Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Forum - PROMS 2016

As discussion is beginning 'in earnest' , this has replaced PROMS 2015 which is currently languishing at the bottom of Classical Forum and will be archived. I've moved two current threads into the new forum.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Can I be the first to complain about clapping between movements and the dumbed-down presentation

Comment

Can I be the first to complain about the lack of symphonies by Leighton,Arnell,Lloyd,Weinberg,Myaskovsky and Simpson

Comment

I'd like to be the first to say I'm underwhelmed on first perusing the new season programme but then on closer inspection to find that there are a number of interesting concerts...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I was pleased to see that there's no Brahms this year. A controversial move by the BBC, but I can understand why they've done it.

Comment

With the forthcoming EU membership referendum in mind, should not the annual performance of Beethoven's 9th be cancelled as potentially showing bias?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              With the forthcoming EU membership referendum in mind, should not the annual performance of Beethoven's 9th be cancelled as potentially showing bias?
              That's overkill - just don't play the 4th movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                To be replaced by VW 9 ?

Comment

Can I be the first to complain about the online ticket system ?
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Mahler 1, the Rite of Spring and DSCH 10 are in again.

Comment

Just found an article from The Australian about David Pickard, which has a rather charming anecdote of how he spent one evening last summer:

"Last August, reluctant to call in favours, Pickard stood in the queue for limited reduced rate tickets to a sold-out Proms opera, Monteverdi's Orfeo, and watched from a balcony up in the gods. “I thought, ‘I’ll go and be a Prommer again,' ” he says of the popular Proms tradition of standing in the Albert Hall’s arena or gallery areas. “It was amazing, the way this small-scale piece of music pinged through to me. I was struck by the variety of that promenading crowd. There was a tourist with her sandwiches in a carrier bag next to a music student with his violin. The Proms isn’t just about the people on the stage. It’s about the people in the audience, who are part of the atmosphere."
                      Of course, many here might lose it over the words of praise in the article for Pickard's precedessor, except that the predecessor did program some good stuff.

Comment

Looks like subscription only, bsp. Of course, no one ever says what an awful job their predecessor did, and how they are going to do it much better! That said, I expect DP will have a 'brief' …
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

David Pickard on Feedback next Friday, the man just said

Comment

Working...
                          X