Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackson basically admitted that lots of weekday listeners no doubt listening to snippets as Classic FM without the annoying adverts do not listen at weekends . I don’t see how Saturday Essential Classics and the odd interview with TS will change that if they were not already listening to Breakfast or Sunday Morning. He was profoundly disingenuous about aping Classic FM referring to the fact that Breakfast had played snippets from Higdon and Carwithen. It is the snippetification that apes Classic FM so much so that it now appears in the LNOTP.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      He was profoundly disingenuous about aping Classic FM
      I was highly amused by that. The accusation of R3 "aping" Classic FM was made by .... Classic FM. Not sure how I'm allowed to read this 2016 article in the D. Telegraph, but I can quote one passage:

Classic FM boss tells 'patronising' Radio 3 boss to stop 'aping' his station

​"Sam Jackson, the managing editor of Classic FM, said Mr Davey’s “caricature” of the commercial station, which has 5.5 million weekly listeners, patronised casual classical fans, and called on Radio 3 to stop “aping” his network by broadcasting music from films and video games.​"

Ooh, does this mean Sound of Cinema and Game Play will be dropped?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
        The France Musique alternative to BaL, La Tribune des critiques de disques has Canteloube 'Chants d'Auvergne' this afternoon at 3.00 our time.
        Véronique Gens takes the plume, Von Stade and de los Angeles can't be split between 2nd and 3rd. Just for a laugh they played Barbara Streisand's 'Berceuse' and asked the panel to guess who - no one got it! Now you don't get fun like that on BaL.

Edit. Nearly forgot, Kiri voted off first, with the comment that they didn't want a Countess singing peasant songs.....let 'em eat cake, that's what I say.

Comment

Originally posted by Nachtigall View Post
          An example struck me forcibly yesterday when BBC News thought fit to include an item on the release of Taylor Swift's latest "album". Why on earth?
          The example that struck me forcibly the other day was the lack of any mention of the death of Sir Andrew Davis on the main news - while lots of pop musicians of lesser stature seem to get credit and even a lengthy obituary on occasion. I mean, come on, BBC - this is the guy who conducted all those Last Nights of the Proms for you!

Comment

Véronique Gens takes the plume, Von Stade and de los Angeles can't be split between 2nd and 3rd. Just for a laugh they played Barbara Streisand's 'Berceuse' and asked the panel to guess who - no one got it! Now you don't get fun like that on BaL.

Edit. Nearly forgot, Kiri voted off first, with the comment that they didn't want a Countess singing peasant songs.....let 'em eat cake, that's what I say.
            What about the old Natalia Davrath? Probably my favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I've just listened again, for the third time. Interesting, given this particular thread, that there was no mention of rescheduling Record Review or Composer of the Week (or the dropping of the lunchtime concerts). Was something edited out of the original?

I've done an analysis of each of his points. There's a touching naivety about his exulting over the listener who wrote in to say "I'm a first time listener to Radio 3. Thank you so much for rescuing Friday Night Is Music Night." Quod erat faciendum, my dear.Thank you.
              Just listened to an off-air of Feedback for the first time.
              Come back Roger Bolton was my first thought - not much in-depth questioning and an open platform for Sam Jackson's version of what he's done.
              Not convinced there was much balance in the vox pop. clips. Where was the discussion that FNIMN might be better back on R2?
              I think you're right French Frank, and, other than a listener comment, they seemed to avoid RR, COTW and the Lunchtime Concerts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I was trying to pick her out of the anonymously played six singers, as I couldn't believe they wouldn't have this 'connoisseurs' choice' recording - I sold ten of the Kiri to one of Davrath's in the shop.

The singers were: Carolyn Sampson, Anna Moffo, Von Stade, Kiri, de los Angeles and the winner - the one I picked out as my favourite - Véronique Gens, BTW her 2nd volume of SotA is worth a look (Naxos 8.570338) for a selection of some of the other regional 'Chants de France' and for Canteloube's massive Wagnerian 'Triptyque' for soprano and orch.

Oh, concerning the Davrath recording, are we any the wiser as to who is the conductor listed as Pierre de la Roche? Monteux was always considered a distinct possibility.....Roche, Mont?!

Comment

I very much agree with you, and Roger Webb -once heard, no other vocalist does justice to the Canteloube as far as I'm concerned. I keep spare copies of the CDs to loan - proselytising her excellence.

Comment

I was trying to pick her out of the anonymously played six singers, as I couldn't believe they wouldn't have this 'connoisseurs' choice' recording - I sold ten of the Kiri to one of Davrath's in the shop.

The singers were: Carolyn Sampson, Anna Moffo, Von Stade, Kiri, de los Angeles and the winner - the one I picked out as my favourite - Véronique Gens, BTW her 2nd volume of SotA is worth a look (Naxos 8.570338) for a selection of some of the other regional 'Chants de France' and for Canteloube's massive Wagnerian 'Triptyque' for soprano and orch.

Oh, concerning the Davrath recording, are we any the wiser as to who is the conductor listed as Pierre de la Roche? Monteux was always considered a distinct possibility.....Roche, Mont?!
                    There is also this excellent 3 CD set from Véronique Gens, arias from Lully to Saint-Saens available on Amazon France for under a tenner - all accompanied by Les Talents Lyriques and Christophe Rousset. A fine collection.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

There is also this excellent 3 CD set from Véronique Gens, arias from Lully to Saint-Saens available on Amazon France for under a tenner - all accompanied by Les Talents Lyriques and Christophe Rousset. A fine collection.

https://www.amazon.fr/Tragediennes-1...l%2C359&sr=1-2
                      Yes, she's a versatile singer - I didn't know about the 3 CD set.....I have her others for Alpha Classics (215), Hahn, Duparc, Chausson and (441), Chausson with orchestra. And there's an earlier Virgin Classics (545 360 2), Fauré, Debussy and Poulenc. A couple of others I haven't got too.

Comment

Damian Thompson is pretty scathing in his Spectator article, "The mutilation of Radio 3".

Ending with...
                        The latest butchering of the schedules makes matters worse because Radio 3 is cynically moving its self-confidently highbrow output – Composer of the Week as well as Record Review – to the cheap seats.
                        Meanwhile it has allocated its front row to Friday Night is Music Night, the pride of Radio 2 and the Light Programme for more than 70 years. And it doesn’t see the irony that, while bellyaching about cuts to music funding, it’s enforcing its own deadly cuts by reducing the serious presentation of classical music to the point where Radio 3 is little more than a Spotify playlist interrupted by disc-jockey burbling.

The groove is indeed off the scale. Back in 1992, Classic FM filled a gap in the market for light classics. Now that Radio 3 is irreversibly committed to the same formula, only with added finger-wagging, is there any chance that someone will launch a burble-free station doing what it used to do so brilliantly and unobtrusively?​
                        Thanks to "Vinehall International Classical Concert Series" for pointing it out.

Comment

I have never really got on with these songs - too plush for my liking even when con Stade sang them .

Just listened to Davrath sing Bailero on YT - heavens above it’s like seeing a cleaned old master painting . Order in for the CD .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

I have never really got on with these songs - too plush for my liking even when con Stade sang them .

Just listened to Davrath sing Bailero on YT - heavens above it’s like seeing a cleaned old master painting . Order in for the CD .
                            Hurrah! A convert.

Comment

I still have my vinyl from many yerars ago!

Comment

£1.45 secondhand on Amazon !

Comment

Working...
                                X