Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Coventry

Hello all, I would just like to introduce myself, and perhaps tell you about my listening habits. I’m a third-year PhD student in Psychology at the University of Warwick (Coventry). I really only developed a taste for classical music at the beginning of the first lockdown, having never really heard much of it before, and perhaps also feeling that I wasn’t the right demographic.

I was flicking through radio stations, and heard a piece I rather enjoyed, and so I stuck with Radio Three for a while. And the rest, as they say, is history. I especially enjoy solo piano (Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt) I know perhaps not everybody loves them, but for me Paul Lewis’s recordings are magical! I have an ever expanding taste in orchestral music, and seemingly also in chamber and the solo violin. I should say also, as is perhaps obvious, I have no formal musical training.

I have Radio Three on for most of the day, with the exception of Radio Four for “Today” and “PM.” I’ve been lurking for a while, and it seems that I am similar to many of you, in not having a particular affinity for Ms Alker. I do love the afternoon and evening concerts, and even the morning “Essential Classics” I hope the latter isn’t too contentious an opinion!

You might be glad to know, that having been exposed to a variety of pieces through the programs on the station, and starting to develop an ear, and preferences for recordings and types of music et cetera. Our wonderful campus also has a great arts centre, and I've been to see a few operators streamed from the Met in New York, as well as, some live performances from the RPO, the Halle (I know this isn't spelt correctly, I can't get the accent), and some chamber ensembles. So I don't know if I'm part of the typical audience, glad that the station was there to open the world of classical music to me, if it has done this, it's doing something right, even if I see some of you might believe it is "dumbing down." To a certain extent, I suppose I might even share this opinion.

In any case, I look forward to getting to know you, chatting about music and this great station of ours. I'm at the beginning of my musical journey, I suppose, and I look forward to discussions and learning from you.

PS, I have a physical disability, and I apologise for any typos, here and in the future. You can blame them on my voice recognition system!

Welcome, TarandeepKang.

Comment

Hello TarandeepKang. Welcome to the forum. None of us are typical so you should fit in very well!

I see you have done your homework while lurking and probably have a good idea of the varying points of view on most things. Do feel free to ask any questions: there's sure to be an answer from someone Who Knows
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Welcome! Look forward to chatting to you about music.

Comment

Welcome from me too.
          You have such a lot to explore and discover, and I hope that you enjoy doing so.

Comment

Welcome, TarandeepKang. I feel somewhat envious of you with so much waiting to be discovered.

My daughter is currently a student of psychology also, although just coming to the end of her second undergraduate year. She is currently not so keen on classical music though.

Comment

Welcome, TarandeepKang! What a lovely OP! My older brother was a postgrad student at Warwick back in the late sixties, although in hard science. Best wishes for your musical journey!
              kb

Comment

Welcome TarandeepKang. I hope you enjoy becoming an active member of this community. I look forward to seeing more of your posts as you continue to listen, and also to hear about concerts and pieces you have heard and liked.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  Welcome, TarandeepKang.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, there are loads of friendly and knowledgeable people here so if you have any questions, I'm sure someone will be able to help.
                    Best regards,
                    Jonathan

Comment

Hi, welcome to the forum. I found your post interesting to read and think about.

If you had been a regular Radio3 listener fifty years ago, as some of us were, I think you might understand why we think Radio 3 has dumbed down in recent years.

Coincidentally, just after I posted this I came across a good example. I was just relaxing after a coffee in the kitchen and I thought I'd put on Radio 3 for a few minutes. It was halfway through the first movement of the B fat Handel organ concerto, the one with recorders, which is sometimes done with solo harp instead of organ. I was anticipating the lovely middle movement but no, apparently we haven't the attention span for that, so it was more chat chat. Is it any wonder so any of us give up and put on a CD?
                      Last edited by smittims; 27-06-23, 09:19.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                        Hi, welcome to the forum. I found your post interesting to read and think about.

If you had been a regular Radio3 listener fifty years ago, as some of us were, I think you might understand why we think Radio 3 has dumbed down in recent years.

Coincidentally, just after I posted this I came across a good example. I was just relaxing after a coffee in the kitchen and I thought I'd put on Radio 3 for a few minutes. It was halfway through the first movement of the B fat Handel organ concerto, the one with recorders, which is sometimes done with solo harp instead of organ. I was anticipating the lovely middle movement but no, apparently we haven't the attention span for that, so it was more chat chat. Is it any wonder so any of us give up and put on a CD?
                        Thank goodness for BBC Sounds and the online schedule, which combine offer a way to avoid such bleeding chunk examples, if only after the event. I very rarely listen to Radio 3 in real-time, these days. That said, there is still much more time given over to complete works, throughout the day and night, than there was during the Third Programme years when the forerunner of Radio 3 had very much more restricted hours of broadcasting. Which is better, the cricket commentary of the Third Programme or the sampler-CD-clone programmes of Radio 3 today?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Which is better, the cricket commentary of the Third Programme or the sampler-CD-clone programmes of Radio 3 today?
                          I think comparing Radio 3 with the Third Programme from that point of view is a false analogy. One really needs to compare it with R3 at its peak and how it is now. And that isn't conceding that everything about the Third was less good than now.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Hello TarandeepKang. Welcome to the forum. None of us are typical so you should fit in very well!

I see you have done your homework while lurking and probably have a good idea of the varying points of view on most things. Do feel free to ask any questions: there's sure to be an answer from someone Who Knows
                              yes, there are some that gravitate more towards Early Music, others Modern Music, along with the lovers of Baroque/Classical.Romantic Periods, and the overlap is considerable

Comment

Working...
                              X