Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all

Just wanted to say hello as i am new here. And new to Radio 3!
    I wanted to ask a quick question if i may. I have been listening to Through The Night quite a bit. One thing i'm a little confused about is that when a track that has been played is listed in the playlist there is no information regarding where the recording was sourced from apart from a "Label". For example an episode i listened to a few nights ago played a track Johann Caspar Ferdinand Fischer Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland - Mass for 4 voices & basso continuo
    Singer: Barbara Schlick. Singer: Hans Peter Blochwitz. Singer: Max van Egmond. Choir: Jugendkantorei Dormagen. Ensemble: Das Kleine Konzert. Director: Hermann Max.

The label is listed as:
    • DEWDR.
    ​From a cursory look about the internet i was able to find out this piece appeared on a 3LP set from Germany released in 1985.
    But what is this DEWR label that is listed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Apart from that i am really enjoying Through The Night and the Breakfast programs from here in the United States.

Hello Lavish Absence. Welcome to the chaos of our new software upgrade earlier this month which we're all still battling with.

The Through The Night (aka TTN) tracks are all recordings supplied by European radio broadcasters from their live broadcasts. The first two letters seem to be the country, the remaining ones are the name of the broadcaster. DEWDR would be Deutschland Westdeutscher Rundfunk and GBBBC Great Britain BBC. I think. There are no commercial recordings.

Anyway, enjoy Radio 3 and, if you can fathom its workings, the forum
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
      Bryn commented
      Editing a comment
      "There are no commercial recordings"

Though some of the recordings have also been released as commercial recordings. The recent wind arrangement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony is a case in point. The recording it was coupled with on CD (Wellingtons Sieg) has also appeared many times on TtN.

• AuntDaisy
      AuntDaisy commented
      Editing a comment
      You're right Bryn, but in FF's defence, Notturno's webpage does say "No commercial CDs are used, and the rights for the offers are cleared in advance."

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Hello Lavish Absence. Welcome to the chaos of our new software upgrade earlier this month which we're all still battling with.

The Through The Night (aka TTN) tracks are all recordings supplied by European radio broadcasters from their live broadcasts. The first two letters seem to be the country, the remaining ones are the name of the broadcaster. DEWDR would be Deutschland Westdeutscher Rundfunk and GBBBC Great Britain BBC. I think. There are no commercial recordings.

Anyway, enjoy Radio 3 and, if you can fathom its workings, the forum
    Ahh. Ok that makes sense. Thanks so much for clarifying and for your prompt reply! Much appreciated.

Comment

French Frank is spot on, as always.

The Fischer was also broadcast in 2008 with John Shea presenting and in 2015 with Catriona Young (there have been others).

Back then, Norwegian radio were also broadcasting Through the Night (or Notturno as it was/is called)​ and they often had extra information...

Johann Caspar Ferdinand Fischer: Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland – Mass for 4 voices & basso continuo - Hans Peter Blochwitz Barbara Schlick (soprano) (tenor), Max von Egmond (bass), Jugendkantorei Dormagen, Das Kleine Konzert, Hermann Max (director)
      (recorded 1984 at the Herne Early Music Festival)
      Is this the LP you found?

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        AuntDaisy commented
        Editing a comment
        The Discogs page has scans of the booklet
        and the LPs are available, secondhand, from Amazon Germany

• AuntDaisy
        AuntDaisy commented
        Editing a comment
        And the 8/12/2009 TTN listing even has the extra information.
        00:17AM
        Fischer, Johann Caspar Ferdinand (c.1665-1746)
        Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland – Mass for 4 voices & basso continuo
        Barbara Schlick (soprano), Hans Peter Blochwitz (tenor), Max von Egmond (bass), Jugendkantorei Dormagen, Das Kleine Konzert, Hermann Max (director) [recorded 1984 at the Herne Early Music Festival]
        DEWDR

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      "There are no commercial recordings"

Though some of the recordings have also been released as commercial recordings. The recent wind arrangement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony is a case in point. The recording it was coupled with on CD (Wellingtons Sieg) has also appeared many times on TtN.
      Yes, I thought I'd been a bit dogmatic on that point. I should have said all the tracks were originally live broadcasts (or, I suppose, 'as live' - specially recorded for broadcast). Some may indeed be subsequently issued as commercial recordings.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Hi, Lavish, welcome to the board. Hope you'll stay and post.

TTN is by far my favourite programme on any radio or Tv channel: just interesting music presented in a friendly and informative way. Not difficutl to do, but oh, how rare these days!

As well as European radio stations, I hear a lot of Commonwealth (chiefly Canada and Australia) radio recordings, such as our old friends Mario Bernardi and the CBC Vancouver orchestra, and the Elmer Iseler singers. And to endorse Bryn's remark, I'm sure the Naxos CDs of Alexander Moyzes' symphonies originated as Slovak Radio recordings. It was hearing them in TTN that introduced me to his very satisfying music.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          French Frank is spot on, as always.

The Fischer was also broadcast in 2008 with John Shea presenting and in 2015 with Catriona Young (there have been others).

Back then, Norwegian radio were also broadcasting Through the Night (or Notturno as it was/is called)​ and they often had extra information...

Is this the LP you found?
          https://www.discogs.com/release/4617...arfen-Violinen
          Yes that's the one.Which was why i was a little confused. Now that i know they are playing live performances it makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            Hi, Lavish, welcome to the board. Hope you'll stay and post.

