No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replying to messages

how does one reply to a message ?

You can either click on the "Post Reply" button (to the left, above the message to be replied to) or the "Quote" button to the bottom right of that post, depending on how you wish to compose your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      You can either click on the "Post Reply" button (to the left, above the message to be replied to) or the "Quote" button to the bottom right of that post, depending on how you wish to compose your reply.
      Or just go straight to the text entry box containing "Write something..."

Comment

I tried to respond to a message and there is no reply or quote button showing up on my ipad

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I tried to respond to a message and there is no reply or quote button showing up on my ipad
          For Personal Messages?

Looking at the web page (Firefox Browser) on my desktop, I had the same problem looking just at my "Inbox" where all recent messages are shown. I found the reply button by clicking (only once) on the subject line (the heading - description as it were) of the message immediately under the sender's forum name .

What do you see, doing that on an iPad?

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

For Personal Messages?

Looking at the web page (Firefox Browser) on my desktop, I had the same problem looking just at my "Inbox" where all recent messages are shown. I found the reply button by clicking (only once) on the subject line (the heading - description as it were) of the message immediately under the sender's forum name .

Yes, I recently cottoned on to that.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

For Personal Messages?

Absolutely nothing.
              I should have some goof off time at work this afternoon where I have access to a Windows Desktop and will see what that offers.
              Nick,if you are reading this, I received your PM but am currently unable to respond to it, but thank you for sending the YT clip

Comment

When a block of posts comes up including the one to be replied to, unless one is replying to a post containing a quotation one wants to incorporate into one's reply, how does one know which post one is replying to? Is it the one at the bottom of the current page, or the top, or bottom, of the entire thread? Does one have to delete the quote from one's reply? Or is it just a matter of aligning the post in question alongside the Post Reply button, top left corner? All my replies so far have incorporated respondees in quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  When a block of posts comes up including the one to be replied to, unless one is replying to a post containing a quotation one wants to incorporate into one's reply, how does one know which post one is replying to? Is it the one at the bottom of the current page, or the top, or bottom, of the entire thread? Does one have to delete the quote from one's reply? Or is it just a matter of aligning the post in question alongside the Post Reply button, top left corner? All my replies so far have incorporated respondees in quotes.
                  If you're referring to PMs, apparently they are now arranged in 'conversations'. So your block of posts is probably a conversation. I suppose the assumption is that you're replying to the latest post in the conversation. I'm not very au fait with PMs as yet, I'm afraid, and I can't see how you include a quote in the same way as you do for forum posts.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

If you're referring to PMs, apparently they are now arranged in 'conversations'. So your block of posts is probably a conversation. I suppose the assumption is that you're replying to the latest post in the conversation. I'm not very au fait with PMs as yet, I'm afraid, and I can't see how you include a quote in the same way as you do for forum posts.
                    If you're replying to a post (as I am now to yours) you click on "" Quote at the bottom of their post. It's which post in the block before me on the screen I am responding to by clicking Post Reply in the top LH corner that I am concerned about, because I don't know which. Until this is sorted out I think what I shall do when responding is to click on "" Quote as already mentioned, write my response beneath the quote, and then delete the quote - just leaving my response - and send. Seems the simplest solution.

Comment

If you're replying to a post (as I am now to yours) you click on "" Quote at the bottom of their post. It's which post in the block before me on the screen I am responding to by clicking Post Reply in the top LH corner that I am concerned about, because I don't know which. Until this is sorted out I think what I shall do when responding is to click on "" Quote as already mentioned, write my response beneath the quote, and then delete the quote - just leaving my response - and send. Seems the simplest solution.
                      Something is escaping me here. If you delete the quote doesn't it end up looking just the same as if you clicked on Post Reply instead of "Quote?

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Something is escaping me here. If you delete the quote doesn't it end up looking just the same as if you clicked on Post Reply instead of "Quote?
                        I don't know! What I am saying is that if I am clicking the TLH Post Reply button to message back, I have no way of knowing which message I am responding to. So the alternative solution I am suggesting is that I go to the message I am wanting to respond to, click there on the "" Quote button on the bottom RHS - which produces the window I am to use with the messager's quote at the top, write my response below, and then delete the messager's quote before sending. That way I will at least know I have responded to the post I wanted to respond to, without having to include their previous message as a quote in my response.

Comment

But doesn't your response still appear some way down the thread (related to the time it was posted), rather than identifiably in relation to the post to which you are responding?

Comment

I don't know! What I am saying is...........
                            In the previous set up, one could quote post # 91 (or whatever) in the text of the reply, which provided the clarity you seek. That's not possible now as posts are not numbered, so to avoid confusion I don't see any other way than including the quote in the response. Maybe truncate the quote, editing between the [/QUOTE] boxes would help to reduce the space taken up?

On my desktop PC browser (firefox) the latest post in a thread, whatever it is replying to, appears at the top of the page, where posts go in time and date order down the page.

ON EDIT - OG's post of 23:12, which I now see - when I refresh this thread, it appears under my message of 23:22, which (to repeat myself) is at the top of the page.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                              But doesn't your response still appear some way down the thread (related to the time it was posted), rather than identifiably in relation to the post to which you are responding?
                              That wouldn't matter and in any case it is not at issue. So long as there is some way of identifying responses with the posts they're responding to, I'm not bovvered.

Comment

Working...
                              X