Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough!

That’s it. Enough. Yesterday morning it was Monty Python, the Lone Ranger, Ave Maria and the Sorcerer’s Apprentice. This morning it was Dance Macabre and Send in the Clowns.

I am off to France Musique. Just look at the quality of music they have there: http://sites.radiofrance.fr/francemusique/prog/ant/ . Friday might was a live transmission from the opening night at La Scala.

Dear Santa,
    I have been a good boy, and have put up with this childish banality from Radio 3 every morning all year. Please may I have an internet radio for the kitchen for Christmas so that I can listen to France Musique over breakfast?
    rogill

Well, welcome to the forum, rogill, even if it is Ave Atque Vale ... (I thought you might have been referring to the unusual amount of bickering here this evening.) We have a thread already, entitled 'The Eternal Breakfast Debate in a New Place'.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

The morning programme of France Musique seems to be mainly "popular" music and jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        The morning programme of France Musique seems to be mainly "popular" music and jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by rogill View Post
          That’s it. Enough. Yesterday morning it was Monty Python, the Lone Ranger, Ave Maria and the Sorcerer’s Apprentice. This morning it was Dance Macabre and Send in the Clowns.

I am off to France Musique. Just look at the quality of music they have there: http://sites.radiofrance.fr/francemusique/prog/ant/ . Friday might was a live transmission from the opening night at La Scala.

Dear Santa,
          I have been a good boy, and have put up with this childish banality from Radio 3 every morning all year. Please may I have an internet radio for the kitchen for Christmas so that I can listen to France Musique over breakfast?
          rogill
          Bienvenu!

Ironically, I'm in France and use my Internet radio to listen to Radio 3 and 4. You'll find many members avoid certain hours on R3 like la peste. You could always try listening to 'Through The Night' or 'The Lunchtime Concert' for breakfast.

In any case, if its an Internet radio you're after, you can't go wrong with the Pure One Flow.

Comment

Originally posted by rogill View Post

Dear Santa,
            rogill
            Well, here we are, August 2014 and things are worse than ever on Radio 3. Thank you for pointing me in the direction of France Musique, I am giving it a trial!

Comment

Originally posted by Bendigedig View Post
              Well, here we are, August 2014 and things are worse than ever on Radio 3. Thank you for pointing me in the direction of France Musique, I am giving it a trial!
              Hello, Bendigedig, and welcome.

While you're at it, give KUSC Classical a go. It seems to be getting better and better.

Their night show (midnight on) is our breakfast (8am on) and here's a typical playlist:

You can listen via the website: http://www.classicalkusc.org/stream/...utmk=232529180

or using various players: http://www.kusc.org/listenonline/index.aspx

and in particular, as it says a little way down on that page, it's one of the pre-set classical radio stations on iTunes, which means for me that I can listen via an Apple Airport Express on the big HiFi here
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Good morning from another newcomer. Is there any way please to get an English translation of the France Musique website? It looks well worth a listen.

Thank you

Comment

Hello, StatMallard - and welcome. Caliban is one of several France Musique listeners - we'll see what he says.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by StatMallard View Post
                    Good morning from another newcomer. Is there any way please to get an English translation of the France Musique website? It looks well worth a listen.

Thank you
                    I'm not aware that our French cousins have deigned to provide an English translation.

Provided you remember that their 'programmes' means 'schedules' (and their 'emissions' means 'programmes'), you should be able to navigate their playlists to see what's on... http://www.francemusique.fr/programmes .... then click on the red titles in the day's list of shows to link through to the...

Programmation musicale

♫ Johannes Brahms
                    Klavierstucke opus 118 N°1
                    Anna Federova
                    Discannecy DAY01

♫ Johannes Brahms
                    Klavierstucke opus 118 N° 3
                    Anna Federova
                    Discannecy DAY01

♫ Johannes Brahms
                    Klavierstucke opus 118 N°4
                    Anna Federova
                    Discannecy DAY01

♫ Johannes Brahms
                    Klavierstucke opus 118 N° 5
                    Anna Federova
                    Discannecy DAY01

for example.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Thanks for the help folks. I'll give it a go and see how I get on. Looking forward to joining the regular posters.

Comment

Go here - (1) https://translate.google.co.uk/#auto...r%2Fprogrammes

Then select the page (2) you want to look at - for example - http://www.francemusique.fr/programmes and copy its URL - e.g. use the clip board.

Paste the URL into the box on the page (1).

Then click on the Translate button.

A page which looks like the France Musique page, but in English, should appear.

On the page which results, you should be able to switch between the original, and the translated version.

Comment

Bonjour StatMallard, and enjoy France Musique. It has many unexpected delights: this http://www.francemusique.fr/emission...-23-2014-17-00 heard in the car just now, was "not my sort of thing", but definitely my era, and it was stimulating. Available to hear again, and there's a podcast. Christphe Bourseiller is a little long-winded, and always sounds as though he's haranguing a political meeting (I expect to hear "donc" at the end of every phrase), but that's his style.
                          (I hope Caliban was listening).
                          Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 23-11-14, 18:42. Reason: afterthoughts, as usual

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                            (I hope Caliban was listening).
                            Caliban is always listening:

'The isle is full of noises ... sometimes a thousand twangling instruments'*

* See thread 'CotW - Big Band Jazz'.

Comment

DP, I know little about Jazz, Big Band or otherwise, and some of those noises give no delight and hurt. I confess that when John Lee Hooker's "I gotta go to Vietnam" started I thought there was something wrong with the tuning of the band.
                              That will probably bring down ire upon my head.

Comment

Working...
                              X