in which Radio 4 majors these days. Needless to say, my balanced critique (praising Alexei Sayle's equivalent show and the excellent random postcode-based documentary series) was cut and pasted to make me sound like the baldest old grump, which was what I knew they'd do. Nor did Ms Catherwood press my points on the blithely sunny presenter of Hope Café, the offensive programme in question. But how do I complain to Feedback about being misrepresented on Feedback?
                                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
                                X