Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request (local polite)

Could all politically motivated avatars and signatures relating - however obliquely - and on both sides, to today's event, please be removed/replaced by the end of today.

Personal anecdote: in my taxi going Paddington Station, early this morning, the driver said he would be lining [sic] the route later, and had put on his blue shirt and would wear a black tie to "give her a good send-off" but, he added philosophically, "she was a bit like marmite". We agreed that she was actually very like marmite ...

I am dithering as to what to do about topics, such as arts subsidies, which are legitimate offshoots of the topical debates. I feel they should continue but would prefer discussion to relate to the present (as sadly it can) rather than history. I don't want the expression of entrenched views to poison the boards for weeks to come.

Perhaps political/philosophical issues could be carried out in future on the Ideas & Theory forum, rather than Platform 3 (or any other) and be discussed in a spirit appropriate to that topic ...?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

ff, welcome back; everything in good shape, I trust.

May I just comment on your personal anecdote? I like anecdotes.

I want to nominate the driver of your taxi this morning for an award. I don't really know what he thought about 'her', but he was still going to do what he thought was right for the occasion. A fair-minded man, who managed to contain his feelings. I wish I were more like him.

Please remove, ff
    I seem to have broken in here.
    Sorry
    Padraig
    Last edited by Padraig; 18-04-13, 20:27. Reason: oops

Comment

Working...
    X