Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bug Strikes

For those who haven't yet experienced it: there is currently a bug which doesn't like accents or symbols. It just refuses to display them and cuts off your post in mid word if you dare to try and include one.

We're working on it, but the experts at vBulletin are also puzzled. For the moment either remove accents first, or do an edit (without the accents) if the bug strikes. Infuriating. Sorry.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

ff,

As you probably know, with your 'eye on the pulse', it isn't only accents or symbols such as pound signs that are giving problems. I have had posts truncate at a single quote or apostrophe, a hyphen, and in one case a full stop!

It seems mainly to occur when text is pasted into the posting box, rather than typed directly, and cutting and pasting from plain text in Notepad, rather than Word, has not made any difference in my experience, as I rather hoped it might.

I am sure you will get the matter solved, and don't worry, it's not affecting our allegiance to the magificent new board.

Comment

Ah, yes, someone else had cut and pasted, though it affected me twice when I was 'creating' directly. Thanks, and as they say over the Channel, Merci de votre comprehension (I wont risk the accent - yes I will: it's showing normally in preview):

Merci de votre compr
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

punctaution! foreign punctuation! my goodness we shall see the grammar schools return, with all their attendant evils, if we continue down this path!
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

I'm jolly glad that these boards don't allow such malign foreign influences. Allowing foreign accents on a Radio3 messageboard? It's political correctness gone mad!!
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Just a couple of thoughts that are only obliquely related to the bug:-

I know that some people prefer to compose a message using an editor such as Word, etc and then paste it. However, bear in mind that the edit facility on this board does mean it is possible to correct mistakes after posting.

As far as a spell checker is concerned - I use the Firefox browser which happens to have a spell-checker plug-in with UK English as an option. This means that it does the spell checking automatically as I type, without the need of any other software. Any words that aren't in its dictionary are underlined in red as I type. Right clicking on the word gives suggested replacements or an option to add it to the dictionary.

.... Just a couple of thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
              I'm jolly glad that these boards don't allow such malign foreign influences. Allowing foreign accents on a Radio3 messageboard? It's political correctness gone mad!!
              I knew I should have closed this thread at the beginning and left it as an announcement.

Comment

Ah good fun and jolly good company!!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                X