Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How very dare he!

Tantalising extract, I assume (sans subscription) fromRichard Morrison's interview with Alan Davey for The Times. He tries the old journalists' ploy of knocking FoR3: 'the ferocious lobbying group' but received little encouragement:

'The ferocious lobbying group Friends of Radio 3 missed no opportunity to hound Davey’s predecessors [sic] when its members felt the network was being dumbed down — which was practically all the time. “I had them in here the other day,” Davey says. “They gave me their views about various programmes.”

Isn’t he inclined to think, “with friends like those . . .”? “But they really care about the network,” Davey insists. “How many radio stations have listeners who care so much that they form themselves into a group?” '

Way to go, Al!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Morrison's question (and Davey's answer) in the para immediately following the one you quote, ff, nails it -
    Isn't there a tension, though, between wooing new listeners and keeping the old faithfuls happy? "Yes", Davey says, "and we have to be careful that, as we reach out to the wider circle, we don't alienate people already listening".
    It sounds as if the two of you you did an excellent job ff! A long and wide-ranging interview which I found broadly encouraging.

What was that about Roger Wright banning guitar music from Radio 3? Did I miss something? It didn't stop them playing Recuerdos de la Alhambra 53 times in 3 years?

Amusing exchange re BBC Phil/Hallé near the end, another re David Bowie vs. the lack of PMD.

Comment

Richard Morrison - thought Barbirolli's Elgar 2 staid and stolid - says all you need to know about him - completely lacking in judgment !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        It sounds as if the two of you you did an excellent job ff! A long and wide-ranging interview which I found broadly encouraging.
        I don't think we could claim credit. It's been an open door and an open mind since we first met. He's more quiet-mannered and thoughtful than his predecessor. Though I have pushed a bit on the idea that work needs to be done inside the BBC. And we did learn a bit about that.

What was that about Roger Wright banning guitar music from Radio 3? Did I miss something? It didn't stop them playing Recuerdos de la Alhambra 53 times in 3 years?
        I don't think he banned it but he famously announced, several times, that he didn't like it. I took it the remark was 'just for information' within R3 rather than an outright ban.

Amusing exchange re BBC Phil/Hallé near the end, another re David Bowie vs. the lack of PMD.
        Northern hero sticks up for Salford!
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Richard Morrison - thought Barbirolli's Elgar 2 staid and stolid - says all you need to know about him - completely lacking in judgment !!!
          The one point I did think was worth mentioning was the (wider) BBC's attempt at hijacking the Proms to promote its hit products.

”Doesn’t he get irritated about Proms hijacked by BBC TV programmes? Presumably we will now be spared a Great British Bake Off Prom, but the Strictly Prom surely took blatant BBC self-advertisement to new lows." This received a 'loyal' answer. But yes, Top Gear and Bake Off are now probably off the list of possibles.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Tantalising extract, I assume (sans subscription) fromRichard Morrison's interview with Alan Davey for The Times. He tries the old journalists' ploy of knocking FoR3: 'the ferocious lobbying group' but received little encouragement:

'The ferocious lobbying group Friends of Radio 3 missed no opportunity to hound Davey’s predecessors [sic] when its members felt the network was being dumbed down — which was practically all the time. “I had them in here the other day,” Davey says. “They gave me their views about various programmes.”

Isn’t he inclined to think, “with friends like those . . .”? “But they really care about the network,” Davey insists. “How many radio stations have listeners who care so much that they form themselves into a group?” '

Way to go, Al!
            The days of RW seem like a bad dream, even a bad joke. Many thanks for your persistence and hard work

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
              The days of RW seem like a bad dream, even a bad joke. Many thanks for your persistence and hard work

Seconded ......

Comment

Ferocity will take you a long way

Comment

And this is Ivan Hewett in The Telegraph:

He neglects to take a swipe at FoR3, and even refers to the "anti-populist" moves of the current controller (I don't recall him ever referring to the "populist" moves of the previous controller; I got the impression he rather approved of the Wright3).

More, from The Spectator.

And the Standard, by a future R3 contributor.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                    Hear hear.

Comment

I saw a similar article praising FoR3 in the audiophile magazine Hi Fi Times.

Comment

Ferocious, us bunch of pussycats?
                        But even pussycats get ferocious when provoked.
                        Alan Davey is a good boss cat.

Looks like an example of post-truth journalism from the eminent Morrison. But - Not a bad thing to be really, a potentially ferocious pussycat....
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 23-09-16, 04:51.

Comment

One thing Roger did do well was get himself into the press, and get the press on his side (somehow?). That seemed to mean the press were against us because we were critics of Roger. However, Alan Davey seems to have got the knack of getting Radio 3 into the press and getting them on his side. 'Anti-elitism' is out and 'anti-populism' is in - seemingly. But really, FoR3 can't take any credit for a change of management.

The other trick is to get all your staff on your side: Roger was … half good at that .

Comment

One thing Roger did do well was get himself into the press, and get the press on his side (somehow?). That seemed to mean the press were against us because we were critics of Roger. However, Alan Davey seems to have got the knack of getting Radio 3 into the press and getting them on his side. 'Anti-elitism' is out and 'anti-populism' is in - seemingly. But really, FoR3 can't take any credit for a change of management.

The other trick is to get all your staff on your side: Roger was … half good at that .
                            Slogans such as "anti-populism" don't really fit the reality in my view. The last thing I would call Roger Wright, and Classical music in general, is populist.

Alan Davey seems to have a very clear view of where he wants to go with Radio 3, with which I seem to be in agreement, so more strength to his elbow, say I.

Ivan Hewitt made an interesting comment about Goldberg Variations played on the inaugural day of the Third, on a harpsichord, which he felt was a brave move:

' Goldberg Variations ' played by Lucille Wallace (harpsichord)

I'm guessing this may have been a live performance. I think this is something that Radio 3 might emulate. I find this endless deliberating over past recorded performances somewhat dull (hope that's not sour grapes).

I'll get my coat!

Comment

One thing Roger did do well was get himself into the press, and get the press on his side (somehow?).
                              remember he did have a huge entertainment allowance - difficult to be even slightly critical when you have been wined and dined

Interesting that one of the best programs on R3 - evening repeat of COTW was axed today in favour of concert music that at the time of Third Program would have been very definitely Light Programme material - now plugged as R3 material in a presenter hosted (can't say 'led') show from a glass box somewhere above the Thames - maybe it could be set to float out beyond the horizon ?

Comment

Working...
                              X