Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can Guests do [and not do?}

The above ff if I may. Can they read threads but not post or are there other restrictions? Sorry to ask when you must work 24/7 bws salymap

A search of the FAQs for references to "guest", suggests they are quite able to post here, and read and send at least some PMs.

Comment

It depends how the board is set up. The term 'guest' can refer to anyone, member or not, who is not logged in. If you log out, you can see for yourself what you can and can't do. I don't think a guest can enter anyone's profile page so they can't read visitor messages. I also don't think they can see the Member List and shouldn't be able to send PMs (they will get a message saying they are not authorised to do so). They can read and search the forums - that's all. In order to log in they must first register.

Titles as they appear on this board are slightly different. Anyone who has posted a message and whose account has subsequently been deleted will appear as 'Guest' beneath their name. There are three or four Guests of this kind where they have requested that their accounts be deleted, or they had duplicate accounts and one has been deleted.

Most people are Full Members but there are one or two whose accounts have been downgraded to 'Member'. This is usually where they have successfully registered and posted, but then changed their email address and our verification email has then bounced. I think it's set so that they can log in but not post (a valid email address will restore their full membership). This member group also allows for people to be put in pre-moderation (but no one has been!).
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Please note, Saly, that even Cellini has not been put into pre-moderation!!!

Not like the BBC board where I was often it it - but usually because I left several times and re-joined and had my posts modded for some days. What with the 3 minute wait and moderation, the BBC torturers were good with the old thumbscrews.

I suppose we don't know how lucky we are now!!

Comment

Thanks a lot ff.

Comment

Working...
          X