• Show
Clear All

I am glad it finishes today!!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
      Almost 70% consider the Mozart "Festival" a bad or terrible idea! This can't be the reaction that R3 expected.
      Considering the forum, I'm sure they're infinitely more shocked it wasn't 100% and that 27% actually liked it.

I must admit to having mulled over the reason for this prohibition. However, given the late surge for those in favour of the Mozartfest, I think it a wise move to prevent Roger's Band of Merry Men from descending en masse to hijack the results as they did with the Telegraph poll, after an edict from on high!
      Seriously? Did you miss the part of the thread where Vinteuil admitted to singlehandedly sinking the vote count from 50-something percent in favour to somewhere in the low 30s? Here, let me quote that for you before the inevitable edit:

• 17-12-10 12:47 #100
        vinteuil
        Join DateNov 2010Posts113 Originally Posted by subcontrabass
        Now shifting back to a "No" majority.

that was me, he he he....
      What do you want to bet the end result can be chalked up to all the fake votes being cancelled out? It's hardly sporting to blame Wright when self-proclaimed poll-spoilers are on your own side, isn't it.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-01-11, 22:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudaimonia View Post
        Seriously? Did you miss the part of the thread where Vinteuil admitted to singlehandedly sinking the vote count from 50-something percent in favour to somewhere in the low 30s? Here, let me quote that for you before the inevitable edit:
        From 50-something percent in favour to somewhere in the low 30s? Even what you quote only shows that from about 50% it shifted to a 'No' majority. That only need take one vote, surely? E.g. 50-50 to 51-50 (no of votes, of course, not percentages!).
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I fear Eudaimonia sometimes takes me too seriously...

I am not the sort of person who would sabotage a poll.

My comment was, oh dear, a joke <sigh>

Comment

Perhaps we should be topical in our analysis of the figures and form a coalition of the "excellents" and the "terribles".
            (Well it's no more absurd that havng Michael Gove and Vince Cable in the cabinet together.)

Comment

From 50-something percent in favour to somewhere in the low 30s? Even what you quote only shows that from about 50% it shifted to a 'No' majority. That only need take one vote, surely? E.g. 50-50 to 51-50 (no of votes, of course, not percentages!).
              Perhaps it was bad timing for V, because somebody was definitely voting en masse: I remember very, very distinctly it went from the 50s to the 30s in a remarkably short period of time. I suppose there's no complaining about it since I don't have any screencaps, but my general point about the fake votes being stripped out stands.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                I fear Eudaimonia sometimes takes me too seriously...

I am not the sort of person who would sabotage a poll.

My comment was, oh dear, a joke <sigh>
                I never thought you seemed like that sort of person either, but to crack a joke about rigging a poll immediately after it drops from the 50s to the 30s in your favor isn't exactly what one might call judicious (especially in a forum which has a real problem with seeming biased). Oh well, my apologies.

Comment

Hello all. With working long hours (everything's mad at the moment <cough> <splutter> ), I have dipped in and out - there have been some lovely surprises, but a lot has sounded the same, and seemed to be going on for ever. As said in an earlier post, a lot should be consigned to room 101.
                  The pointless trailers have irritated, and the phone-ins grated. But there has been some excellent commentary.

Such a shame that there is no longer a message board on the R3 web site. I recall that the Bach MB became a useful resource for future reference.
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Branding is no fact of life, and doesn't have to be accepted as such.

Are we we really to reduce WAM to the level of the likes of a 'Goblin Teasmade' ... Think on, dear Reader!

V Sorry, FrenchFrank, to hear you acknowledge such an 'apparent' truth. By that trajecory I should have not said so much as WAM, but rather ...

WHAM!

aka Wolfgang 'Hot' Amadeus Mozart
                    Last edited by Stillhomewardbound; 13-01-11, 01:04.

Comment

Radio 3 total-Mozert blitz

I hope (but do not expect) Radio 3 to publish the results of a randomised opinion poll on the Mozert campaign. Their problem is that if they listen only to their vocal enthusiasts they will lose those who value Radio 4 for its eclectic mix of genres. Most of those who I have heard on their Mozert phone-ins are amateur musicians who may handle Mozert's rather simple styles more easily than other more demanding composers. We will end up with a Radio 3 consisting of a cross between radio 5 live and Classic FM if they listen too much to their vocal listeners. They need to make sure they listen to a representative sample of listeners.

Comment

"Randomised opinion poll"? Surely you don't mean this one, do you?

We will end up with a Radio 3 consisting of a cross between radio 5 live and Classic FM if they listen too much to their vocal listeners.
                        What set of listeners could possibly be more vocal than the Friends of Radio 3? I don't think you need to worry about anyone listening to vocal listeners overmuch about anything, least of all programming policy.

Comment

There is a short piece in The Guardian by Michael Berkeley. People might be interested in the comments posted so far.
                          Michael Berkeley: The BBC's Mozart tribute ends today, after 12 days of broadcasting every note he wrote. How much have you listened to? And what has it done for your appreciation of the composer?

Comment

Originally posted by peteredelsten View Post
                            I hope (but do not expect) Radio 3 to publish the results of a randomised opinion poll on the Mozert campaign. Their problem is that if they listen only to their vocal enthusiasts they will lose those who value Radio 4 for its eclectic mix of genres. Most of those who I have heard on their Mozert phone-ins are amateur musicians who may handle Mozert's rather simple styles more easily than other more demanding composers. We will end up with a Radio 3 consisting of a cross between radio 5 live and Classic FM if they listen too much to their vocal listeners. They need to make sure they listen to a representative sample of listeners.
                            Mozert?? Who he???
                            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Eudaimonia View Post
                              I never thought you seemed like that sort of person either, but to crack a joke about rigging a poll immediately after it drops from the 50s to the 30s in your favor isn't exactly what one might call judicious (especially in a forum which has a real problem with seeming biased). Oh well, my apologies.
                              I guess there is truth in the old adage that Americans don't "do" irony, after all.

Comment

Someone was manipulating the poll to make Radio 3 look bad, and I don't find it particularly amusing.

Do you really think it could legitimately drop from the 50s to the 30s in a matter of minutes? Bovine excrement! You might say "Oh, lighten up--it's just a silly Guardian poll", but I guarantee if it had finished in the 80s/20s you'd all be triumphantly cackling your heads off and quoting it to the media at every available opportunity. But since it ended more or less even, you're all "oh, Roger did it". Har har.

And whoever did do it? I hope you got carpal tunnel from your clicking finger.

Comment

Working...
                                X