Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Scores' v 'Music'

It's been suggested to me that the number of comments about scores, rather than music, have become numerous enough to warrant a separate board: so Talking About Music could have sub-forums 'Music' and 'Scores' if people felt this would be useful? Any thoughts?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Sorry if I've been partly responsible, especially hijacking the thread when perhaps a PM would have been more appropriate.
    But this might originate from suffy telling us what he's listening to and following his scores, encouraging me to do the same.

On balance, a thread where we could discuss editions and that sort of thing might be useful, I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      On balance, a thread where we could discuss editions and that sort of thing might be useful, I feel.
      I agree - but with the caveat that such a discrete Thread might encourage some of me ... err, read "us" ... to wane lyrical with tales of the joys of Exam Boards' requiring different editions of set texts with less editorial restraint than I ... THEY've shown on the other Thread(s).

Just sayin' - so's you're aware, y'know
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Incidentally, might the Thread title here be more felicitously renamed "Scores" v "Listening" (or "Listening" and/or Reading")? The myth that the Music is in conflict with the Score is not one we wish to promote, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Incidentally, might the Thread title here be more felicitously renamed "Scores" v "Listening" (or "Listening" and/or Reading")? The myth that the Music is in conflict with the Score is not one we wish to promote, is it?
          Or a broader 'Printed music scores and (performing) editions'? Not necessarily just for listening with but perhaps (e.g., the Goldbergs) for playing from or (e.g., Bruckner symphonies) for performing?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            Or a broader 'Printed music scores and (performing) editions'? Not necessarily just for listening with but perhaps (e.g., the Goldbergs) for playing from or (e.g., Bruckner symphonies) for performing?

Comment

I'll try and pick up these various points. Proms 2016 has now been archived which creates a slot on the homepage without making the list of forums impossibly long.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Listening scores ?

In the 70's, Rainer Wehinger created a visual listening score to accompany Gyorgy Ligeti's Artikulation. I scanned the pages and synchronized them with the m...

Comment

From the point of view of someone who does / can not read scores, a forum about scores will be a place of little immediate interest but when a thread about scores comes up amongst other topics in Talking About Music, it can invite me to look in. I often find the discussion interesting if only to learn what can be discussed. Still, I won't oppose a new forum if the members who like to talk about the subject prefer a separate forum.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Sorry if this is hijacking again, but it might be one of the reasons that a new thread was suggested: you mentioned that the Craft recording of Stravinsky's The Flood was indeed in conflict with the score you were following, so not always a myth!

And shall we promise to be discreet on the new discrete thread if we get it?

Comment

A bit of housekeeping on Classical Forum: Phase 1 (if I'm allowed to )

Slight change in the order of the boards based partly on no. of posts, partly no. of threads, partly FoR3 perception of overall importance to Radio 3, partly whim

Talking about Music will be top and … um … playlist programmes handily at the bottom (of the Classical Forum category - so just down one step and Hear & Now up a step). The Early Music Show main title Early Music, with description, and now specifying both TEMS and EML (just as a homepage signpost, not separated).

Then a look at CD Exchange/Reference Library (not much used - they could be sticky threads instead?)

Then there are a few things for a possible Phase 2 - where the new forum goes, the Listening Service.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        So you can hear the music in your head with the sound turned down by looking at the "score", can you? Huh!

I quite like some of this, bits remind me of the Clangers.

Comment

I'd be quite happy to have a thread discussing various editions of scores. I think this would appeal to the more trained musicians on this forum perhaps?
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            Listening scores ?
                            Well - it does with me!

Ahhh - Paul Griffith's A Concise History of Modern Music; Thames & Hudson, c.1980!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              So you can hear the music in your head with the sound turned down by looking at the "score", can you? Huh!

I quite like some of this, bits remind me of the Clangers.
                              It's a listening score
                              It's not a set of instructions for actions
                              But made to assist with the listening process and to deepen understanding

There are lots of these things in the world

Made with Eanalysis (http://logiciels.pierrecouprie.fr)

Analytical representation created with EAnalysis by Pierre Couprie (originaly realised for 'La musique électroacoustique' CD-ROM).Download EAnalysis: http://...

and there's more

Comment

Working...
                              X