Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bot attack 23 Dec

I hear from Mark that the forum was hit by a large bot attack in the early hours of this morning, system overload by 7,500 bots attempting to register at the same time. Very topically, it appears to have emanated from Russia (perhaps showing special seasonal interest in the Famous FoR3 Christmas Game?). Mark managed a fix for that attack, but says we may expect more.

Hope this caused no outage while anyone was online: if so, that was the cause.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

....thank you Mark for all your work...happy christmas

....Life Time Immunity for former Matriarchs....
    bong ching

Comment

The education that this forum gives - I now know what a ‘bot’ is other than the one I have fallen on a few times, sometimes painfully!

Comment

Looking again: there were two sequences, one of which appears to have been from Russia, the second, now I check, from the US. Quite what the significance of this is, I do not know Andrew also alerted.

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        The education that this forum gives - I now know what a ‘bot’ is other than the one I have fallen on a few times, sometimes painfully!
        RO RO RO …
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

What would be a motivation for such an attack? Is it totally random? What could anyone gain by disrupting the posts of a handful of Classical Music Listeners?

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            What would be a motivation for such an attack? Is it totally random? What could anyone gain by disrupting the posts of a handful of Classical Music Listeners?
            Just to show that they can?

Comment

Alert work by off-scene mighties. Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Looking again: there were two sequences, one of which appears to have been from Russia, the second, now I check, from the US. Quite what the significance of this is, I do not know Andrew also alerted.

RO RO RO …
                Perhaps they’re trying to be the first to answer Rath’s AA P! Trying to jump the Q!
                Last edited by cloughie; 23-12-20, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  I don't suppose whoever produced the necessary algorithm to locate this particular site was too concerned about who we were. Mark mentioned spamming, but I don't really buy that either.

I think we show up as a fairly busy site - considering how many (i.e. few) of us are active. That attracts attention. Mark first emailed me at 3.15am with news of the 'Russian' attack. Poor old Mark - if they try to register and can't, he gets bombarded with error messages Who knows? Our own usage may show up as identical to that of MI6 and they're trying to disrupt its activity

Comment

Well for3 is obviously a cover for nefarious activities, after all, seriously, who really discusses a classical music radio station...

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      Well for3 is obviously a cover for nefarious activities, after all, seriously, who really discusses a classical music radio station...
                      Less of us these days!

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Our own usage may show up as identical to that of MI6 and they're trying to disrupt its activity
                        er. no.

Comment

Working...
                        X