No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barber olli

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    He resigned before Christmas. I assume he had an 'issue' but I'm not sure I discovered what it was.
    Oh dear…. It must have been over the classical vs. pop issue on the Classical Music Associations thread. I am very sorry about that.

Comment

Congrats, FF

Comment

Congrats, FF

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
        Re: Barber olli

Oh dear…. It must have been over the classical vs. pop issue on the Classical Music Associations thread. I am very sorry about that.
        I found that irritating, but for me certainly not a reason not to enjoy myself, and if that's the reason for Barber Olly's departure from these boards, that would be very sad indeed.

Comment

You mean Radio 3 has at least 1000 listeners?

I'm impressed!

(Loving the new smilies by the way! Those 3 drinking beer reminds me where I should be!!!!)

3VS

Comment

Those 3 drinking beer reminds me where I should be!!!!)
            steady lad, steady!
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... I am delighted to welcome a new member!

But why do we think "a thousand" is significant? Why are we so curiously in hock to a decimal system that we choose to give 'significance' to the figure of 'a thousand'? - I am sure our 999th member was - and our 1001st member will be - just as 'significant' - and just as welcome ! .

Good old vindepaysd'hock !! Vin, did your pulse never quicken as a lad, as the mileometer in the family Silver Ghost ticked up through the 900s... to clock over in a joyous burst of zeros to the clear blue sky of a new '1,000' or '10,000' ? Mine did (except it was a Morris Minor)

Perhaps your youthful eyes were glued to your illustrated volume of Montesquieu instead

Welcome to Pearce in any event!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Vin, did your pulse never quicken as a lad, as the mileometer in the family Silver Ghost ticked up through the 900s... to clock over in a joyous burst of zeros to the clear blue sky of a new '1,000' or '10,000' ?
                Perhaps your youthful eyes were glued to your illustrated volume of Montesquieu instead

... much more likely to have been Montesquiou rather than that old bore Montesquieu...

I recognize and recall your reference to the mileometer, and certainly behaved in just such a way: but subsequently had a wise maths tutor (who also taught me the pianner... ) who enlightened me as to the arbitrariness of our chosen decimal system ( he strongly advocated the merits (divisability etc) of a duodecimal system... ) and ever since have somewhat abreacted to the inane delight many have in celebrating tens of things...

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Welcome to Pearce in any event!
                  Hear! Hear! (Waves paper) Pearce in our time!

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... much more likely to have been Montesquiou rather than that old bore Montesquieu...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_de_Montesquiou
                    Mais oui, mais oui, quel lapsus de ma part, mon cher (*taps ash from cigarette*)

Comment

It is not chance that rules the world. Ask the Romans, who had a continuous sequence of successes when they were guided by a certain plan, and an uninterrupted sequence of reverses when they followed another. There are general causes, moral and physical, which act in every monarchy, elevating it, maintaining it, or hurling it to the ground. All accidents are controlled by these causes. And if the chance of one battle — that is, a particular cause — has brought a state to ruin, some general cause made it necessary for that state to perish from a single battle. In a word, the main trend draws with it all particular accidents

...yep including the 1000th member [ten and decimal are not arbitrary, look at your hands, though gloved, still ten digits do sit there to count upon ...]
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                        It is not chance that rules the world. Ask the Romans, who had a continuous sequence of successes when they were guided by a certain plan, and an uninterrupted sequence of reverses when they followed another. There are general causes, moral and physical, which act in every monarchy, elevating it, maintaining it, or hurling it to the ground. All accidents are controlled by these causes. And if the chance of one battle — that is, a particular cause — has brought a state to ruin, some general cause made it necessary for that state to perish from a single battle. In a word, the main trend draws with it all particular accidents

yours is a good Montesquieu quote. He was of course French: no wonder therefore that also -
                        He goes so far as to assert that certain climates are superior to others, the temperate climate of France being ideal. His view is that people living in very warm countries are "too hot-tempered," while those in northern countries are "icy" or "stiff."

Comment

well m ....quiou looks as if he would agree with that typology

Comment

That picture is somehow how I imagine vints .......

Comment

Pearce, welcome to the boards - not seen many postings - hope you're not overawed by the fanfares!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                That picture is somehow how I imagine vints .......
                                It's DEFINITELY how I imagine him!!

Comment

Working...
                                X