Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's in a name?

I've noticed that there's a user on the Gramophone Forum who has the same handle that I use here (striking coincidence?!). I'm a bit uncomfortable about that. If (s)he posted anything unpleasant over there, I wouldn't want anyone familiar with both sites to assume it was me. I had a quick look at changing my handle here, but could only find instructions for changing my e-mail address and password. Any advice please? Thanks.
    "Not too heavy on the banjos." E. Morecambe

Originally posted by Bob_Crotchet View Post
    I've noticed that there's a user on the Gramophone Forum who has the same handle that I use here (striking coincidence?!). I'm a bit uncomfortable about that. If (s)he posted anything unpleasant over there, I wouldn't want anyone familiar with both sites to assume it was me. I had a quick look at changing my handle here, but could only find instructions for changing my e-mail address and password. Any advice please? Thanks.
    Forum names can be changed by FF.

Comment

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
      Forum names can be changed by FF.
      Indeed they can Just PM me with the name you'd prefer to use. All previous posts will change to the new name.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Quite apart from the discussion of the origins of the internet storm which Mary Beard has endured, there are some interesting reflections on internet anonymity here.

Comment

I saw the clip of Mary Beard's comments on the BBC news site. It's true she complained, but she was against any form of legislation

It's true that a private forum like this could insist on 'real names' but it can't be sure that it gets them. And as for 'stopping it overnight' - it wouldn't: several people I know would vouch for the fact that people are insulting and libellous in what they say, even under their own names - or when their identities are known. It's the curse of the internet in general - power without responsibility.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Did I read somewhere that they reckoned that there were many millions of fake IDs on Facebook?

Comment

Did I read somewhere that they reckoned that there were many millions of fake IDs on Facebook?
              Given that Facebook's business is data mining then I would think that using your "real" ID would be most foolish and would result in you being stalked by all sorts of legitimate and illegitimate businesses for the rest of your life !

This is worth a read (again ! sorry )

Comment

Anonymity is not the problem, it's the abuse of it. Things can be discussed anonymously that otherwise people might be reluctant to discuss. That's anonymity's very purpose. Business managers often encourage anonymous feedback from the shop-floor as they tend to get more honest answers, even if they then proceed to ignore them.

I once had a similar problem to the OP on a football forum. Not the exact same screen-same but easily mistaken.

The forum closed so that was the end of that, but if it happened again I'd definitely have a name-change as it's bad enough getting grief from others about one's disgraceful posts never mind even worse ones emanating from elsewhere.

Comment

Oddly, I read this thread just because of the OP's ingenious name.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    Oddly, I read this thread just because of the OP's ingenious name.
                    Yes, but even a pre-April Fool joke will never stop some of us from giving excellent advice and even pontificating ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                      ....and even pontificating ... ?
                      Oooh...we get a LOT of that around here

Comment

Oooh...we get a LOT of that around here

... and we're not short of specious counter-pontificating, either. (Mea culpa; mea maxima culpa ... )
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                        X