Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum "Outages”

A FutureQuest service failure. Hope this reconnect lasts. Their latest update said:

"We have got power partially restored and the network is currently online. We are working to restore all primary/secondary services, so the air may be a little turbulent until this is finalized. Our current focus is DNS services, where all but one has come back online."

They posted 3 hours ago:

"Our apologies for the delay with any information but we are aware of the current outage issue and it is being worked on. It appears that this was due to a local power outage.
    Also, our backup generator failed to kick on (which is also being investigated by one of our Techs on site), so at the moment the entire network is down. Techs are prepared to start bringing services up as soon as power is restored. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience."
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Thanks for the relay, Frenchie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Thanks for the relay, Frenchie.
      By the way, Mark asked to be remembered to you. He says, thinking of you:"One of the most memorable concerts I ever went to was Cardew’s Great Learning (two five hour sessions in the Union Chapel in Islington when I lived in London)."
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        By the way, Mark asked to be remembered to you. He says, thinking of you:"One of the most memorable concerts I ever went to was Cardew’s Great Learning (two five hour sessions in the Union Chapel in Islington when I lived in London)."
        In which, member Barrett was another participant. my regards to Mark, too.

Comment

Thx for info ref outage. Was certainly affected here.

Comment

Thanks for keeping us informed. I've been having problems with my internet connection/service for about 10 days now so when the forum didn't want to load I assumed at first it was due to that and was then puzzled that the other sites I had open were still functioning. Tiresome for you, but I confess I was relieved that it was a "local difficulty" and that I would be able to continue with the other things that needed doing - including those disrupted by previous full internet outages.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              I've been having problems with my internet connection/service for about 10 days now so when the forum didn't want to load I assumed at first it was due to that and was then puzzled that the other sites I had open were still functioning.
              First clue comes when I see our for3.org email accounts are all offline. Next step (if the BBC site is still up) is to check the FutureQuest Inc website to see whether it's just a server (ours) which is down. If FQ is down it's a network problem and all I can do is respond to those who already have another way of contacting me. I believe FQ have had a similar problem before when their own generator didn't kick in. Mark still seems to be of the opinion that FQ are pretty reliable.

Comment

I had been right on the point of sending a message on the Ukraine thread when this "outage" occurred. I had been working on it for nearly an hour, trying to get the wording right, and at the moment of clicking, nothing happened. "Fate" must have intervened.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I had been right on the point of sending a message on the Ukraine thread when this "outage" occurred. I had been working on it for nearly an hour, trying to get the wording right, and at the moment of clicking, nothing happened. "Fate" must have intervened.
                  Well, someone here who shall be nameless suggested that it was retribution for my anti-Putin posts on Facebook. I considered myself lucky to get away with a cyberattack on the forum.

Actually, after an hour I would have thought most of the post would have been autosaved by the software. Is that affected by loss of internet connection?

Comment

... I considered myself lucky to get away with a cyberattack on the forum.
                    considering the inability of For3 to have any influence on R3 isn't it pushing a bit to assume that the forum has any influence on Moscow!

Comment

First clue comes when I see our for3.org email accounts are all offline. Next step (if the BBC site is still up) is to check the FutureQuest Inc website to see whether it's just a server (ours) which is down. If FQ is down it's a network problem and all I can do is respond to those who already have another way of contacting me. I believe FQ have had a similar problem before when their own generator didn't kick in. Mark still seems to be of the opinion that FQ are pretty reliable.
                      Yes it does cause a bit of a problem when the back-up power doesn't kick in...
                      It reminds me of the occasion three years ago when I wandered into the Comms room at work to get the Henry that's stored there and noticed that rather a lot of red lights were flashing. When I looked a bit closer they were all distress calls saying call the engineer, some of which said the permanent power supply units weren't working, among other things. The whole site had been having IT problems for some time but no-one had thought to look in that room and the person who was supposed to make the weekly checks for such things hadn't done them for some time (no reason as it turned out, she wasn't expected to do anything other than fill in a couple of boxes to say it had been done, or note if there was something being flashed up as needing attention,silly girl) so hadn't picked up the early warning signs. As there is a history of power supply interruptions and subsequent problems getting things back up and running again, and County HQ had too few servers to do the job (possibly still does although there has been a massive upgrade to IT systems over the past two years) in the first place I suppose looking for other reasons wasn't the first thought, it was just situation normal if a bit worse than usual, and we don't have IT bods on site.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                        considering the inability of For3 to have any influence on R3 isn't it pushing a bit to assume that the forum has any influence on Moscow!

Quite right, I was taking it as the only way he could think of to get at me personally. Pure malice.

Comment

Welcome back. Another outage yesterday. As the problem originated in the devastating storms of Florida, we’re lucky to be back online at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Welcome back. Another outage yesterday. As the problem originated in the devastating storms of Florida, we’re lucky to be back online at all!
                            Indeed, FQ's HQ is in Orlando, FL, - there were pictures of the floods there on the BBC online news. I was watching the news this morning before checking the forum and hadn't expected it to be up and running yet. Mark says FQ have servers in Colorado, so it may be that they switched over - Hurricane Ian is expected to make a come-back quite soon.

[Shouldn't this be on the Stormy Weather thread??? ]

Comment

Whatever Futurequest has done to resolve the problem (for the moment?), they deserve congratulations regarding how quickly they have acted in these trying circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                              X