Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Reply with quote'

When replying to a specific post it's handy to click on the 'Reply with quote' button; the discussion is thus made clear - especially useful if you are responding to a post that is no longer the latest in the thread.

If the post being responded to is very long, it is possible to reduce the quoted material, still leaving the opening sentences.

For example:

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    9.30 Building a Library
    Natasha Loges chooses her favourite recording of Beethoven's Violin Sonata No 9 in A major, Op 47, 'Kreutzer'.

Beethoven's Violin Sonata in A major, Op 47, more commonly known simply as the Kreutzer Sonata, is one of the most technically challenging pieces in the violin repertoire. Leo Tolstoy immortalised the work in his 1889 notorious and daring novella, The Kreutzer Sonata, which was promptly censored by the Russian authorities and, a year later, prohibited in newspapers in the USA.....
    It's important to include the [QUOTE=...at the beginning, and the [/QUOTE] at the end to preserve the identity of the poster.

This can also be done when the original contains a photograph or other large item.

The reader can access the full post by clicking on the small blue double arrow at the end of the original, which will take you straight to it.
    Last edited by kernelbogey; 04-03-23, 09:00.

Is it possible to reduce the size of the image in any reply?
    I replied to a message about the new Stravinsky Violin concerto release recently and wanted to preserve the image so the message made sense, but it was huge!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      I replied to a message about the new Stravinsky Violin concerto release recently and wanted to preserve the image so the message made sense, but it was huge!
      Sorry Pulcers, that's beyond my techie knowledge! I hope another host will respond.

Comment

Can't be done by the forum software, I don't think. You can do it by copying the image to your desktop and reducing the size by any means that you may have on your computer. Not sure about imgur &c: can you save images there and reduce them? Otherwise, as with quoting VERY VERY VERY VERY LOOOOONG posts, it's kinder to edit out everything not immediately relevant to your comment. If, as the kernel suggested, if the Quote/Unquote codes are used correctly, it's easy for anyone who wants to read the whole quote to click on the link and go back to the original. (And it helps if the original image is already a smaller size).

Otherwise, huge images it must be!

And yes to kernel b's request, it's helpful to "Reply with Quote" if answering an earlier post.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Can't be done by the forum software, I don't think. You can do it by copying the image to your desktop and reducing the size by any means that you may have on your computer. Not sure about imgur &c: can you save images there and reduce them? Otherwise, as with quoting VERY VERY VERY VERY LOOOOONG posts, it's kinder to edit out everything not immediately relevant to your comment. If, as the kernel suggested, if the Quote/Unquote codes are used correctly, it's easy for anyone who wants to read the whole quote to click on the link and go back to the original. (And it helps if the original image is already a smaller size).

Otherwise, huge images it must be!

And yes to kernel b's request, it's helpful to "Reply with Quote" if answering an earlier post.
          Another option is to search for a smaller version of the image online and edit the link to lead to that, instead, if you can find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Another option is to search for a smaller version of the image online and edit the link to lead to that, instead, if you can find one.
            Or, if the image comes from an online source, the originator could have linked to the source rather than posting the image itself, for identification purposes (if it's just a CD/LP sleeve).
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Or, if the image comes from an online source, the originator could have linked to the source rather than posting the image itself, for identification purposes (if it's just a CD/LP sleeve).
              Which is, I think, the very case here.

Comment

That's certainly what I tend to do.
                I've never even posted an image on here; I'd need some hand-holding guidance, I fear.
                Hopeless with software I'm familiar enough with let alone anything new.
                Had to change my iCloud password (at Apple's suggestion) this week, when activity on a previous Mac I thought I'd cleaned had apparently been detected, and the knock-on effects were more than I needed! New app-specific passwords required for apps (on my Android phone) which had conked out. Had me stumped for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  When replying to a specific post it's handy to click on the 'Reply with quote' button; the discussion is thus made clear - especially useful if you are responding to a post that is no longer the latest in the thread.

If the post being responded to is very long, it is possible to reduce the quoted material, still leaving the opening sentences.

For example:

It's important to include the at the end to preserve the identity of the poster.

This can also be done when the original contains a photograph or other large item.

The reader can access the full post by clicking on the small blue double arrow at the end of the original, which will take you straight to it.
                  Thanks - I know it’s possible to do it but your post doesn’t explain exactly how to do it .

Comment

That's certainly what I tend to do.
                    I've never even posted an image on here; I'd need some hand-holding guidance, I fear.
                    Hopeless with software I'm familiar enough with let alone anything new.
                    Had to change my iCloud password (at Apple's suggestion) this week, when activity on a previous Mac I thought I'd cleaned had apparently been detected, and the knock-on effects were more than I needed! New app-specific passwords required for apps (on my Android phone) which had conked out. Had me stumped for quite a while.
                    If you look at the image in the post you were intending to quote, the image is in the form of a link to an image on Amazon. It's large but does not use up much Forum data since it is a link to an image stored elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Which is, I think, the very case here.
                      Yes, I just meant one would click on the 'Link' icon rather than 'Insert Image' icon. For those who can't tell one from the other, just hover your cursor over the icons in the line of 'em just above the reply window.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                        Thanks - I know it’s possible to do it but your post doesn’t explain exactly how to do it .
                        What exactly is the 'it' you'd like better explained? I'll give it a go, but probably tomorrow....

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          What exactly is the 'it' you'd like better explained? I'll give it a go, but probably tomorrow....
                          Yes please - how exactly do you select the quote. How do you select multiple quite and insert your response in between them ?
                          Thanks

Comment

Yes please - how exactly do you select the quote. How do you select multiple quite and insert your response in between them ?
                            Thanks
                            At the risk of preempting a kind host or administrator:

Instead of hitting
                            Reply to Thread
                            at the top of the page, look underneath the message and you will see
                            and
                            A similar icon to the Reply With Quote one, with a Plus sign: this one lets you add other messages, but you have to be careful which order you do things in and which one you want at the top.

These quotes will then appear in the pane you're working in and you can edit to your heart's content.
                            Remember though to untick the 'extra' messages ticks, or they'll appear in the next reply you do too!

I've no idea how to incorporate a quote from a different thread though, apart from with some judicious cutting and pasting.

Comment

Thanks
                              Basically, you type"[QUOTE]" (without the quote marks) then paste or type the text you want to quote, Then close the quote with "/QUOTE" (with square open and close brackets substituted for the quote marks, i.e. like the opening "[QUOTE[" but with a solidus inserted before the "Q"). Then you do the same with any further text you want to quote. However, if you want to identify the source, as in author, you need to include the identifier starting with an = sign, as in "[QUOTE=Ein Heldenleben;911083]" re the quote above. I hope that helps. It is well worth checking your work by using the "Go Advanced" button to display a preview of your intended post and edit as necessary. Otherwise, you have around 10 minutes in which to edit without it being labelled as an edited post. If you look at the way a quote is constructed when you hit the "Reply with quote" button, all should be clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X