This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast your vote

Having just received an email from a listener asking how he will survive when the The Genius of Mozart comes to an end, it seems to me the moment to get a broad snapshot of opinions on two main points: how do you view the 'Total Immersion' aspect? and, while appreciating and applauding the hard work needed to put such a mammoth project together, was it, broadly, a good thing or not?

You can add comments to the thread to expand on these points, but, please, keep them thoughtful and constructive.

Rules:

Only those who were registered members when the poll opened may participate.

The poll will close at 4pm on Tuesday 18 January.
    Excellent idea, on the whole well carried out
    0%
    Good idea, broadly well done but with some flaws
    0%
    I was indifferent, have no opinion
    0%
    Bad idea, but with some good programmes
    0%
    Terrible idea, can't wait for it to end
    0%
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

As one who has listened to the complete works of Mozart before - to check the 180 CDs in Philips Complete Mozart Edition, and the LP Philips Mozart Edition (comprehensive but not complete), it isn't something to be recommended. The similarity of style for 12 endless days is extremely wearing on the ear.
    Its one benefit may have been to attract publicity to Radio 3 at a time of year when there is less going on. For me personally, I shall no longer take for granted the variety that Radio 3 offers for most of the time.

Comment

You have missed out the option that I would choose: Good idea in principle, but very badly executed.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
        You have missed out the option that I would choose: Good idea in principle, but very badly executed.
        You might have to go for No 2, then - I withdrew the word 'serious' because I didn't think it would fit in (I can't alter it now). You can add to the thread with your views on what was badly done: I think the comments will be more useful than the bare statistics.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I love the music of Mozart but I have listened to R3 less often than usual over the last week. Others will have experienced the opposite.
          For me, this kind of programming is a fundamentally flawed concept. It's rather like being served the same dish at every meal for 12 days.
          However, it will have suited some. There used to be a man who ate Christmas dinner every day of the year!
          (Cliche alert!) Variety is the spice of life!

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            what was badly done:
            I see two major flaws:

(1) Absence of advance published schedules of what was to be in each programme with timings of when each work would be broadcast. This would encourage me to listen to some programmes or make a note to go back to them on "Listen Again". I am not prepared to listen for three hours to a programme for which the publicity highlights the presenter rather than the content.

(2) It was a sadly missed opportunity to do something different. It would have been good, for example, to have had a series of programmes looking at his keyboard music both in relation to changes in instrument technology and to the work of other composers around him. This might also have included discussion of aspects of performance practice, such as the use of ornamentation in repeats (something missing from the broadcasts of the pianos sonatas that I have heard). I would have like to have a couple of short programmes for his organ music. This has been scattered around in tiny drops - so far I have only discovered broadcasts of five of his twelve "Church Sonatas" (with totally inadequate description of their purpose).

I am sure that there are plenty of other examples of things that could have been done to make the whole thing a lot better.

Comment

I agree 100% on (1). There seems something quite dotty about proclaiming that it's 'every note he wrote' but then not indicating for the benefit of the daily radio listener when things would be played. It would, I suppose, mean a huge amount of work to plan that out in advance with running orders available a few days before broadcasts, but that might rather be thought an argument in favour of a less ambitious project. Similarly with your (2), where a smaller Mozart season could produce more focused programming. But if it's the publicity that counts ...

Comment

That's where "Composer of the Month" would be useful...

Comment

Also strongly agree with (1) in #6. I had been recommended various pieces to listen to but in the absence of any detailed listings I was certainly not going to sit through hours of it. Surely it would not be difficult to put a complete schedule on the R3 homepage the day before broadcast? I admit I haven't really checked but have there been detailed (timed listings) the day after broadcast to facilitate finding things on iplayer?

Comment

I can't believe I am saying this, but... I am sick of Mozart! Given up on Radio 3 now and exploring my CDs. And this might be a permanent situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      I admit I haven't really checked but have there been detailed (timed listings) the day after broadcast to facilitate finding things on iplayer?
                      Yes for some programmes, but not for others (Afternoon on 3, for example, has an advance list of works without timings - that does not get updated with timings; Classical Collection has an incomplete playlist and no timings (in contrast with the normal version of this programme, which has detailed timings published in advance); Breakfast and Play Mozart for Me do have detailed timings published next day).

Comment

Originally posted by meles View Post
                        I can't believe I am saying this, but... I am sick of Mozart! Given up on Radio 3 now and exploring my CDs. And this might be a permanent situation.
                        Well, it certainly polarises opinion. Welcome to the forum. As you may have noticed in the opening message, your vote can't be counted as you have registered since the poll opened (basically to prevent the opposing camps trying to swing the result). But your comments can be registered, including specific criticisms that you might have of the output (other than 'Too much' which I think we can take as read!).

Comment

It's not much help having a detailed listing for a programme such as "Herr Mozart Presents ... ",after the event, if it is not made available on the iPlayer, as is currently the case re. that programme which was broadcast on Sunday evening fomr 6.00 pm to 7.10 pm:

Cliff Eisen revisits a concert Mozart gave in Vienna's Burgtheater in March 1783.

Who knows, perhaps some BBC lurker will pick up on one of the messages re. this omission and get it resolved.

Comment

As regards schedules and timings, I have just looked at Classic FM website which has detailed, timed, playlists for the past 7 days together with a search option. So, it's not an impossible task to provide this is it? Something for R3 to learn from in preparation for the next Marathon I think. Edit: I am unsure if all CM programmes are available on demand.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-01-11, 16:20.

Comment

Hi !

I voted. I must tell you, I do often find Wolfgang to inspire me with his jubilant music, but my ears ache. It gets to an unbearable hum with the same composer. I thoroughly enjoy diversity in composers chosen for air time on BBC 3, but these last days I listen less than more.

siggy

nb. french frank most minor and perhaps an irritation but can we please have a few assorted flowers and just a wee bit more expressiveness ( on the "Smile List" ). Say trade out the four Christmas icons. . . . . . ?
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-01-11, 17:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X