Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently a problem at my (personal) end. I can see Russ and Karafan's avatars in their profiles and everything is enabled to allow them to be used. However, the file Generic Avatars appears to contain nothing so there will be a period of intense scratching of head until I've worked out how to get them into the proper file.

At least, that's my analysis of the matter.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

I've no idea how this place works, but the pictures currently uploaded by Karafan and me are loaded as 'profile pictures' rather than 'avatars'. I suspect you probably need to enable avatars in the general settings.

Russ

Comment

Yes, I've put a profile picture up too, but it's of me, heaven help us, and not the one I would want to use as an avatar. Good luck with finding the right switch! There has clearly been some very hard work put into this, for which I and all the other refugees and Displaced Persons will be hugely grateful!

Comment

Well, behind the scenes 'Profile pictures' are described as 'small images (although usually larger than avatars) that users can upload to their profile pages'.

I will investigate how you upload avatars. They are certainly enabled.

Edit: Were you using the Edit Avatar option, not Edit Profile Picture? Your image must not exceed 80 x 80 pixels.Then choose the Custom avatar button and upload from your computer or wherever. See if that works.

Well, I seem to have an avatar. Only thing that was sitting on my desktop ...
        Last edited by french frank; 26-11-10, 21:45.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I've found the Edit Avatar screen, Frank, though it isn't part of the Edit Profile page -- I had to get to it through the Help FAQs.

All it says, though, is this:

"Your Current Avatar
          No Avatar Specified

Avatars are small graphics that are displayed under your username whenever you post.
          O Do not use an avatar

Note: if you have a custom avatar selecting this option will delete it."

The "O" before the "Do not use" is just my representation of a clickable button, but it isn't possible to uncheck it to allow one's avatar.

Is it possible that while avatars are allowed, you still have to do something to actually enable us to upload them?

Comment

I had exactly the same. But if you click on .... wait a minute ....

... if you click on the button below Use Custom Avatar the blue button above will disappear (I mean the blue bit and the dot will disappear). You will then need to upload your image again, if you're using the same one as your profile pic. I don't think that will delete the profile image because the blue button means you don't have a current avatar., so you can't delete it. If you have your image on your desktop, check it's the right size as specified, then Browse to find it. Double click on it to enter the correct path - and Save.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              ... if you click on the button below Use Custom Avatar
              I can't find a page with 'Use Custom Avatar'.

Russ

Comment

Nor I

Comment

Okay - to the rescue (this is me, by the way - my account for seeing what non administrators see).

More to follow.

Edit: Hmmmm. Now what's going on here?

Settings > My Settings/My Profile/Edit Avatar > You then see -

A red band: Edit Avatar

Just below, a grey band: Your current Avatar, with a radio button Do Not Use Avatar

Just below that, another grey band: Custom Avatar, with a radio button Use Custom Avatar choose this option.

Just below, two options

1 Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website:

2 Option 2 - Upload Image From Your Computer: Browse

Choose the appropriate Option, depending on where the picture is.

[Testing edit function - please ignore]
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-07-11, 09:24. Reason: Testing

Comment

Bryn seems to have cracked it too ...

Comment

Only thanks to your very clear guidance, Lars.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Only thanks to your very clear guidance, Lars.
                        Well, and look at that - a member since March 2007 and I've made my first posts! (And I've never had an avatar in my life before now!)

Edit: Oops, I'm not Lars, am I?

Comment

Of course you're not, Laurie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Of course you're not, Laurie.
                            Smart guy, huh! Yes, there was a connection

Comment

thanks!
                              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                              X