TTN is by far my favourite programme on any radio or Tv channel: just interesting music presented in a friendly and informative way. Not difficutl to do, but oh, how rare these days!

As well as European radio stations, I hear a lot of Commonwealth (chiefly Canada and Australia) radio recordings, such as our old friends Mario Bernardi and the CBC Vancouver orchestra, and the Elmer Iseler singers. And to endorse Bryn's remark, I'm sure the Naxos CDs of Alexander Moyzes' symphonies originated as Slovak Radio recordings. It was hearing them in TTN that introduced me to his very satisfying music.
            BBC Radio 3 was suggested to me by members from another forum when i asked about what internet radio stations would be good for late night/early morning listening. As i am an expat Aussie living in the USA now i was mostly focusing on US stations. I'm glad i took the time to check out Through The Night though. What a joy it has been! It's now taken over as my number one choice for listening here.Just a really great selection. And while i understand from what i have read on other forums that some changes have not been welcomed by long term listeners for a number of reasons. I can say that coming to the program fresh with no expectations other than to hear some diverse classical programming i have been more than satisfied with what i have heard so far.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Yes, I thought I'd been a bit dogmatic on that point. I should have said all the tracks were originally live broadcasts (or, I suppose, 'as live' - specially recorded for broadcast). Some may indeed be subsequently issued as commercial recordings.
              Thanks for the clarification. Is there a reason why the sources of the live or "as live" broadcasts are not listed? For example a recent performance of La Morangis, ou La Plissay - chaconne (Jean-Baptiste Forqueray) by Theodoro Bau i discovered was from a 2012 Polish Radio Broadcast but it took a bit of detective work to figure that out!

Comment

Originally posted by Lavish Absence View Post
                Thanks for the clarification. Is there a reason why the sources of the live or "as live" broadcasts are not listed? For example a recent performance of La Morangis, ou La Plissay - chaconne (Jean-Baptiste Forqueray) by Theodoro Bau i discovered was from a 2012 Polish Radio Broadcast but it took a bit of detective work to figure that out!
                The Radio 3 TTN listings used to be a lot more detailed, often including dates, venues and movement information, e.g. see these 14/2/2008 and 29/9/2008 TTN listings.

I'm guessing the Forqueray is from this 28 Jun 2023​ broadcast.

That and other Forqueray pieces were broadcast 12/9/2013, the TTN had the title "Les Ambassadeurs at the Mazovia Goes Baroque Festival in Poland in 2012." (NB: I think the "Music Played" listings are sometimes messed up for TTN webpages around that era.)

So I'm guessing that your piece also came from the "Mazovia Goes Baroque Festival in Poland in 2012" - is that what you found?

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  AuntDaisy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Norwegian Notturno webpages gave this extra information:
                  La Ferrand, La Regente & La Marella (La Ferrand & La Regente From Suite No. 3 In D Major For Viola Da Gamba and Continuo; La Marella From Suite No. 4 In G Minor For Viola Da Gamba and Continuo)
                  Forqueray, Antoine (1672-1745)

La Morangis, Ou La Plissay - Chaconne (From 'Pieces De Viole, Paris, 1747')
                  Forqueray, Jean-Baptiste (1699-1782)

La Rameau & Jupiter (From Suite No. 5 In C Minor For Viola Da Gamba and Continuo )
                  Forqueray, Antoine (1672-1745)

Teodoro Baù (Viola Da Gamba), Deniel Perer (Harpsichord)
                  Last edited by AuntDaisy; 27-07-23, 17:03.

• AuntDaisy
                  AuntDaisy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Possibly the concert was on 11/5/2012 from Warsaw, info from this webpage with Live Stream???
                  11th May
                  Concert will begin at 17:00 hours GMT
                  French baroque music from Warsaw: Marais, Forqueray, Campra, Couperin, Leclair and Rameau
                  Concerts from the Festival Mazovia goes baroque.
                  FIRST CONCERT. Teodoro Baù, viola da gamba, and Deniel Perer, harpsichord, perform:
                  MARAIS: Marche Tartare/ La Tartarine.
                  A. FORQUERAY: La Ferrand/ La Regente/ La Marella/ La Rameau/ Jupiter.
                  J.B.A. FORQUERAY: Chaconne la Morangis ou la Plissay / Dans nos feux prenons pour modèle les volages zephyr.

• eighthobstruction
                  eighthobstruction commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How incredibly helpful AuntDaisy ....[thumbs up]

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                The Radio 3 TTN listings used to be a lot more detailed, often including dates, venues and movement information, e.g. see these 14/2/2008 and 29/9/2008 TTN listings.

I'm guessing the Forqueray is from this 28 Jun 2023​ broadcast.

That and other Forqueray pieces were broadcast 12/9/2013, the TTN had the title "Les Ambassadeurs at the Mazovia Goes Baroque Festival in Poland in 2012." (NB: I think the "Music Played" listings are sometimes messed up for TTN webpages around that era.)

So I'm guessing that your piece also came from the "Mazovia Goes Baroque Festival in Poland in 2012" - is that what you found?
                Yes that's the page i found too. Thanks so much for your help with all this. I wonder why they stopped giving such detail. In any case they are playing great music and i guess in the end that's all that really matters! Thank you SO much again. For the warm welcome and for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X